June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
TheMightyHeracross

Re: June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

idGamer wrote: Is it just me, or does the music during the Doom 4 segments sound closer to the original Doom's music than the metal track? :P
Probably because it's a MIDI. I can tell. Obviously not any actual Doom song, though.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Doom II Doomguy = Devil May Cry Dante
Brutal Doom Doomguy = DmC Dante
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:
idGamer wrote: Is it just me, or does the music during the Doom 4 segments sound closer to the original Doom's music than the metal track? :P
Probably because it's a MIDI. I can tell. Obviously not any actual Doom song, though.
It's apparently Skrillex's Nice Sprites and Scary Monsters in MIDI version.
cambertian wrote:Doom II Doomguy = Devil May Cry Dante
Brutal Doom Doomguy = DmC Dante
Agreed.
The original Devil May Cry Dante and Doom II Doomguy are awesome. The DmC Dante and Brutal Doom Doomguy are pussies.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Doom Guy in Brutal Doom kind of comes off like Duke Nukem in Duke Nukem Forever. He tries to be all edgy and cool by just being as obscene as he can but it comes off as desperate and gets old pretty fast.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

cambertian wrote:DmC Dante
More like "Donte"?

Also Thi4f Garrett is "Garrote".
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Big C wrote:Is anyone else getting Painkiller vibes from the enemy placement and the tighter, more arena-like gameplay thus far? (Though Painkiller had a big emphasis on bunnyhopping whereas DooM 4 is apparently going to be bigger on light parkour, so it's not a TOTAL fit.)
I got that vibe too but it's definitely looking like a significant improvement from the string-together-some-arena-fights of PK.

I don't like the D64 redesigns at all, but I'm quite liking the bigger monster redesigns in D4 (though the early zombies and imps seem a bit too generically greebly and indistinguishable).

That said, they (especially the cyberdemon and mancubus) look a lot more like aliens than demons - sorta goes well with the hellscape looking more like an alien planet!

Re: War of the Garbles: The hand thing in the first preview was definitely unnecessary and puerile. That said,*SamVision's point stands (even the hand thing has been done, I think) and the only reason to draw a line at the new Doom is for MSM trolling.
*Typing that I suddenly remembered where I'd seen that concept before and why it seemed so old and done... shit, no wonder the audience was cheering so ridiculously loudly when it appeared... :oops:
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

If the monsters weren't all the same colour I think the lowly enemies would be more easily distinguishable from each other.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

the new doom is obviously inspired by Hdoom, the glow system that indicates when you can do fatalities to the monsters is an obvious reference to the hearts that indicate when you can do fuckalities to the monster girls
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I may be repeating myself here, but there are two things I cannot stand in Doom 4 from what they have showed: One is the ridiculously low ammo cap, and the other is the enemies dropping health and ammo. Enemies dropping health when you kill them is in all honesty not all that different from regenerating health.
agaures

Post by agaures »

The only thing that bugs me about doom 4 so far is the movement. The guy kept saying you move "really, really fast!" but it looked slow as shit. The multiplayer looked slow as well which is concerning as I'm in the beta group.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

The movement looked fast enough to be, but I suppose he could have not exaggerated it when speaking. I agree completely with SamVision about health and ammo drops. Ammo drops are OK from enemies that use that ammo, but they should drop it regardless. I think it becomes too arcade-y otherwise.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

New single player pics from QuakeCon:

http://imgur.com/a/lmeeR

Dunno about you guys, but I'm thrilled.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looks good, looks a lot more Doom-like than Doom3.

The more I see of it though, the more it just underlines to me that I'm not that bothered about it. This is not really a fault of the game and more simply a case of the game I really, really like is the original Doom. No modern game will ever be (or should ever try to be) what Doom is. The simplicity, basic textures, spriteyness etc etc of the original game are what make it accessible to me. I look at those screenshots and think "yep, looks great, should be lots of fun, I may play it through a couple of times and then go back to editing and playing the original Doom games". I mean, what am I going to do with the game past those first couple of plays? Nothing except maybe rip a few resources and try out a few disappointing downloadable mods. So, my reaction to them is pretty much the same as it is for most modern games. Most of them are quite disposable to me and despite their multi-gigbyte size and all their graphical amazingness and so on, they leave me pretty cold.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Huh, those screens don't have the murkiness to them that the gameplay videos do! Did they tweak the filters some, or is it because they're higher res screenshots?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Snarboo wrote:Huh, those screens don't have the murkiness to them that the gameplay videos do! Did they tweak the filters some, or is it because they're higher res screenshots?
I'd blame video compression for the murkier look. Compressors, and especially live streaming, tend to blur things out.

Return to “Off-Topic”