wtf is with the acronyms in the doom movie?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
osjclatchford

wtf is with the acronyms in the doom movie?

Post by osjclatchford »

ok so I get that bfg now means bio force gun... :roll: yeah ok, we believe you...
uac is union aerospace company as we all know...
and rrts is clearly rapid response tactical squad, fine...

but WTF does st stand for in 'st grenade'?
I cant find a single external or internal reference aside from the old nades we brits used in the war (commonly known as 'sticky bombs') ... I don't think that's what they mean as the two are visually and functionally quite different to each other.
its only ever referred to as an 'st' or 'st grenade' in the movie so what say you? shock tactics? super turbo? sexy turnips? what?

any help to rest my crazy noggin on this one would be most welcome...

thanks
latchford
SamVision

Re: wtf is with the acronyms in the doom movie?

Post by SamVision »

doom movie
Trance

Post by Trance »

Secret Terminology
Big C

Post by Big C »

I'm making Sexy Turnips my headcanon for that abbreviation as nothing else could be remotely as amusing.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

SamVision wrote:
doom movie
C'mon now, the Doom movie wasn't that bad. Sure, it isn't the same as any of the games but it doesn't have to be. It took a different route and basically eliminated the whole Hell/Demon thing and went a biological route, but that isn't such a bad thing. They could always make another, but I doubt they will unfortunately. I'd always hoped there would be a Doom 2 movie where Reaper and Sam emerge on the surface and find the "things" everywhere destroying Earth. The movie just kind of "simplified" Doom into a movie-friendly style. I don't have any major gripes with the movie, except for some scenes being completely unnecessary. Just my opinion. Could it have been done better? Of course. It is actually that bad? Not to me, no. Still one of my top movies.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

The only time I've seen the Doom movie was the Possessed Recut by CBB (itself a reworking of Scaperat's Possessed Cut). Trims nine minutes from the original and adds two from a couple other sources. Having not seen the original, I can't comment on the comparison, but it definitely felt "lean and mean", very dark. Definitely recommended if you're a fan, or if you didn't like the original and want to see a different take.

My only gripe is that it removes the FPS scene and the transition is a little rough, but that's forgivable. Everything else was transparent, and I couldn't notice anything I felt was missing or out of place.

8-)
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I actually didn't mind the Doom Movie. I occasionally pop it up once in a while to watch it. I can agree right now that it doesn't follow the Doom that we know closely. But it's a good (not great) action flick.

As for ST Grenade, Subspace Tear Grenade? The explosion isn't exactly a traditional one. So most likely something science-fictiony.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Doom Movie is just nice by the part of Clint Mansell's job on the Soundtrack and for their nice try on the Doom 3 enviroment, however the storyline is weird.
Athel

Post by Athel »

osjclatchford wrote: but WTF does st stand for in 'st grenade'?
That's easy. It means SkullTag

:lol:
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

If only the doom movie followed the books then we could of had something truly epic.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

In my opinion the doom novels were almost as bad as the movie, taking out the demons makes DOOM a lot less interesting.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

Well they could have made it some huge demon invasion and have the human race struggle against them, would be cool if they added dialog from some of the demons too. They could of made it a series of movies too, like Doom, The Invasion begins then the second movie would be Doom, hell on earth(ikr?) then the final movie could be like Doom, Revenge of humanity or something like that idk just my 2 cents.
BFG

Post by BFG »

they gotta remake that movie based on the original game 8-)

Return to “Off-Topic”