45%
Unreal Engine
55%

Total votes: 11

Nash

Unity or Unreal Engine?

Post by Nash »

(No "why not both" memes please)

I have both currently and already went through the newbie tutorials for both packages and already have a basic feel of navigating their UIs a little, but I want to go beyond just knowing how to just dragging and dropping meshes. :) I have been modding ZDoom for 14 years and I've learned a lot over the years and I want to pick just one engine and stick through it and hopefully acquire the same level of proficiency as I have with ZDoom. Which engine would you pick? I'm so confused right now.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Unity or Unreal Engine?

Post by Zanieon »

Well, my second workload after Doom is Unreal, i never touched in Unity so i can't say much, but you can go fine on Unreal Engine, especially now on the 4th.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Unreal's renderer definitely looks more professional and polished... however apparently UE4's ability for user modding for your games seems stunted... I wonder how ROTT2013 accomplished user modding in UE3? On the other end though, all I've ever seen from Unity games are toy'ish mid-2000-era graphics with shaders tacked on... if anyone knows of a high quality AAA game with true current/nextgen graphics made in Unity, feel free to prove me wrong...
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Nash wrote:Unreal's renderer definitely looks more professional and polished... however apparently UE4's ability for user modding for your games seems stunted... I wonder how ROTT2013 accomplished user modding in UE3? On the other end though, all I've ever seen from Unity games are toy'ish mid-2000-era graphics with shaders tacked on... if anyone knows of a high quality AAA game with true current/nextgen graphics made in Unity, feel free to prove me wrong...
This was made in Unity. It's really about the assets you have more than the engine you use. Obviously, if you're going to use next-gen tech that only one engine has, then aim for that one, but most any modern engine can make a professional-looking game.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nash wrote:Unreal's renderer definitely looks more professional and polished... however apparently UE4's ability for user modding for your games seems stunted... I wonder how ROTT2013 accomplished user modding in UE3? On the other end though, all I've ever seen from Unity games are toy'ish mid-2000-era graphics with shaders tacked on... if anyone knows of a high quality AAA game with true current/nextgen graphics made in Unity, feel free to prove me wrong...
The current darlings of Unity are SUPERHOT and Interstellar Marines. Sadly, the latter of the two isn't an especially great example of a good game, since it's been marooned in Early Access for ages and - last I saw - still only supports Team Deathmatch.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Well, even id Tech 4 itself can provide usefull stuff actually, and it's a 12 years old engine, the main question is what is the best engine to setup materials and shaders with ease and provide easy programming, and Nash, Unreal Engine 4 doesn't have it's modding abilities scrapped as Unreal Engine 3 doesn't too, just see Unreal Tournament 3 and the upcoming 4, Epic Games provides the method of how you do a easy user-friendly editor to be used as a modding tool (they always provide anything necessary to go on deep with what you want)
Last edited by Zanieon on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

I even know about a indy brazilian game that is good on shaders too
Spoiler:
However you can see that anything that Unity is actually, doesn't reach the full capacity of Unreal Engine 4.

Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

There is no "right" answer. Which one you should use depends on the project, it's scope, the targeted platforms, and your comfort with C# versus C++.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Kinsie wrote:There is no "right" answer. Which one you should use depends on the project, it's scope, the targeted platforms, and your comfort with C# versus C++.
QFT.

But if you're only going to pick one... What kind of games do you plan on making?
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Nash wrote:If anyone knows of a high quality AAA game with true current/nextgen graphics made in Unity, feel free to prove me wrong...
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey.
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:
The current darlings of Unity are SUPERHOT and Interstellar Marines. Sadly, the latter of the two isn't an especially great example of a good game, since it's been marooned in Early Access for ages and - last I saw - still only supports Team Deathmatch.
It's gotten SOMEWHAT better---for starters there's an early 1P campaign now.

I think they got someone a bit more experienced to helm the wheel.
Nash

Post by Nash »

GooberMan wrote:
Kinsie wrote:There is no "right" answer. Which one you should use depends on the project, it's scope, the targeted platforms, and your comfort with C# versus C++.
QFT.

But if you're only going to pick one... What kind of games do you plan on making?
Basically Doom-style (external file system, scripted actors, user mods etc etc) shooters... so basically ZDoom but with a much fancier renderer. :mrgreen:
Blox

Post by Blox »

Judging from what I've heard then UE4 (which is quite different from UE3 in this regard) would be much more suited for that than Unity.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

UE4 Blueprint system is very easy to handle, and if you also worked with material system from UE3 then you're fine since on this part Epic didn't changed how the engine handle it, everything now works under Node connections system.

Return to “Off-Topic”