What Got You Into ZDooM?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: What Got You Into ZDooM?

Post by DoomRater »

ZDoom made it easier to work with mods so once I heard about it and found it easier to work with than Legacy, I was hooked.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Doomsday shot itself in the foot and Legacy was clearly going nowhere.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

A friend gave me a pirated copy of Doom 2 packed with Zandronum & Brutal Doom.

I've since bought it and used GZDoom with software rendering at daytime, and OpenGL at nighttime because f.lux doesn't work with software rendering.
Mayhem666

Post by Mayhem666 »

First played doom with the port (doom95) back in the 90s. and when i became interessed in playing the game again. ( because i got to play the 64 version and got really obssessed about it ). So i search the net to find a "mordern" way to play those games. And i find out about zdoom and i thought it would be a cool thing. Started out with the 2.4 or 2.5 version, but i'm on the forums only since 2012 though.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

A friend of mine introduced me to another source port. Think it might have been Legacy. Later I wanted to try it out again, probably forgot the name and found ZDoom instead somehow.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

I was using doomsday because the prettier effecs, then tried zdoom specific maps... never turned back :)
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Waay back my brother got an ancient version of zdoom from somewhere. I always thought it was "that cool program that finally allowed you to mouselook".
I also had that demo wad showcasing swimming, polyobjects, etc.
In my "early internet years" I figured I'd look up zdoom, only to find it's now miles ahead of the version I had. Blew my mind.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

I think I came upon Zdoom because of idGames-Archive, somehow. GZDoom came later on.
I found out that it is simpler then the original and offers way more ways to modify the game.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Way back, I was trying to use EDGE to make DE, since it was the only port I knew of that had custom weapon support. I started mapping for it, but then in-game i found part of my maps weren't being rendered after a certain size. Then I realized the original Doom/Doom2 engine had a maximum size for how big a map could be, and EDGE didn't have BOOM support that massively upped this limit. It also had various other limitations, such as not being able to put two player-activated line specials too close together - 32 map units (?) next to one another (like having a switch within 32 units of a door special, would cause the door to not work).

I've only used ZDoom for the Zdoombot at that point, but thought I check it out since it had a lot of the things I wanted, including custom weapons and monsters (although no where near as flexible as it is today). Never looked back after I got GZdoom's 3D floors. :P
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

It was in a big package of game ports I came across years and years ago. It came with both ZDoom and GZDoom, I remember not being a fan of the latter's linear filtering at the time. It was neat being able to play Heretic in native Windows, at least.
Ma77

Post by Ma77 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q_8gxOxuIg
Samsara and brutal doom v18 is why i discovered zdoom. Just the concept of that mod was brilliant. With how i got on zdoom was that i 1st got Zandronum (around 2013) and i played as bj all the way through doom 2 and holy hell it was a different experience. i Played the Ps1 doom first and likes it and than i got doom 3 bfg and i wanted doom even more so the 2013 steam sale comes and i bought so many games its not even funny. After Zandronum i tried a mapset and i didnt work at all so i found this site and made an account and downloaded gzdoom and zdoom and played way too many mods to count since.
Boreas249

Post by Boreas249 »

My mom.
Since I was 5 I kept trying to watch her play it (she forbid me for the most part though) but she finally allowed me to play once I hit 8 years of age.
Continued playing through the years and now I'm still playing and modding to this day.
Die hard, DooM fans!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

leileilol wrote:Doomsday shot itself in the foot and Legacy was clearly going nowhere.
Big C

Post by Big C »

leileilol wrote:Doomsday shot itself in the foot and Legacy was clearly going nowhere.
I'm honestly much more impressed with what the Sonic Robo Blast 2 team has done with Legacy than what Legacy's creator has done with it. :P

Also, remind me what Doomsday did to sabotage itself, again?

Return to “Off-Topic”