do yall recommend switching to gimp?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: do yall recommend switching to gimp?

Postby cambertian » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:26 pm

I only recommend GIMP because it has an easy filter to make repeatable tiles. Other than that, I use Photoshop and Paint.net.
cambertian
Resident Non-Programming Programmer

Discord: cambertian#6245
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Flynn Taggart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:09 pm

I use Paint.NET in combination with GIMP alot and I don't really have any major problems, I recommend enabling Single-Window mode like Scripten said if you're used to Photoshop's interface though. Apparently many people are unaware of this feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flynn Taggart

Postby leileilol » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Yes you should GIMP is the best because it's Free Software and if there's a problem you have with it, you can edit the source yourself because everyone who uses open source software is assumed to be a knowledgable programmer according to Debian and FSF
leileilol
フォニュエール!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:55 pm

I don't recommend GIMP to anyone who wants to stay sane or would rather not delve into ridiculous nonsense (that is somewhat useful) like 64-bit floating point per channel images (make sure you bring lots of RAM with you).
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gez » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:23 am

Flynn Taggart wrote:I use Paint.NET in combination with GIMP alot and I don't really have any major problems, I recommend enabling Single-Window mode like Scripten said if you're used to Photoshop's interface though. Apparently many people are unaware of this feature.

I just tried it. Gimp promptly made my toolbox disappear (of course it did, it was a different window) and stubbornly refused to present the tools anywhere inside the remaining window. This seems to present more problems than it solves!
Gez

Postby Scripten » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 am

That's strange. You should be able to go to the window menu and fix that without too much trouble. For reference, here's what my mostly default GIMP window looks like:

Spoiler:

It's really weird to see all the criticism of the UI. Blender I can kind of understand, but GIMP has never really struck me as incredibly unfriendly. (Not to say I don't believe you guys. Just surprising.)
Scripten
Oh, that's simply delicious!

Discord: Scripten#3195

Postby phantombeta » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:39 am

I used to use GIMP. Then I got Photoshop. Now I find GIMP's UI terrible.
I still occasionally use it for some things like paths and shit.
phantombeta
Tired of being treated like trash by control freaks

Postby TerminusEst13 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:45 am

I think whatever works for you is the program you should use. Give it a run, try it out. Try Paint.net, try Artweaver, check out the different options and see which one's more comfortable for you.

Ultimately a useless post, but hey, I'm saying it anyway.
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:49 pm

esselfortium wrote:You might be interested in Pro Motion for sprite work, though, regardless. I know ptoing swears by it for pixel art. It's an image editor that's specifically oriented towards indexed color, tiling textures, and detailed pixel work.
I got that in the Humble Bundle recently, it looks pretty amazing! I'll have to actually give it a try.

leileilol wrote:Yes you should GIMP is the best because it's Free Software and if there's a problem you have with it, you can edit the source yourself because everyone who uses open source software is assumed to be a knowledgable programmer according to Debian and FSF
I always love it when some FOSS program's FAQ includes this kind of "helpful hint". Frequently it means the programmer doesn't give two damns about standards or user feedback.

If I was that good a programmer, I would be making my own tools because a lot of FOSS ones suck. (Sometimes, you do "get what you pay for.")
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby XCVG » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:59 pm

The biggest problem with FOSS software is not the features or capability but the user interface, almost without exception. Blender is the worst offender in my opinion, but GIMP isn't much better. It's just needlessly counter-intuitive and nobody has ever bothered to fix it.

I've used both, but I prefer Photoshop by far. There was a fork of GIMP called GIMPshop that added a Photoshop-like UI to GIMP, but I think it's ancient history now.
XCVG

Postby Trance » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:17 am

Scripten's suggestion of single-window mode eliminated the one problem I had with GIMP's UI. It may not be Photoshop's UI, but on its own merits it's absolutely fine. It'd be nice if GIMP had access to the sea of plugins that Photoshop has, though.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby TheBadHustlex » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:15 am

I have always used GIMP, I never had problems with it. I'm very familiar with the interface, and I have more trouble using PS oder Paint.Net by now.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 am

XCVG wrote:The biggest problem with FOSS software is not the features or capability but the user interface, almost without exception. Blender is the worst offender in my opinion, but GIMP isn't much better. It's just needlessly counter-intuitive and nobody has ever bothered to fix it.
I have less problem with Blender's interface and more with the fact that they rewrite the backend API constantly, making addons insanely version-dependent. (Plus their numbering system makes it virtually impossible to determine beforehand what will still work or not.)

Trance wrote:It'd be nice if GIMP had access to the sea of plugins that Photoshop has, though.
PSP can use a lot of (older?) Photoshop plugins, so I know it's possible to cross-support them. But since we're talking about free software, this might be a patent-related tangle.
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby raymoohawk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 am

been toying around with gimp, and i have to admit the interface does slow me down a lot, i wasnt able to use single window mode because the menus didnt fit on the screen when i did. pressure sensitivity and all that stuff seems to work fine
raymoohawk

Postby Dancso » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:12 am

I have no gripe with the Blender interface myself either. It's definitely a lot of functions to learn how to use and locate, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Then again, I've not used any other modeling program in the extent that I've used Blender, so I may be missing out on one that is more user friendly :P

As for gimp, I'm not fond of it either... you could say... the interface is kinda... gimped.

..somebody had to do it.
Dancso
bow wow

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic