Subway manspreading.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
ShadowTiger

Subway manspreading.

Post by ShadowTiger »

It apparently very recently became illegal to sit down on a New York City subway seat and spread your legs apart to take up more than one seat. I'm not really surprised. It's pretty annoying for the chronically exhausted denizens of that maddening city to have to behold more than a dozen "empty" seats on a subway and be forced to stand regardless.

Some people won't stand for that, (Pun possibly intended) as it were. Illegal or not, people manspread regardless, and there are definitely people who will absolutely sit the hell down on those assorted limbs that occupy their future seat.

I am one of those people will sit on your leg if you leave me no other choice but to do so. I have no qualms with it in the slightest. It's a private leg occupying a public chair.

Perhaps one day I will get to sit on someone's backpack, or carefully baked cake. Hell, I've seen Subway Pigeons fly down onto peoples' legs before while they're sitting down.

What's your take on people who occupy too much space on public transportation unnecessarily? What would you do when no amount of "excuse me" seems to work?
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Subway manspreading.

Post by Woolie Wool »

ShadowTiger wrote:What's your take on people who occupy too much space on public transportation unnecessarily? What would you do when no amount of "excuse me" seems to work?
People who "manspread" should have their intruding body parts sat on by the fattest person in the subway car. If that doesn't work, have the second-fattest person sit in the fattest person's lap for additional weight.

If no sufficiently obese people are available, they should be stricken repeatedly in the genitals with a large rod until they sit up straight.
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

No, you know what really SHOULD be illegal? People who do this shit:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Meh, stinky lowlifes at the capital do it all the time. They literally live on the damn seats. They eat there, they sleep there, they urinate and crap in them, or underneath them, too. The underground pedestrial crossways are filled with stinky lowlifes laying on cardboard boxes or thrown-out junkyard bed pieces too. And ye, they urinate and crap around themselves, they...they're animals, just animals. And as you can expect, the authorities will do nothing to stop this.
I'm perfectly aware that tolerance, empathy and such things still exist in the universe, but there are hard-working people, who actually do something other than begging for cash and spending it on booze. Now, these hard-working people deserve to use a clean, well maintained underground transit system (or bus/tram/anything), which they actually keep alive by buying tickets, season tickets, and paying taxes. I never thought I'll say this, but seeing such phenomenon for decades made me wish to criminalize homelessness. If they want to live like rats, then they should move to the sewer. If everyone buys the damn ticket for a bus ride, they should, too. It's incredibly funny how they're free of any persecutions. Law is law, and must be applied to everyone. If I'm not allowed to shit meself in the middle of the sub station, they shouldn't be allowed to do the same, too.

I'd love to show these scenarios to those New York subway cops, or whatnots. Sorry if I was a little bit off-topic, but this seemed the most appropiate topic for it.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Well this devolved into classist Fuck-You-Got-Mine-ery quickly.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Woolie Wool wrote:Well this devolved into classist Fuck-You-Got-Mine-ery quickly.
I think it may just be Reactor-ist Reactor-being-Reactor in this case, really.

Reactor, we can tell you have opinions. That's not the problem. The problem is that the way you PHRASE your opinions is not going to make you many friends, and that on top of that habit of ridiculous slang you only managed to cut off lately.

Cut down the edginess, would you?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah I don't know what Reactor's big problem is, but I'm seeing a lot of really long and angry posts from him lately. Opinions are fine, but could you dial down the aggression and such, please?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Yes, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. It was just to emphasize, nothing more. Besides, I'm sure we've all met the same thing before. I could also mention people who put their baggages atop seats on bus/in train, which'd be a pretty similar scenario, so unfortunately, this problem is quite widespread.
(and no, they will not put them on the baggage shelves for some unknown reason)
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I always remeber the Metro in DC being pretty classy, probaly nice fast and reliable service. DC has gone really downhill since i left DC
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

As a frequent baggage carrier, I have no such luxury as a baggage shelf. No bus or light rail around here has those, and there is no space under seats. So I have to either put my bag between my legs (leading to unintentional and unsolvable leg spread) or in my lap (preventing me from doing damn near anything else except clinging to the bag to prevent it flying off due to the drivers' sudden braking).
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Baggage shelves here are "indigenous" only to inter-city buses, Neoplans and such, and trains. Blue buses (within city limits) and trams have none. Therefore, problems only arise on inter-city buses and trains mostly, if someone fills up the entire cabin with his/her stuff. Within city limits, I always hold my stuff in my lap, or leave it on my back when I'm standing. Putting them under seats might be a bad idea, thieves like to grab a stuff or two from these neatly placed packages, and seeing that it's underneath you and a bus/tram is quite noisy, it'll be a ripe opportunity for them to have an easy score.
On trains, where every passenger pays for a seat, there are smaller-bigger affairs from other people putting all the stuff onto presumably empty seats. I must admit, I did the same when I was trying to get some sleep, and used my bag as a pillow - but that was around midnight, and hardly 10 people were travelling on that particular train.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Unrelatedly, when I first heard the word 'manspreading', my first thoughts were of something...Uh...

...Llllleeeeeeewwwwwwwddddddd.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Well it actually is a bit lewd to sit in a way that calls attention to your area.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

agreed, thats why i stay away from subways
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

In hot Summer days, when the temperature is around 40 °C, subway can be a lifesaver, quite literally. It's windy you know :D

Return to “Off-Topic”