Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Post by Xtyfe »

Just finished watching that and it's an awesome video on the whole thing.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Xtyfe wrote:Just finished watching that and it's an awesome video on the whole thing.
It's a nice change from the first video he did on the issue, which harped way too damn much on the "oh, it's just freeloaders bitching" element of this debate, and frankly jumped the gun on an issue before doing enough research.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Ya it's been said that people complaining have been called "entitled" and I think it's just wrong to say that because the very same thing could be said to modders asking for money too. Someone like Dark0ne as he said in the video has to be totally unbaised on it and I believe that those types are the best to comment on the whole issue because they look at the bigger picture.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well guys I'm glad the dust settled, and selling mods for cash was only almost a thing. Sadly, it would do more bad than good. Sure quite a few skilled modders could show the light of the day to their projects, but skilled modders also did this for years without grabbing monies for it, and will do without perfectly. As Nash skillfully pointed out, someone whose creativity is inspired by getting paid for it has...questionable value...

Besides, if a modder really needs help or funds to fnish his project, there is the Kickstarter. If the project itself is good, I see no reason why wouldn't it be supported.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Reactor wrote:Besides, if a modder really needs help or funds to fnish his project, there is the Kickstarter. If the project itself is good, I see no reason why wouldn't it be supported.
Yeah, except that's basically what Greenlight is, and THAT has its own share of problems.

Concerning to me: The Space Engineers and Garry's Mod developers were considering getting in on paid mods during the brief time they were active. I have...Doubts...About a hobby this easily unsettled.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hm. You think there'll be more such attempts of charging money for mods/TCs? Looks to me as if this was the first big brouhaha about such thing, however, this does not automatically mean this is the last one...
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

amv2k9 wrote:and frankly jumped the gun on an issue before doing enough research.
Surprise, surprise from Mr. "[Brutal Doom] was made by one guy!" :P
Big C

Post by Big C »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
amv2k9 wrote:and frankly jumped the gun on an issue before doing enough research.
Surprise, surprise from Mr. "[Brutal Doom] was made by one guy!" :P
Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
Trance

Post by Trance »

TB is a self-proclaimed pundit. He usually brings this up in response to people who call him out on examples of poor research on his part, by pointing out that as a pundit, he has no obligation to adhere to any journalistic standard of rigor in his fact-finding.

IMO it's an apt descriptor, since the term "pundit" has acquired so much baggage due to all the pundits on every major cable news network opining without bothering to get all the facts. Every time I listen to one of his topical opinion pieces, only half the time do I agree with his stance on an issue, and even then it's almost never for the reasons he provides. He's awful at actually constructing an effective argument in favor of his position.

He's never struck me as someone who gathers info first and forms an opinion afterward.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Big C wrote:Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
I think that's a bit to extreme a reaction; he's pretty solid, but sometimes he doesn't do enough research.

With regards to his status as a pundit, I have to wonder what qualifies him as such. He hasn't worked in the industry, and his rise to fame was streaming WoW and commentating for Starcraft 2 (a game he says he's bad at). That said, I tend to agree with his opinion in a lot of cases on several issues.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Big C wrote:Really? Ugh, didn't know THAT. Definitely not going to be watching TB anymore, then.
I think that's a bit to extreme a reaction; he's pretty solid, but sometimes he doesn't do enough research.
I was kinda already on the fence towards him given that he's been picking Twitter fights frequently since Gamergate (and even when I DID agree with him in that regard I was getting tired of his attitude). Knowing he didn't doublecheck all the facts about Brutal DooM just slaps me as a disservice to a game and community I like.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Just lump him together with the rest of the gaming journalist fucktards.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Xtyfe wrote:Just lump him together with the rest of the gaming journalist fucktards.
Sounds like a plan. Given that some of my favorite games were ones I bought on a whim (Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Insurgency, DooM) I think trusting my own judgment is the safest bet.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Big C wrote:
Ghastly_dragon wrote:
I was kinda already on the fence towards him given that he's been picking Twitter fights frequently since Gamergate (and even when I DID agree with him in that regard I was getting tired of his attitude). Knowing he didn't doublecheck all the facts about Brutal DooM just slaps me as a disservice to a game and community I like.
Let's be honest here, the doom community is not THAT well known compared to some others (otherwise a ton of actually good mods would get the attention they deserve) and brutal doom just got lucky. And besides, why are we mad at TB when the maker of the actual mod was the one who actually left everyone else out?
(Not saying he's completely right though)
Xtyfe wrote:Just lump him together with the rest of the gaming journalist fucktards.
Would be kind of unfair considering the generally pro-consumer stance he takes. Even though I don't agree with him half the time, at least he tries to be open and honest about things.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

http://i.imgur.com/SWOUiXa.png
After ranting about paid mods, I think this will happen to Rockstar.

Return to “Off-Topic”