We gotta figure out what the hell these Russians are doing.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Re: We gotta figure out what the hell these Russians are doi

Post by Nash »

Yeah scripted shooters are the only sellable kinds of shooters, I really don't expect to see devs and publishers putting out slaughter map-style triple-A games... the console kiddies will only whine at such difficulty.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Rage is the nail of the id Software's coffin, it was "partially" a nice game.

But if you stop to analyze it well, it is just a Borderlands with a little touch of the old-style FPS games.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Nash wrote:Yeah scripted shooters are the only sellable kinds of shooters
Really? So what about Borderlands, Destiny, Far Cry, Dead Island, Dying Light, etc?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Nash wrote:slaughter map-style triple-A games
So Serious Sam and Painkiller, basically? :p It always surprises me when people associate slaughter maps or either of those two games with "classic Doom." Doom had a lot of moments where you solved light puzzles, explored the environment, or weren't directly fighting things, so slaughter maps aren't a good fit either.

Let's face it: we're never going to get anything approaching classic Doom, nor are we going to get anything like "neo-classic" Doom (ie slaughter maps, ZDoom mods etc), so I'm not not sure how this Doom 4 is any better or worse than the Doom 4 we're likely to receive. I'll be shocked if we see anything at all approaching early-to-mid 90s style FPS gameplay, which is what most people pine for in these threads without truly understanding what those games were. We're likely to get something like Brutal Doom if we get anything at all, which most of us would agree isn't classic Doom either.

If that turns out to be the case, we can at least blame Brutal Doom for completely erasing the original Doom narrative and supplanting it with a hollow facsimile if Doom 4 sucks. :V
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Are we all forgetting about reports from the closed-door reveal? Seems like most of the people who actually saw it were pretty excited that it was going back to classic Doom roots. Maybe slightly modernized? Maybe a little influenced by Brutal Doom? Perhaps, but everything evolves. Quit shitting all over it before we even see any gameplay, jeez.

8-)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

They should keep it to the ol' key-hunting and switch-flicking quest instead of relying heavily on cinematic linear scripted sequences.
Big C

Post by Big C »

...Okay, seriously, I can understand everyone's feelings but holy crap, does everyone here repeat the same sentiment over and over and over because they're worried they'll forget what they were angry about or something? Is sounding like a broken record supposed to accomplish something? Especially when, faulty as they may be, recent CoDs are actually taking after vertical-oriented arena shooters like Unreal? And ESPECIALLY when some not-terrible mods in the Projects subforum actually borrow some useful elements from Call of Duty (and I'm not just talking Brutal DooM)?

I hate to play Devil's advocate here but sweet Jiminy Christmas, I am so bloody tired of hearing the DooM community repeat itself like a roomful of parrots.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:According to that video, I also managed to find a supposed cinematic for the canned Doom 4 (or at least a snippet):

https://vimeo.com/117437076

Yeow. And to think that this was going to be the Doom 4 we were going to get. I get that Hell on Earth can be painted in a darker light, but as some sort of war drama? Just no.

Like, holy shit. I am so glad that even Bethesda of all people knew this was a bad idea (Imagine that!).

From what I hear of the redo, It's more faithful as it should have been from day one. This isn't a movie adaptation after all :p. Still, I'm sure Bethesda is breathing down their necks whispering "Release it quick without QA!" Because you know, that's how they roll.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

We gotta figure out what the hell these Russians are doing.
Did anyone else read that and wonder if Call of Dooty IV will ever get done?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Personally, i think they will follow the same formula used in Wolfenstein: The New Order (that some people says that is the fusion of the old and new school of FPS).
merlin86
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

IMHO the Earth could be a very good location for a Doom game, but since Doom 4 it's not out yet, we'll see... :-)

I wish to see some levels on Mars, then on Earth and finally in hell...
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

Yo Marnetmar, where did ya get these? Need source for the leaks.
Hellstorm Archon wrote:https://vimeo.com/117437076
Video is private now, can't watch. Any alternatives?

As for those pics, haven't we seen it in another form? Like Metro 2033, or Killzone?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

jdredalert wrote:Personally, i think they will follow the same formula used in Wolfenstein: The New Order (that some people says that is the fusion of the old and new school of FPS).
Frankly, if Doom 4 is to Doom as TNO is to Wolf, I think we're gonna be A-OK. TNO was great.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I dunno, inserting a bunch of plot into doom is kinda the opposite of what I want. The other aspects of TNO would be good however.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

xenoxols wrote:I dunno, inserting a bunch of plot into doom is kinda the opposite of what I want. The other aspects of TNO would be good however.
An awful lot of people were complaining at first about the direction TNO took when it got revealed. I was optimistic. TNO wound up being my favorite game of last year, bar none. I'm withholding reservations about Doom 4, considering I've seen all of two seconds of it, but I'm still at least somewhat optimistic. Maybe a (mostly) new team is what it needs, as long as they understand what makes a good game, not just what makes a good Doom.

Return to “Off-Topic”