Is doomworld down?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Is doomworld down?

Postby edward850 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:37 am

Jaxxoon R wrote:Now it's down and apparently full of malware. That can't be good.

Not it's not and it isn't. Flush your DNS cache and tell Avast to shut up. Or better yet stop using Avast.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Jaxxoon R » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:39 am

Details.

Minor details.
Jaxxoon R

Postby Project Dark Fox » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 pm

edward850 wrote:
Jaxxoon R wrote:Now it's down and apparently full of malware. That can't be good.

Not it's not and it isn't. Flush your DNS cache and tell Avast to shut up. Or better yet stop using Avast.

Do you propose an alternative?
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby edward850 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Probably the wrong person to ask. I don't use anything, because I'm more than capable of looking after my own computer. :P
We don't have any actual viral infections anymore, and Java/Flash being disabled by default prevents automatic installs from any rogue ads. And I certainly don't install any shit without looking at what it's going to do first. MSE (Preinstalled since 8, renamed to/replaced defender) does a perfectly good job finding any old Win95 era infections from any old archive disks. Not that they would succeed in doing anything in a properly configured Windows, anyway.

And honestly, the one thing I keep finding in servicing is Anti Virus doesn't seem to do dick to the kind of crap people commonly infect their computers with. It's usually a matter of having to find out yourself that there's something wrong because hidden files/extensions is forcibly disabled and there's something subtly redirecting Google search results. And it's always faster to just clean it out manually, if not the only way to actually get it done.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby wildweasel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Regardless of your security software, I also find it's a good policy to never surf without an ad blocker. Sites that demand that I disable my blocker can go straight to hell.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Big C » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:25 pm

wildweasel wrote:Regardless of your security software, I also find it's a good policy to never surf without an ad blocker. Sites that demand that I disable my blocker can go straight to hell.

Oh good, so I'm not the only one---although thankfully prettymuch all sites I surf merely REQUEST I do so for the sake of keeping them in business, not force me to.
Big C

Previous

Return to Off-Topic