Quake 1 and 2 mods.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
insightguy

Quake 1 and 2 mods.

Post by insightguy »

Anyone got any suggestions for good quake 1 and 2 mods? (weapons, re-texturing, maps and etc.) and where I can find them?
Kind of hard to find a modding community for quake today.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Quake 1 and 2 mods.

Post by Zanieon »

you start from their respective Source Ports at first (yes they have), but i'm not the best person to suggest such stuff

leileilol, i summon u here
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

You should go grab Quake Injector, really great mod downloader. I'd suggest Nyarlathotep if you want to play a great quake level!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

REGARDING QUAKE:

Keep in mind of the divide between QW and NQ mods. QW are usually clan pandering multiplayer-only stuff, NQ is the common kind that a normal player would play. Some engines handle both (DP, FTEQW)

Zerstorer and Beyond Belief are mandatory playing.

Prodigy Special Edition is nice too (Dario Casali)

If you love Hideo Kojima you might like Nehahra ;)

YPOD is your obligatory Doom-In-Quake!!!!! conversion. The only one that made it to reasonable maturity

A nice multiplayer mod Zdoom modders could learn/get inspired from is the original Pain Keep (not no silly crufty repacks). It has some nice levels, decent atmosphere, and some good weapons and tools.

Killer Quake Pack (KQP220Z.zip) was also another defacto multiplayer mod for trying to have a stable and huge variance in weapons.

The "AEoD" is Super Duper Quake and it's actually still being updated after existing for 17 years.

Ultimate Quake is worth a look at if you wanted to see how much feature creep stock quake can handle ina progs.dat. it's nuts and it got Mike Gummelt a job at Raven...which he still has

And because someone will ask, there is no "brutal quake". there's however navy seals and usmc (which rips off navy seals) that try to bring militaristic firearm realism to quake back in 1997 before it was cool. and the gore stuff are done time and time again then, so many mods with buggy 'solid corpses' and additional gib spewing that chokes the engine carelessly.

there are no essel equivalents :(

Avoid "HD" packs like the plague.

The mapping community is still very alive and is somewhat purist (limit removing maps designed for id1 mostly)

Modding scene is DEAD and/or pretentious, all you'll get are kids that want to recreate commercial games for some PSP port. The golden days has been the 1997 idgames2/ age (ended when Valve picked the best staples out and hired them to work on Half-Life).

The laundry list of source ports and their roles:
Darkplaces for modern general usage, new mods are mostly developed for this with its csqc/menuqc features in mind
Ditto for FTEQW.

DirectQ is the only port that faithfully recreates the software renderer's effects in pixel shader form. It's a very decent port to use on Intel HD at high framerates as well and is similar to quakespasm in map compatibility.

Mappers nowadays swear by Quakespasm because of its similar fixings to the renderer (up to software quake levels) and can nicely represent quake enough to satisfy the purist community. similar to glprboom

Engoo gets a mention for trying to be Zdoom. It is software rendered and tries to bash in very truecolory things into a 8bit buffer.

Other source ports are either Quakeworld (with physics you don't want in a sp/coop game) and or early doomsday-tier "programmer's fun with effects" stuff that aren't cut for general use.

and fortunately none of these require OpenGL 4 or a recent Nvidia card to run or even hit triple/quadruple digit framerates ;)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I use Epsilon Ultra (Darkplaces) for Quake 1 and Berserker for Quake 2. Love 'em both. Both are really beautiful also.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Interested in single maps? At one point I was poking through the Undergate collection. One very standout map was Reichert's "Dark Forest". It's a gothic map with a lot of variety in environments and challenges. At one point I reached a message that says "To be continued..." and realized it was over. Ever been sad a map was over?

I think Undergate itself uses a few DPExtensions, but should run fine on most up-to-date ports.
leileilol wrote:YPOD is your obligatory Doom-In-Quake!!!!! conversion. The only one that made it to reasonable maturity
They decided to embrace the inherent cheesiness rather than try to hide it. It manages to work.
leileilol wrote:Avoid "HD" packs like the plague.
Especially since they fall apart the moment you load a map with new textures.
leileilol wrote:Darkplaces for modern general usage, new mods are mostly developed for this with its csqc/menuqc features in mind
Where do you even find CSQC/MenuC documentation any more? I was never successful when I looked. (Yeah, I can take this to PM if it'd sidetrack the thread too much.)
leileilol wrote:Engoo gets a mention for trying to be Zdoom. It is software rendered and tries to bash in very truecolory things into a 8bit buffer.
I was initially going to call this an unfair oversimplification, until I rechecked who wrote it. :lol:
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Holy crap, thanks leileilol!

By the way, any "HD" packs that actually worth it or are all of them worthless? (Holy shit, the load times)

EDIT: What happened to the quake modding community anyway?
Last edited by insightguy on Sun May 10, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

valve bought the first generation and many of them moved onto the newer quakes or moved on with life. and with the multiplayer playerbase turning into competitive play-to-win snobs there's little appeal in mods for them, leaving just the single player mapping community left. Those who have seriously modded moved on to the prospects of making standalone games knowing all well how dead the game is

Return to “Off-Topic”