So I did a thing (doom on 3DS XL)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: So I did a thing

Postby kevansevans » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:50 pm

wildweasel wrote:I had it running at a reasonable clip on a 600 mhz Celeron with 128 mb of RAM, but it'd choke a fair bit on mods with particle effects like Diaz.

Ram is fine, but I need evidence it can run at less than 268mhz. Going to see if I can find a way to simulate a processor that slow. Obviously heavy mod support wouldn't be something to aim for though, but not being limited to custom maps and sprites would be pretty cool.
kevansevans
Disciple of The Great God Imp
Spotlight Team

Github ID: kevansevans
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: So I did a thing (doom on 3DS XL)

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:45 pm

I haven't really had much luck running ZDoom on ARM. Then again the only platform I've worked with is my rather troublesome raspberry pi. I think having SDL2 support EGL would help, as I can't even get hardware acceleration in X to work properly and it causes any glx program to crash on launch (dunno why ZDoom needs hardware acceleration anyway).

I remember SDL 1.2 supported nds unofficially, but I haven't really checked if SDL2 does too.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby HannesH » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:42 am

Respect
HannesH
That guy who cant programm

Postby leileilol » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:38 am

kevansevans wrote:I need evidence it can run at less than 268mhz.

zdoom-2.8pre-1750 on an emulated Pentium 75MHz, no mmx, no sound, 320x200

(the sound code is a heavy bottleneck. it used to perform similarly on my actual 486 system years ago)

pcemzdoom6.jpg

also remember zdoom's really heavy on the tuned x86 assembly, it's not going to be the same per clock when it's all in C on a different CPU architecture obviously. With that in mind, your ambitions to port zdoom to 3ds is way easier said than done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leileilol
フォニュエール!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Hellser » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:40 pm

leileilol wrote: With that in mind, your ambitions to port zdoom to 3ds is way easier said than done

I think you're missing the point of him doing this. If this is his first time porting anything, then it's an accomplishment for him. He's sharing that with us. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need someone going "it's much harder to port this to [insert system here] than it is to the 3ds".
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby kevansevans » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Hellser wrote:
leileilol wrote: With that in mind, your ambitions to port zdoom to 3ds is way easier said than done

I think you're missing the point of him doing this. If this is his first time porting anything, then it's an accomplishment for him. He's sharing that with us. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need someone going "it's much harder to port this to [insert system here] than it is to the 3ds".

This wasn't me porting it, all I did was get someone else's version to work. I am however doing research to see if I could realistically run zdoom on a 3ds so if making a port would be something I want to do. Assuming leilei is to be believed, this is possible with more that enough room to get it running, and fine tune it to run at optimal performance.
kevansevans
Disciple of The Great God Imp
Spotlight Team

Github ID: kevansevans
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Hellser » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:49 pm

kevansevans wrote:This wasn't me porting it, all I did was get someone else's version to work

Which is an accomplishment in it self. I know that feeling; I mess with Linux once in a while, and getting something to compile and work feels amazing. Don't need someone to crush that feeling down.
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby DaMan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:49 am

Hello fellow ricer. :D
It really saddens me to see that people go out of their way to spend so much money on such expensive hardware and then squander their investment by running barely suitable software on it. To me, an extra 0.1% performance increase, even if I am only imagining it to be faster, is certainly worth one day a week recompiling all of the latest packages from source code.
DaMan
100M club member

Postby ibm5155 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm

kevansevans wrote:Anyone here know the minimum requirements ZDoom needs to run? Thinking of porting ZDoom to homebrew.

Pentium mnx 233, 128mb ram, 320x240. 30fps in most doom 1 and 2 maps.
Pentium 3 1GHz, 1gb ram 640x480 and you re ready to go to almost all mid
Core I3 3GHz, 2gb Ram and you should run any mods(but don't count akzos city and frozen time on it)
EDIT: Long time I did tested hexen on zdoom on a Pentium 133, it was a nice slideshow compared to the dos hexen
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Previous

Return to Off-Topic