Open Broadcaster Software question

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Big C

Open Broadcaster Software question

Post by Big C »

Is there any way to make OBS save video footage as any format besides .flv?

I'm new to OBS and still figuring out what does what. I've successfully recorded DooM video footage that didn't look like garbage, at least!
edward850

Re: Open Broadcaster Software question

Post by edward850 »

It shouldn't actually matter. FLV is simply the container format, and the encoder/codec you're using is what ultimately makes the difference.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

With OBS, you can actually rename the .flv part in OBS to .mp4, and most programs today should be able to handle the mp4 format (it's so good, it's criminal)
Big C

Post by Big C »

edward850 wrote:It shouldn't actually matter. FLV is simply the container format, and the encoder/codec you're using is what ultimately makes the difference.
Hmmmmm, alright. For a reasonably-smart but technical-illiterate person such as myself, any codec you'd recommend or is it more a thing of them being sidegrades between each other?

As for formats, I was mainly asking because I figured it might make some difference on the basis of which program I use to do my post-production video editing.
Hellser wrote:With OBS, you can actually rename the .flv part in OBS to .mp4, and most programs today should be able to handle the mp4 format (it's so good, it's criminal)
That worked, thanks!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Big C wrote: That worked, thanks!
No problem. Hope you enjoy OBS as much as Ed and I do. (I'm pretty sure Ed uses it)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

For broadcasting, yes. Shadowplay for local recordings.
Big C wrote:For a reasonably-smart but technical-illiterate person such as myself, any codec you'd recommend or is it more a thing of them being sidegrades between each other?
I believe you can only record in an h.264 format, which is ultimately the most compatible and used codec there is. No sense going against the grain, either way. :P

Return to “Off-Topic”