June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SamVision

Re: June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

Post by SamVision »

MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

fukenciojones wrote:Did bethesda ever revealed how much you will be able to modify doom 4 ? will people be able to do full tc or will it be limit just for maps and custom guns or whatever ?
Well, if it's anything like the Garden of EDEN, it should provide a fair amount of customizing. Ease of use, might be questionable.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

doom_is_great wrote:It seems like everyone thinks that Classic Doom was nothing but massive hordes of monsters and heavy metal. It's like they forget that levels like Phobos Lab, Deimos Lab, or Halls of the Damned ever existed. In all honesty, Doom's more atmospheric, suspenseful, and moody levels were the most memorable for me.
That's correct! I fully agree, DooM is about exploring on an infested based by demons, alone, like E2M6 or full DooM 1 episode, but not just killing huge amounts of enemies with heavy metal shrill ruinning the atmosphere. That's Serious Sam.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I think there was only one level in Doom 1 that was a huge slaughter fest, otherwise most of the killing grounds were in Doom 2.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

As close as I can tell to a slaughter fest in Doom 1 was E2M9 and it's a lot easier to just provoke infighting.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

E3M6 is the one what was on my mind.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

If you want the new Doom to be a slaughterfest type game, why not use the level editor that comes with it to make it that way?
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

NiGHTMARE wrote:If you want the new Doom to be a slaughterfest type game, why not use the level editor that comes with it to make it that way?
It looked from the video that it reaches it's maximum amount of content in the editor very quickly, it has a little bar on the side that says how much you can add and it looked real constraining. That said, it's just e3 footage, so it could easily be a lot less restrictive on PC, or be tweaked. It's definitely a very real possibility that it'll be a big hindrance though.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Presumably you could use only basic architecture to get around that. Slaughtermaps for the original games do have a reputation for only having minimal detail, after all.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

The limiting factor is probably for the benefit of the console versions, right? Just let PC users go beyond that limit but then their creations, if uploaded, will only be viewable by other PC users. Problem solved, right?
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

MetroidJunkie wrote:The limiting factor is probably for the benefit of the console versions, right? Just let PC users go beyond that limit but then their creations, if uploaded, will only be viewable by other
PC users. Problem solved, right?
This sounds pretty accurate.

I personally am not too miffed about customization limitations for levels. If I wanna make a DOOM map, I'll make one for the classic DOOM games.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

MetroidJunkie wrote:The limiting factor is probably for the benefit of the console versions, right? Just let PC users go beyond that limit but then their creations, if uploaded, will only be viewable by other PC users. Problem solved, right?
Well no, because then you introduce user-base fragmentation again.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I remember they introduced mods for PS3 version of UT3 and things got a little weird then.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

edward850 wrote: Well no, because then you introduce user-base fragmentation again.
Then just prevent you from uploading it period? There'll probably be a mod to break the limit, anyway. Or maybe they'll let you but a warning will pop up or something.

Return to “Off-Topic”