Ideal Port for Deathmatch

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
RUNSABER

Ideal Port for Deathmatch

Post by RUNSABER »

Good evening, ZDoom. I'm not sure if I should have created this in the Networking forum, but considering it isn't Zdoom-related due to me wanting to use a specific port for Deathmatch; it may be appropriate. If not, do your magic weasel.

I enjoy Deathmatch. I'm not a pro player, but the competitive nature of Doom's simplistic netplay keeps me coming back for more. What port do you think is best for direct netplay?

I have Zandronum, but I do not favor Zdoom's method of deathmatch. I know that each port is different (Zdaemon, Odamex, etc.) though I'm looking for something close to a vanilla experience with active players.

Can I play deathmatch using prBoom or chocolate Doom? Even Eternity? Thank you!
Arctangent

Re: Ideal Port for Deathmatch

Post by Arctangent »

RUNSABER wrote:something close to a vanilla experience with active players.
I think you're going to have to pick one and leave the other. Zandronum and ZDaemon ( though I do not recommend that one, from what I've heard about the community ) do have people who play pure OS-style DM, and there's Odamex which attempts to be as vanilla as possible using an old version of ZDoom's codebase but it's pretty dead it seems. Chocolate Doom also has netplay, I've heard, but in those same breaths I've heard it's really cruddy and isn't used.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

So far Zandronum seems to be a viable choice. I actually just finished up an hour-long dueling sessions with a player on Doom Explorer. It was really fun! I've played zDaemon for a wee bit to see what it's like. Although the handling is a bit better, the community/players are not my crowd. Playing bots online doesn't do much for me. I'll work with Zandro for my multiplayer fix, and use Chocolate Doom for vanilla-map testing and to try it's netplay out. Thanks, Arc - I really appreciate it! :D
Big C

Post by Big C »

IIRC Skulltag/Zandro has an 'oldschool' mode that attempts to replicate vanilla DM as closely as ZDooM can manage, including disabling mouse freelook.

Not perfect, but offers an oldschool-ish experience that is technologically accessible (as in: proper servers and browsers as opposed to oldschool IP hookups) without the questionable community elements and closed-source coding philosophy that unfortunately is a problem with ZDaemon.

Return to “Off-Topic”