Building a new rig

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Building a new rig

Postby edward850 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:54 am

Not exactly. Windows Defender got phased out (or rather was booted into the sun, but whatever :V), and Security Essentials was renamed to/took the place of Defender.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby scalliano » Sat May 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Well, it's up and running in 8.1. New architechture is taking a while to get used to, but so far I'm liking it. The fact that the transition bewteen desktop and tablet mode is so quick means that it'smuch less annoying than I expected. That said, still early days and I'm still in the process of bulding all of my software onto it, but so far, so good.
scalliano
Resident ZDoom Waifu

Postby Undead » Sun May 24, 2015 1:40 am

I found another disadvantage to Windows 8.1 that has a somewhat huge effect on me - Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) has its own vsync if you're not gaming in fullscreen which causes that tiny bit of input lag. Goddamn.
- Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) cannot be turned off like it could be in Windows 7 by switching to a non-Aero theme. It has its own vertical sync, which causes that tiny bit of input lag in some games (only tested in PlanetSide 2 though, which unfortunately doesn't respond to f.lux when in fullscreen). It can be forced to shut down using Process Explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 96653.aspx) though. Kill explorer.exe, suspend winlogon.exe, kill dwm.exe, then start explorer.exe. When you want DWM back (you will want it back) unsuspend winlogon.exe.
Undead

Postby DoomRater » Sun May 24, 2015 9:52 am

I searched for input lag on windows 8 but couldn't find anyone talking about that. Instead people mentioned how there's a new handling of mouse input in 8.1 that Microsoft offered a fix for in games where that stuttering was confirmed. Mind if I get a source for that?
DoomRater
Hi, I'm bob.

Discord: DoomRater#6308

Postby Undead » Sun May 24, 2015 10:57 am

I think I ran into that, but I never used it. Below, though, is how I found out I could kill DWM.

http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php ... _8_and_8.1

I can actually tell the difference between fullscreen input lag and borderless fullscreen input lag in PlanetSide 2 very clearly, and I can verify that killing DWM does remove the extra input lag.
Undead

Postby DoomRater » Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Will xee if that improved my minecraft experience...

Edit: turning off Rainmeter definitely results in a performance boost. Whatever it was that I had running on it was using more resources, such a shame it was pretty too.
DoomRater
Hi, I'm bob.

Discord: DoomRater#6308

Previous

Return to Off-Topic