Requesting recommend. of PC FPS that req. <2G RAM & <2.4 GHz

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Requesting recommend. of PC FPS that req. <2G RAM & <2.4 GHz

Post by phantombeta »

Can someone recommend me a good FPS game?
One that should run on 1.9 GB RAM and on a 2.40 GHz Celeron processor with only the integrated HD Graphics GPU. (Has OpenGL 3.1 or something)
I'd prefer if it were from < 2005 and with graphics that do still look good today.
Oh, and it has to run on Windows 8.1.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Requesting recommend. of PC FPS that req. <2G RAM & <2.4

Post by wildweasel »

Doom. =P

But really, there's a pretty massive catalog of FPS games of about five to six years age or older that are still very much worth playing. Unreal Tournament 2004 is one that I can personally vouch for; Killing Floor on Steam might run well too.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Most Source engine games like Half-Life and Portal will probably run decent for you and are pretty damn cheap lately.

8-)
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Oh, also has to be < 1.3 GB (Preferably smaller than a normal CD (700<something> MB), because I'm running low on free space and my internet is slow as fuck.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

...Uh... Doom?

At that point you're probably looking at late 90's shooters at best. Just about anything around the HL2 era (2004?) started to ship on DVDs instead of CDs, if I recall.

8-)
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Well, as I said, preferably...
If it's something that's gonna be worth the wait, sure, it can be 1.4~1.5 GB. (For example, Doom 3)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

HL1 would probably be a good starting point, although I have not played it. HL2 and Portal are definitely worth it in my opinion, and I believe you can easily get demos for them to try out beforehand. Valve also has a ton of multiplayer shooters in the HL1 era, like Day of Defeat and Counterstrike. Doom3 obviously, as well. The Medal of Honor and Call of Duty series also had some good PC titles in the early 2000s and late 90s, I believe.

8-)
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

BLOOD II
UNREAL, UNREAL II
RED FACTION 1,2
ALIENS VS PREDATOR 1,2
No one lives forever 1,2
Deus Ex 1
Thief 1,2,3
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Mav3rick wrote:BLOOD II
Mav3rick wrote:UNREAL II
Mav3rick wrote:RED FACTION ... 2
I think he wants good games.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Here I come again to suggest "UT99" to someone. It's not the game I love the most for no reason. :wink:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

if you haven't played Quake yet you should give it a try. it's actually pretty fun and very fast-paced, perhaps even moreso than Doom due to all the acrobatics you can do there. Quake 2 is pretty boring though, aside from the music and aesthetic.
Dark Forces 1 and 2 are also good, the second one especially. you can get both of these from GOG now so you have no excuse not to give these games a whirl. Jedi Outcast too, but that's probably over 1.3 gigabytes. (i think Dark Forces 2 might exceed that limit too actually, since it comes on 2 CDs, but i'm not sure)
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Caligari_87 wrote:HL1 would probably be a good starting point, although I have not played it.
You've never played Half-Life?! SACRILEGE! It was my favorite game at the time. After I beat it, I played it again right away like three more times.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Postal 2
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

randi wrote:You've never played Half-Life?! SACRILEGE! It was my favorite game at the time. After I beat it, I played it again right away like three more times.
:cry: I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!!

I promise I'll get around to it someday. It's just that HL2 was the first shooter game outside Doom I ever played in 2004-ish (just a demo at a LAN cafe), and it was amazing. When I finally got around to buying and playing it for reals in 2014 (ten years later!), I completely disregarded the first one since the graphics were old and dated, and on a personal/nostalgia level it never really meant anything to me.

My early teen years (1997-2006) were weird for gaming. I had some really old frankenstein PCs at home (like 486's and a PII), and my parents never had enough money to keep us up-to-date on consoles. We never had money for games either, so I mostly played a demos from those "500 shareware games!" CDs from the mid-90s, and ancient hand-me-down DOS games on 5.25 floppies. This continued until I was an independent adult in about 2009, and by then games had progressed so far, i pretty much forsook everything from the late 90s to the early 00s, and I've still missed a ton because I really can't afford games anyway. For a self-described "gamer", my practical experience is actually pretty shallow. :(

Anyway... tangent...

8-)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

When I was in this situation on my old PC, I'd constantly replay the few games I knew I could run on my system, such as classic FPS games from the mid 90s to early 2000s. I also looked for Russian FPS games, since those tended to have lower system requirements. Not sure what to recommend on that front since most of them weren't very good. :p

Have you looked into DOSBox? Lots of decent FPS games from that era that should run beautifully now!

Return to “Off-Topic”