do yall recommend switching to gimp?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: do yall recommend switching to gimp?

Postby Trance » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:22 am

raymoohawk wrote:been toying around with gimp, and i have to admit the interface does slow me down a lot, i wasnt able to use single window mode because the menus didnt fit on the screen when i did.

You can drag the border of the side windows inward to increase the width.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby raymoohawk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:17 pm

it doesnt let me do that on single window mode
raymoohawk

Postby Trance » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:44 pm

...strange. It lets me do that.

EDIT: I wanted to verify you were placing the cursor correctly with an example screenshot of my own but apparently Windows 7 doesn't capture the cursor when you hit PrintScreen. >: (
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby Rexhunter99 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm using GIMP 2 as I run Linux primarily on my laptop, which I'm most often using more than my desktop.
It took some getting used to but after I did, I've pretty much decided I prefer it over Photoshop (except for it's really sketchy support of drawing tablets) Single Window mode helps a lot for keeping organised but I won't use that unless I have 1600x900 or higher resolution available.
I've also used MSPaint for spiriting in the past or Game Maker: Studio, though I much preferred the GM6,7,8 sprite editors.

An example of what I've done with Game Maker's older generation sprite editors: URL to GIF
And two examples of MSPaint actually being useful for more than laughing at Microsoft: Character Sprite and Scorpions, scorpions everywhere

I originally tried GIMP and immediately disliked it's use of multiple windows by default (back when I was using Adobe Photoshop CS1) however as Adobe spat out the newer creative suites, they removed some key layer features that I found integral to Photoshop and one of the only reasons why I wouldn't try other software suites... so come CS4 I gave GIMP on Windows a try again and found the Single Window Mode feature and have been using it ever since. It's free and there's generally a lot of updates to it by skilled programmers. It does lack a massive library of plugins but part of that is because most people who make plugins for Photoshop either pirated their copy or simply dislike GIMP. Most of the time the default set of features is enough for pretty much everyone.

I actually find that GIMP's load time is much better than Photoshop so if I want to do some quite editing I can, unlike Photoshop which I have to wait up to five minutes for all the dependencies to be collected and loaded.

Ultimately it's all up to you as the spriter/artist, whatever makes you the most comfortable or works best with what hardware/tools you already have is what you should use, don't let others sway you just because they like the product they use better than the one you use (unless there are genuine benefits to their product over yours)
Rexhunter99

Postby Blox » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:40 am

Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby TheBadHustlex » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 am

With my PC, Gimp takes like 8 Seconds to open for the first time after booting up the PC, and every time after that, it takes ~3 Secs. I only have a RAM-Drive.

I'd say you switch to whatever seems more appealing to you. The big image-manipulation-programs are all really different in terms of interface and stuff.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

Postby Blzut3 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:52 pm

A little surprised to see what appears to be unanimous dislike for GIMP's interface. I don't find it nearly as bad as everyone else so I'm kind of curious to hear some specifics of what people find annoying about it. The only complaint I have is that the multi-window mode can't be a little bit of a pain, but there's no the single window mode that works just fine for me.

As for GIMP vs Photoshop, they're programs that target slightly different aspects of image editing. From what I understand most of Photoshop is non-destructive effects, where as almost everything in GIMP is destructive. Lots of overlap in functionality, but if you're looking at GIMP as an open source Photoshop then it will clearly be an inferior product since it doesn't work the same way.
Blox wrote:I haven't seen any GIMP functionality that mimics this, which happens to be the single most important part of my workflow.

I can't tell what feature you're trying to demonstrate?
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Rexhunter99 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Offtopic: Your screen resolution is ridiculously huge Blox, haha!

Yeah not sure what you're demonstrating there. As for the second comment, I find that GIMP seems to slow down during load-time on Windows, likely because of the enormous amount of propriety fonts pre-installed on Windows and all the other bloatware hooks that GIMP has to use to get working properly on the operating system (An unfortunate side-effect of the module-system that Windows uses.)
Rexhunter99

Postby Jaxxoon R » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Anyone know where I can find a decent brush for GIMP? The default one looks worse than MS Paint's 9th brush somehow.
Jaxxoon R

Postby Blox » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:34 am

Blzut3 wrote:
Blox wrote:I haven't seen any GIMP functionality that mimics this, which happens to be the single most important part of my workflow.

I can't tell what feature you're trying to demonstrate?

Adjustment layers - effects applied in real time to the masked areas underneath the layers.
I live through gradient map abuse.

Rexhunter99 wrote:I find that GIMP seems to slow down during load-time on Windows, likely because of the enormous amount of propriety fonts pre-installed on Windows and all the other bloatware hooks that GIMP has to use to get working properly on the operating system (An unfortunate side-effect of the module-system that Windows uses.)

sure is a good thing nobody uses windows in this time and age
It's funny you mention that though, since it really shows just how much GIMP is not designed for winblows.
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Snarboo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 am

Blox wrote:I live through gradient map abuse.
A cursory Google search shows that Gimp does in fact support them! Odds are good that Gimp supports most of the same features as Photoshop, they're just under a different name.
Snarboo
Bacon doesn't know it's not dogs

Postby The Zombie Killer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:33 am

I'm a little late to the party but, I don't think "switching" to GIMP is really the best option. In my opinion (note: my opinion), a better option is a combination of GIMP and Photoshop, and possibly some other tools. When working on something image related, I usually keep GIMP and Photoshop open to perform tasks, because GIMP has features Photoshop doesn't and vice-versa (for example, I have yet to find GIMP's "color to alpha" feature in Photoshop).

That's just my personal workflow though.
The Zombie Killer
King of the Kangaroos

Discord: Zombie#1795

Postby Blox » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36 am

Snarboo wrote:
Blox wrote:I live through gradient map abuse.
A cursory Google search shows that Gimp does in fact support them! Odds are good that Gimp supports most of the same features as Photoshop, they're just under a different name.

It has support for a gradient map filter, but that is absolutely useless in comparison to a realtime filter applied to underlying layers - since you can't easily work in greyscale with the former of the two.
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby agaures » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:01 am

The Zombie Killer wrote:(for example, I have yet to find GIMP's "color to alpha" feature in Photoshop)

Paint.NET has a plugin for this, as well as gradient maps and a whole bunch of other stuff. (Yeah paint.NET isn't all that advanced though, it's just nice and simple)
agaures
Stop sitting on me scalliano.

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:20 am

I also only use GIMP for specific things, while offloading other work to programs like mypaint (better tablet support) or mtpaint (better dithering and palette reduction), sometimes I even write my own programs for things that are just... too ridiculously specific, like tilemap slicing and reordering or 3D LUT generation.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic