Require Processor purchase help

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Require Processor purchase help

Postby Amuscaria » Tue May 26, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm currently looking at new potential processors to upgrade my rig. Below is the image of what I have (on the left) and the two I'm comparing to buy:

Spoiler:

I must admit I know next to nothing about processors outside of what Ghz mean. :P I don't know what makes a processor better besides that, and the power they use (and the price they go for, obviously). I don't know what L2 and L3 Cache are, and apparently not that clock speed isn't the sole measure of CPU power anymore, as the 3.6 ghz Intel is better than the 4.0 ghz AMD, supposedly. I also don't really understand the multicore concept and how a 4x core is better than the 8x core because it has multithreading. I don't have a lot of money right now, but I do need a processor that's good enough to run Zbrush and various other animation software I'll need for my career, so I don't want to end up with something that will choke up with the ultra hi-poly models I'll be making for the medical industry. Might someone share some tips?

I also need to add that I'm not sure if my Power Supply is enough to run the AMD x8 with, which needs 30 extra Watts. I have a 600 heavy duty power supply, but I have a EVGA GTX 960 in my computer already, that eats up (according to the box) 400 watts. I'm not sure how much power the rest of the stuff in my computer uses. I'm assuming it's not too much to run 3 small, and 1 large fan.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Re: Require Processor purchase help

Postby Hellser » Tue May 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Peaches to Apples, it depends on what your money situation is. Please note that you can run ZBrush with a cheaper Intel Processor such as the 4690k (or lack of k, for cheaper prices). The issue with AMD's choice of selection there is the fact that it's using additional cores to try and compete with the better performance per core Intel Core i5/i7s. Programs you might try to run that use a single core - and yes, there's still some out there - will run slower on AMD than on Intel.

Now, I'm not trying to put AMD down. It's a good company to go to if you're looking for a cheap processor that just works. It'll do what you've asked. How fast? Well... That depends. It can keep up with any gaming you want to do; that's never an issue. As benchmarks from many websites show that Intel and AMD are roughly neck-for-neck (with Intel being in the lead). But when it comes down to the power of each individual core.. Intel just takes the cake and claim it as its own.

Bottom line?
Go for AMD if you're really short on money. We'll understand, and ZBrush should run fine. Just know the cores aren't powerful per core as Intel. (DUDE! 8-CORES! 12-CORES! ALL THE CORES!)
Go for Intel if you care to spend the cash. Join the Blue Club! Intel processors are just better. But you won't have bragging rights akin to AMD. (4 Cores with Hyperthreading: "8" Cores)

Edit: Cleaned some things up.. Also: Food for thought.
Hellser
Remember Citadel

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Blzut3 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Your 600W power supply should be plenty. I have a system running two Opteron 285s (over 9 years old) 95W processors, a GTX 960 4GB edition, hardware RAID (in JBOD mode, but there's a PowerPC processor on the card so yeah), plus two other expansion cards and it runs fine under load on a 550W power supply.

Can't really say what processor to choose. You can't really compare numbers directly and say that one processor is better than the other. If what you do is multithreaded and uses primarily integer operations then the AMD processor will be faster. On the other hand if it's primarily floating point then the Intel processor's much higher instruction per clock will win (AMD shares an FPU between two "cores" making their cores actually more similar to Intel's hyperthreading).
Blzut3
Pronounced: B-l-zut

Github ID: Blzut3
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Blox » Tue May 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Getting a i5-4690(k if you're the overclocking sort) would likely be a better bang for the buck than the i7 you're listing there - it's not that much slower, but it sure is that much cheaper.

p.s.: a 960 GTX eats up <170w at most (in most cases it's more like <=125w), and that's when it is made to squeeze out everything it's got while running at a ridiculous overclock - not 400w
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Woolie Wool » Tue May 26, 2015 7:27 pm

AMD's processors are a generation and a half behind, get Intel. I'd normally recommend the i5, but if you're doing stuff like 3D rendering/CAD, the i7 will be better.

E: though if people are saying zBrush will run fine on the AMD processors, than an i5 or even an i3 will be fine. But the i7 is nice if you're doing really heavy-duty 3D work.
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Postby Amuscaria » Tue May 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Ah cool. Intel it is then.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Blox » Tue May 26, 2015 7:42 pm

At stock clocks the i7 would definitely be better than a i5, but getting a a i5-4690k and using the money saved (about 60 bucks) from not buying the i7-4790 on a good CPU cooler and using that to run it nice and cool at ~4.1 ghz would likely be even better.
Of course it would affect the longevity of the CPU a bit, but that's life.

in fact the only reason i am running this thing at 3.9 ghz is because the reputably excellent cpu cooler i ordered was a bit troublesome
at least the thermal paste is alright!
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Return to Off-Topic