Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Xtyfe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Just finished watching that and it's an awesome video on the whole thing.
User avatar
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby amv2k9 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Xtyfe wrote:Just finished watching that and it's an awesome video on the whole thing.
It's a nice change from the first video he did on the issue, which harped way too damn much on the "oh, it's just freeloaders bitching" element of this debate, and frankly jumped the gun on an issue before doing enough research.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
amv2k9
That Strife Guy
 
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Location: Southern California

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Xtyfe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Ya it's been said that people complaining have been called "entitled" and I think it's just wrong to say that because the very same thing could be said to modders asking for money too. Someone like Dark0ne as he said in the video has to be totally unbaised on it and I believe that those types are the best to comment on the whole issue because they look at the bigger picture.
User avatar
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Reactor » Sat May 02, 2015 6:16 am

Well guys I'm glad the dust settled, and selling mods for cash was only almost a thing. Sadly, it would do more bad than good. Sure quite a few skilled modders could show the light of the day to their projects, but skilled modders also did this for years without grabbing monies for it, and will do without perfectly. As Nash skillfully pointed out, someone whose creativity is inspired by getting paid for it has...questionable value...

Besides, if a modder really needs help or funds to fnish his project, there is the Kickstarter. If the project itself is good, I see no reason why wouldn't it be supported.
User avatar
Reactor
The militarist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Big C » Sat May 02, 2015 6:26 am

Reactor wrote:Besides, if a modder really needs help or funds to fnish his project, there is the Kickstarter. If the project itself is good, I see no reason why wouldn't it be supported.


Yeah, except that's basically what Greenlight is, and THAT has its own share of problems.

Concerning to me: The Space Engineers and Garry's Mod developers were considering getting in on paid mods during the brief time they were active. I have...Doubts...About a hobby this easily unsettled.
User avatar
Big C
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2010

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Reactor » Sat May 02, 2015 9:58 am

Hm. You think there'll be more such attempts of charging money for mods/TCs? Looks to me as if this was the first big brouhaha about such thing, however, this does not automatically mean this is the last one...
User avatar
Reactor
The militarist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Ghastly » Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 pm

amv2k9 wrote:and frankly jumped the gun on an issue before doing enough research.
Surprise, surprise from Mr. "[Brutal Doom] was made by one guy!" :P
User avatar
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Big C » Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
amv2k9 wrote:and frankly jumped the gun on an issue before doing enough research.
Surprise, surprise from Mr. "[Brutal Doom] was made by one guy!" :P


Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
User avatar
Big C
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2010

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Trance » Sun May 03, 2015 7:51 pm

TB is a self-proclaimed pundit. He usually brings this up in response to people who call him out on examples of poor research on his part, by pointing out that as a pundit, he has no obligation to adhere to any journalistic standard of rigor in his fact-finding.

IMO it's an apt descriptor, since the term "pundit" has acquired so much baggage due to all the pundits on every major cable news network opining without bothering to get all the facts. Every time I listen to one of his topical opinion pieces, only half the time do I agree with his stance on an issue, and even then it's almost never for the reasons he provides. He's awful at actually constructing an effective argument in favor of his position.

He's never struck me as someone who gathers info first and forms an opinion afterward.
User avatar
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Location: 1, Rotation: 0

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Ghastly » Sun May 03, 2015 8:00 pm

Big C wrote:Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
I think that's a bit to extreme a reaction; he's pretty solid, but sometimes he doesn't do enough research.

With regards to his status as a pundit, I have to wonder what qualifies him as such. He hasn't worked in the industry, and his rise to fame was streaming WoW and commentating for Starcraft 2 (a game he says he's bad at). That said, I tend to agree with his opinion in a lot of cases on several issues.
User avatar
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Big C » Sun May 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Big C wrote:Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
I think that's a bit to extreme a reaction; he's pretty solid, but sometimes he doesn't do enough research.


I was kinda already on the fence towards him given that he's been picking Twitter fights frequently since Gamergate (and even when I DID agree with him in that regard I was getting tired of his attitude). Knowing he didn't doublecheck all the facts about Brutal DooM just slaps me as a disservice to a game and community I like.
User avatar
Big C
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2010

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Xtyfe » Sun May 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Just lump him together with the rest of the gaming journalist fucktards.
User avatar
Xtyfe
Neque Deos, Neque Dominos
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Big C » Sun May 03, 2015 8:36 pm

Xtyfe wrote:Just lump him together with the rest of the gaming journalist fucktards.


Sounds like a plan. Given that some of my favorite games were ones I bought on a whim (Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Insurgency, DooM) I think trusting my own judgment is the safest bet.
User avatar
Big C
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2010

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby insightguy » Mon May 04, 2015 1:19 am

Big C wrote:
Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Big C wrote:Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
I think that's a bit to extreme a reaction; he's pretty solid, but sometimes he doesn't do enough research.


I was kinda already on the fence towards him given that he's been picking Twitter fights frequently since Gamergate (and even when I DID agree with him in that regard I was getting tired of his attitude). Knowing he didn't doublecheck all the facts about Brutal DooM just slaps me as a disservice to a game and community I like.

Let's be honest here, the doom community is not THAT well known compared to some others (otherwise a ton of actually good mods would get the attention they deserve) and brutal doom just got lucky. And besides, why are we mad at TB when the maker of the actual mod was the one who actually left everyone else out?
(Not saying he's completely right though)

Xtyfe wrote:Just lump him together with the rest of the gaming journalist fucktards.

Would be kind of unfair considering the generally pro-consumer stance he takes. Even though I don't agree with him half the time, at least he tries to be open and honest about things.
User avatar
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User
 
Joined: 23 Mar 2011

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Postby Dark-Assassin » Mon May 04, 2015 7:35 am

http://i.imgur.com/SWOUiXa.png
After ranting about paid mods, I think this will happen to Rockstar.
User avatar
Dark-Assassin
 
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Location: South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests