System Shock Advanced Edition out on GOG

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: System Shock Advanced Edition out on GOG

Postby Xaser » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 pm

If this leads to a proper, well-done System Shock 3, I'm all for it.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby JimmyJ » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:54 pm

I don't dig the extreme amounts of bloom, but this is far from a final product, so I'm pretty excited.
JimmyJ
AKA Catweasel

Postby Nash » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 pm

They can't please everyone.

100% same level geometry = unrealistic, too abstract, boring, 90's level design, looks like SS1 reskinned with Unity
Modernized/realistic/functional level geometry (so it actually looks like a space station) = wahh wahhh u ruined SS with Unity grafic's

Me? The first one is fine I guess.
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Gez » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Dunno, of these two approaches I think the first is redundant with the Advanced Edition, while the second would at least bring something kinda new and different. With the screenshots shown so far, I see zero reason to play that System Shock 1v2 over the original.
Gez

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:40 pm

i haven't played SS myself, but giving it a modern look seems fine. it worked for Shadow Warrior, sorta, and the new Wolfenstein games are pretty good. why not this?

ultimately, making something brand-new would be even better, but i wouldn't turn my nose up at this unless it turned into like, Halo with horror-elements (which is an unlikely exaggeration, but still.)
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby Trance » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:43 pm

I prefer the gameplay of the second game, but the story, style and tone of the first game. I don't harbor any delusions of SS1's gameplay being timeless. So much of the genre was in the experimental stages back then, and there was plenty of stuff in SS1 that didn't get passed on to later generations because it was too basic or clunky to be worthwhile. Enemy AI wasn't far removed from that of Doom, and the UI continues to be irritating to this day, even after the arrival of mouselook. While nothing feels particularly gimmicky (though cyberspace comes close), some of the game's pieces don't fit into the overall picture all that well. Like they've given you too much variety of stuff to use and not quite enough situations to justify that variety.

This is me speaking about my favorite game of all time, by the way. More than any other game I've ever played, I've wanted a worthy expansion on the little world SS1 showed me since I first played it in the '90s. For me it is ALL about the setting, the story and the way they presented it. That's what captivated me the first time, and that's what brings me back to it every so often. That more than anything else is what they must preserve.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby SamVision » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:01 pm

I really liked the idea of the cyberspace hacking in the first game, lots of potential for interesting puzzles and story-telling there. I also liked the difficulty settings of the first game and I was bummed that neither of these two things were present in the second game.
SamVision

Postby Kinsie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:46 am

Xaser wrote:If this leads to a proper, well-done System Shock 3, I'm all for it.
Well now...
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Nash » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:59 am

Really interested with the new Underworld and Shock... hopefully they won't be watered by modern gameism/consolism.
Nash

Postby leileilol » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 am

the first person to call it Syst3m Sh0ck gets psi kick in face
leileilol
フォニュエール!!!!!!!!!!

Postby JimmyJ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Nash wrote:Really interested with the new Underworld and Shock... hopefully they won't be watered by modern gameism/consolism.

Has much information come out yet on the new Underworld? I can't really know what to expect at all with this System Shock 3.
JimmyJ
AKA Catweasel

Postby Nash » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:17 pm

JimmyJ wrote:
Nash wrote:Really interested with the new Underworld and Shock... hopefully they won't be watered by modern gameism/consolism.

Has much information come out yet on the new Underworld? I can't really know what to expect at all with this System Shock 3.

They post regularly on their Twitter and Facebook and I occasionally see WIP screenshots, but I haven't been really following it that close so I don't know (thanks to filtered items on my news feeds)
Nash

Postby Gez » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:25 am

They have a weekly newsletter. You can read them here: http://underwiki.com/wiki/Updates
Gez

Postby Kinsie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:02 am

Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby TheMightyHeracross » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Why uh-oh? It's just an announcement, they didn't even show anything yet.
TheMightyHeracross
...and remember: his silence is golden.

Discord: TheMightyHeracross#1716
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Previous

Return to Off-Topic