Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

Post by Caligari87 »

Pretty much how Action Doom did it, if I recall? Charged for physical packaging and extras like manuals if people wanted, but kept the actual data free? I like that and respect it a lot. I see some amateur filmmakers doing the same and it usually seems to work out well. Sorta like donation-perks. I actually bought a book of (damn good) fanfiction via that model fairly recently.

8-)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

You got a point there, yeah :) By charging only the must-have minimal for a game, this can pretty much prove that the author is not a money-hungry jerk, but he really wants to give the maximum attention for his game, and thus, more people shall know about it. People like cheap things, especially if the cheap game is actually good, not like Shitty interactive ones. While the Internet is quite mainstream now, we should not forget about that there are many people outside who doesn't know what to look for, but are still interested in playing good games. By making the same game a freebie on the Internet & selling it for a very small fee, it's a fair-and-square deal.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Caligari_87 wrote:Pretty much how Action Doom did it, if I recall? Charged for physical packaging and extras like manuals if people wanted, but kept the actual data free? I like that and respect it a lot. I see some amateur filmmakers doing the same and it usually seems to work out well. Sorta like donation-perks. I actually bought a book of (damn good) fanfiction via that model fairly recently.

8-)
I'm still pretty happy with my DVD-case copy of Urban Brawl, even if most of the extras were declared free some time ago.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Apart from the retail Marvel and Quantum Access deals, Quake had this happen.

Future vs Fantasy in particular was selling a map pack, though their free mod version would pop up PLEASE REGISTER!!! for each load and scream unregistered. This was 1997. One caveat about it is that they couldn't use and derive from id materials to do this, resulting in original textures. Mostly. Unlike doom though, the BSP29 map format has mandatory inclusion of used textures, so replacing them is required.

Aftershock for example is a map shovelware pack with its own three episodes and a bunch of DM maps with weird cute ideas....and an interestingly garish and purple texture set that has a unique look...and this was also applied to all the rippedofftheinternet levels part of the disc

Also in early 1995 quake hype, Romero did have a wild claim that Quake "would be an industry".
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

leileilol wrote:Also in early 1995 quake hype, Romero did have a wild claim that Quake "would be an industry".
Well, he wasn't entirely wrong, both given the huge explosion of FPS games around that time, and the number of licensees using idTech 2 or a derived engine, particularly Half-Life. :p
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Caligari_87 wrote:Pretty much how Action Doom did it, if I recall? Charged for physical packaging and extras like manuals if people wanted, but kept the actual data free? I like that and respect it a lot. I see some amateur filmmakers doing the same and it usually seems to work out well. Sorta like donation-perks. I actually bought a book of (damn good) fanfiction via that model fairly recently.

8-)
Sort of like it's merchandise for the free product. Like how Team Fourstar doesn't (and legally can't) charge for their episodes but they made things like shirts based on it that you can buy. That's a good way to sort of profit from a free product you're making that's popular enough, merchandising. Then what was free before is still free, this is just extra for those who want it.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Not that it's Doom related, but I found this WOW news on 3dRealms Forums... no April Fools.

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39114
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Nice find, Ozy! :) This is the first documented case in my whole life that a game developing company actually accepts the help of game-fans. Mostly, they don't even care about listening to their ideas (this is the reason for many shitty games). I am glad that at least one game developing company treats its fans like they exist, not just dump a shipload of steaming turd to the shelves of a game shop, saying "ZOMG who cares about what they think, they'll buy it because of the title anyways"...
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Reactor wrote:Nice find, Ozy! :) This is the first documented case in my whole life that a game developing company actually accepts the help of game-fans. Mostly, they don't even care about listening to their ideas (this is the reason for many shitty games). I am glad that at least one game developing company treats its fans like they exist, not just dump a shipload of steaming turd to the shelves of a game shop, saying "ZOMG who cares about what they think, they'll buy it because of the title anyways"...
Hi Reactor, unfortunately I also noticed that thread is closed... :roll:

Sorry also for that plot stuff for Tristania, real life, Boa, Gore and Reborn are quite pissing my mind off, so just hang for a week and I'll give to you some suggestions (if my english will not fall incredibly).
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

No probs, Ozy :) It's Spring after all, spending your time in the room whilst the birds are singing, the sun is shining and the sky is azure blue is a crime :)
The thread is closed alright, which is of course, a pity, but the very existence of that thread finally proves what gaming should be about. Taking the gamers' opinion, and accepting their help is something you won't see overly too frequently. Hmmmm, maybe there is hope for new-generation games after all...who knows.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Reactor wrote:No probs, Ozy :) It's Spring after all, spending your time in the room whilst the birds are singing, the sun is shining and the sky is azure blue is a crime :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know that a member called Davox is a friend of a friend of mine (WTF), and it seems that project is going further. Don't know what sort of game will be and didn't read well the link too, but I really love Duke3d stuff (not Forever unfortunately...).
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Good to hear that! So those damn aliens will still be attacking Earth, then Duke can finally kick some asses & chew bubble-gum (and he is all outta gum). Someone just complained a few weeks ago that no Duke mods see the light of the day. Maybe the situation will slowly advance...?

Return to “Off-Topic”