Questions about the GLOOME project?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Questions about the GLOOME project?

Postby Skwirl » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Hey, I'm a lurker here. Not too long ago, I caught wind of the GLOOME project, the one that completely rewrites GZdoom code to finally make it GPL and commercial-friendly (which by the way I owe an enormous thank-you to the project heads because that's what I've been looking for all this time).

I have a few questions about it...

=

1. How do I actually use/run it?

I downloaded the material from the Github site, and it's a whole slew of cmakes and other files. I installed Code::Blocks to see if I can find a way to compile it, and I don't see any solution file available. No main .exe file or anything. How does this work? Why not include a compiled version?

2. How much of the code is actually redone?

I snooped around some of the directories and saw some leftover materials from Zdoom (text files and stuff), so I don't know what is fully changed. I'd like to know if the engine is 100% wiped of license crud before I use it for any project.

3. Is it true that at a later point, the modding tools like ACS and DECORATE will be deprecated?

I read this on the to-do list of the project:

"angelscript to "replace" decorate and acs"

My question here is, what about how many tutorials and support there is for the two languages already? Wouldn't implementing a new language interrupt this for mods then now and to come? Does "replace" mean there will still be support and just add in a 3rd language?

4. Will there be support for local multiplayer? And what about running lobbies in-game?

Also on the to-do list I read about Zandronum MP. Will there be plans to make it so you can split-screen the game locally, on the same box, with game controllers, for old-school style gaming? Or make online game lobbies in-game instead of run on a separate program like Doomseeker or Odamex style?

=

I'm probably going to have more questions down the road, but these are the most important to me now. lol

Thank you all in advance.
Skwirl
Of creatings Countryball Combat!

Re: Questions about the GLOOME project?

Postby jpalomo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Skwirl wrote:1. How do I actually use/run it?

See here for how to build it. Everything should be the same except for the GLEW requirements.
jpalomo

Return to Off-Topic