"Display driver stopped working and has recovered"

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: "Display driver stopped working and has recovered"

Post by wildweasel »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:it's an external drive, though, maybe that makes foobar freak out? but if so, why's it only happening recently and not earlier?
Shouldn't be; my entire music library (some 24,000+ songs) lives in a 750GB Western Digital MyPassport, and I spend my evenings shuffling very fast through the entire thing. Though my video card is Nvidia, not AMD, so my situation might be different from earlier reports of this problem.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

It also doesn't even make any sense, seeing as foobar doesn't appear to initialise any sort of hardware rendering surface. Well, basic foobar2000 sure doesn't.
Either way, it sounds like your actual issue lies with ATIs GL driver support (and thus anything that happens to use it, like Slade). Not any one specific program.
It's even a question if that's the issue itself, as killing the display driver is a surefire way the kill anything interfacing with it as well. You have a chicken/egg scenario.
Nash

Post by Nash »

This has happened a lot for many years (since 2008) on several different graphics card (all nvidia). I don't like to say this is "normal" but I've just sort of learned to just deal with it. Sometimes it gets bad and happens way too often (with one of my older nvidias) so I had to re-seat the GPU.

Still happens on my new GPU from a few months back (GTX 960) but rarely... I think like 3 times so far?
Blox

Post by Blox »

Nash wrote:Still happens on my new GPU from a few months back (GTX 960) but rarely... I think like 3 times so far?
Now that's strange, because I've never had anything like this occur on mine - even in the seven years I used a 9800 GT.

Unless I'm overclocking the GPU to the point where it crashes, of course.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'm not using an AMD card by the way. i used to, it was integrated in the CPU, but i got a Nvidia card i plugged in later, a Geforce 750 Ti.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Blox: There's just no explanation. These things have happened to me on different sets of hardware (ie different builds, different mobos etc) so I really don't know what's up.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I bought a GTX 970 recently and updated my nvidia driver, it began to crash every two hours or so. The problem mysteriously disappeared when I removed an addon from Chrome, one that decreases the RAM usage. Odd. :?
Viscra Maelstrom

so if foobar isn't the problem, perhaps it's an addon installed that causes this issue for me? how would i check to see if it'd solve anything or not? i kind of rely a bit too much on listening to music via foobar, and i doubt any other player would load in roughly 2+ terabyte of data as well.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Just think, y'all. In XP, each one of those driver restarts would have been a bluescreen.

Try downgrading video card drivers. Did you upgrade right before the problems started?
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

if you get a notebook mix of intel hd + amd hd gpus you'll be in that common world, windows 8/8.1/10 is affected by bad drivers, and drivers conflict btw intel gpu and amd gpu, and NO, you cannot just use AMD gpu,they are actually a team, since the only gpu connected to external monitor and to the proper screen is the intel gpu, so you need both '-'...
A good part is that since 2 years of this hungers drivers game, amd "discovered" the problem over windows 10 preview forum (maybe because there's some 60 page full of people conplaining about it)...

about the message, it's driver or gpu temperature, I beat drivers, and I'll not lie, sometimes you need to format the machine for do a proper driver clean
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

ibm5155, I'm not sure that you know what you're talking about. Your post is very difficult to understand.
Blox

Post by Blox »

ibm5155 wrote:sometimes you need to format the machine for do a proper driver clean
hello from the future
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

GooberMan wrote:Just think, y'all. In XP, each one of those driver restarts would have been a bluescreen.
I'll admit this is WAY better than having to restart the entire machine but it's still tough to isolate the cause since any number of things could be causing the issue. Pretty soon we'll have detailed GPU crashes that we can submit to our graphics card drivers, kinda like how we have detailed appcrashes that can be sent to developers. At least, I hope so.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DoomRater wrote:
GooberMan wrote:Just think, y'all. In XP, each one of those driver restarts would have been a bluescreen.
I'll admit this is WAY better than having to restart the entire machine but it's still tough to isolate the cause since any number of things could be causing the issue. Pretty soon we'll have detailed GPU crashes that we can submit to our graphics card drivers, kinda like how we have detailed appcrashes that can be sent to developers. At least, I hope so.
The crash-handler in the latest KDE is almost the greatest crash dialogue I've ever experienced. I was briefly testing Kubuntu on a laptop, but found Plasma kept crashing (known issue, apparently). Eventually, I started looking at the "report" button to see what all would happen. Firstly, it shows a memory dump. Secondly, it attempts to use debug symbols, and if the debugging tools aren't installed, it offers to do this for you, without losing the crash data. Thirdly, it has a neat little analysis feature that will tell you how useful your crash dump will be to the developers, right down to attempting to figure out if the crash has already been reported.

About the only thing that got in my way: it requires you to register an account at the bug tracker. Telling it "no" and trying to skip registration winds up throwing out the crash report entirely.

I've since switched my laptop to Linux Mint 17 running the Cinnamon desktop, which has (thankfully) not managed to crash yet, so I haven't seen if that sort of handling is now typical of Linuxes or if this is something exclusive to KDE. I think I would much like to see this everywhere in the future...without the account registration crap.
Viscra Maelstrom

okay, so i think i may have found the actual cause to the display driver crashing. foobar doesn't have any kind of hardware rendering stuff it uses, but apparently something with Logitech Gaming Software does. i just so happen to use a foobar addon that utilizes LGS with my Logitech G15 keyboard, and googling for that kind of crash actually netted me a few results. crazy hypothesis or?

Return to “Off-Topic”