do yall recommend switching to gimp?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: do yall recommend switching to gimp?

Postby esselfortium » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:09 am

I know exactly what you mean, Blox. Adjustment Layers and Layer Styles are absolutely crucial to my workflow. Smart Layers are pretty important at times too.
esselfortium

Postby zrrion the insect » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 am

agaures wrote:
The Zombie Killer wrote:(for example, I have yet to find GIMP's "color to alpha" feature in Photoshop)

Paint.NET has a plugin for this, as well as gradient maps and a whole bunch of other stuff. (Yeah paint.NET isn't all that advanced though, it's just nice and simple)

I've looked for plugins that do those things but haven't found an. Could you link to it?
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Tormentor667 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:I found Gimp more or less unusable, thanks to the incredibly obtuse user interface.
Whoever designed this, is in desperate need of UI design lessons. Which is too bad, feature-wise it's actually quite good.

Exactly that. If you are used to PS, you will hate Gimp
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Kontra Kommando » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:I found Gimp more or less unusable, thanks to the incredibly obtuse user interface.
Whoever designed this, is in desperate need of UI design lessons.

Which is too bad, feature-wise it's actually quite good.

Once you get used to it, its not so bad. The color selector feature is awesome.

Tormentor667 wrote:
Whoever designed this, is in desperate need of UI design lessons. Which is too bad, feature-wise it's actually quite good.

Since I learned gimp first, I've been using both to do certain things that I haven't figured out yet in PS.
Kontra Kommando
Weyland-Yutani Commando

Postby cambertian » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:

I was used to PS and I don't think I've ever hated Gimp when I was forced to use it.
cambertian
Resident Non-Programming Programmer

Discord: cambertian#6245
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Blox » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:52 pm

I'm pretty sure we're talking "5+ years of using photoshop" used to it.
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Blzut3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Blox wrote:It has support for a gradient map filter, but that is absolutely useless in comparison to a realtime filter applied to underlying layers - since you can't easily work in greyscale with the former of the two.

Ahh. Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to say with destructive vs non-destructive editing. The only non-destructive thing the GIMP has is layer alpha blending. There's a reason it's called an image manipulation program. :P

It's a very powerful image editor, but it's not a photoshop replacement by any means even though some people want to believe it is.
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby agaures » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 pm

zrrion the insect wrote:
agaures wrote:
The Zombie Killer wrote:(for example, I have yet to find GIMP's "color to alpha" feature in Photoshop)

Paint.NET has a plugin for this, as well as gradient maps and a whole bunch of other stuff. (Yeah paint.NET isn't all that advanced though, it's just nice and simple)

I've looked for plugins that do those things but haven't found an. Could you link to it?

Color to alpha, another color to alpha, gradient mapping...
agaures
Stop sitting on me scalliano.

Postby Blox » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:16 am

Another fun thing is that some people also don't realize that photoshop is a most excellent program for spriting thanks to these non-destructive elements, since you can work within the boundaries of a palette without being restricted to the palette while working. (Since the featureset of photoshop in the "indexed" colormode is "limited" to put it mildly.)

A gradient map filter is a far cry from a gradient map layer - you can't change the former later on, should you decide to experiment or improve the gradient map, and you certainly can't keep on drawing in black/white after you've applied it either.
Not to mention that all you have to do to apply it or mask out an area of the image from being filtered is to scribble white/black onto the mask and you're done - with a normal filter, that means manually reselecting everything unless you store the selection in a dummy layer, and editing that isn't as comfortable as the mask both due to the lack of realtime response on the image and your white/black instead being brush/eraser.

if it wasn't clear enough yet then this is a very big deal
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby agaures » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:29 am

But... money.
agaures
Stop sitting on me scalliano.

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:16 pm

agaures wrote:But... money.

who said anything about buying Photoshop? :p

(note: i would absolutely buy Photoshop if Adobe wasn't a bag of dicks and didn't force you to either sign up for their cloud service to use it (monthly fees are the absolute last thing i need now), or buy EVERYTHING in one bundle (when i would only be interested in Photoshop and maybe After Effects.)
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby raymoohawk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

so gimp cant do adjustment layers? :(

i think ill keep photoshop then, but i'll use gimp for basic grayscale painting or drawing
raymoohawk

Postby printz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm on Mac OSX and use Pixelmator, which is no Photoshop, but is totally awesome for my Dooming needs. I love how simple its interface is. For detailed pixel editing I use Pixen, which is like a MSPaint with layers and full palette support. Both are available on the App Store.

I had an opportunity to try Photoshop demo; I found the interface very difficult and non-intuitive, but I suppose professionals know their tool. I suppose Photoshop is the best and probably would make Doom drawing ridiculously easy, but it's clearly for people who make money off their art, and I won't pirate any software for my Doom hobbies.
printz
Eternity, Eureka and AutoDoom programmer

Github ID: ioan-chera
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Blox » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:05 pm

printz wrote:I suppose Photoshop is the best and probably would make Doom drawing ridiculously easy, but it's clearly for people who make money off their art, and I won't pirate any software for my Doom hobbies.

The reason there is such an unusually high number of people proficient in expensive software these days is because we live in a time and age where people can develop skills for these programs for years before they go pro.
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby TheBadHustlex » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:10 pm

But why would I wanna go pro if I don't need it for business? 900€ is not a cheap price if you're not making money with it.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic