Classic DOS Platformer games reviews/opinions

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hisymak

Classic DOS Platformer games reviews/opinions

Post by Hisymak »

Hello ZDoomers! As many of you here grew up with Doom in 90's, you most probably also played classic and well-known platformer games for DOS. I'm occasionally getting nostalgia'd and still play these amazing pieces of my childhood. I realize that they still are funny and enjoyable, have awesome graphics&music and have the good feeling that modern games are rather lacking.
I decided to make very short reviews about games I played the most, so you can also add your comments and opinions and remember the good old times of early and mid 90's.

Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus was my very first platformer game which I played on our first computer in 1993/1994. I really liked this game and played through it many times. It has nice and colourful graphics and very well-sounding Adlib/SoundBlaster music. The goal of this game is to collect all magical crystals, which are hidden within a level. You need to kill monsters which spawn in your way or ambush you by shooting magical bolts on them. Of course you collect a lot of treasure around levels. And I always liked destructible walls on this game.
In my early years the game was quite challenging to me, but as I grew up, I realized that the game was not really challenging at all and that the gameplay was geting quite repetitive. In fact, the levels are quite similar to each other, just the tilesets and enemies look differently. The annoying thing is that you must press fire-key (which is Alt) for every single shot, so your fingers get quite tired. At least you can often find powerful powerups, like rapid fire. There are often switch-puzzles, but they are very simple and repetitive, so I lack there more sophisticated puzzles and gameplay features (and better secrets). So finally, this is rather a relax game where you don't need to think about anything, just traverse through levels, shoot monsters and collect the stuff.

+ Very nice graphics and awesome music
+ Easy and simple game for relaxation
+ Ideal as a first game for small kids

- Gameplay and levels get very repetitive
- Game is really not challenging, just walking, shooting and collecting stuff
- Alt button rape

Vinyl Goddess from Mars

This was also fine and very colourful one. The game features multiple weapons and interesting monsters and very catchy music which I always liked listening to. In this game you play as a sexy heroine (in my child age I did not realize it at all and it was just a normal game for me), who throws swords/knives at monsters, climbs up vines and jumps on spring pads. The gameplay is extremely dynamic and flows well, but on the other hand, is not much challenging, as you practically cannot die, just are transferred back to start. Also the gameplay and level design is a bit limited and can get stereotypical, but not as much as Hocus Pocus.

+ Very nice graphics and catchy music
+ Dynamic and lively gameplay, high FPS
+ Heroine

- Not very challenging, you cannot die
- Gameplay and levels can get stereotypical

Commander Keen 4

I got this game also very early and I found it being a masterpiece, for its gameplay and possibilities. The most notable is jumping with a Pogo stick, as well as the great variety of monsters (each one is specific in some way) and hazards like spikes, fire and some unknown black liquid. I also very liked (toggleable) moving platforms and variety of secrets. This game can be fairly challenging even with easy difficulty, but hard is really hard. So this is a good piece for skilled players and also speedrunners. I always disliked the underwater level, because of Dopehish - I never knew how to avoid them, so the level was always the hardest one.
This game also features one phenomenon - a secret level (Hand Pyramid). I believe that the way how to get there was a big mystery for every player back then. I remember I once found it by a very random chance and was very frightened when I was transfered to it so I immediately exited the game and had to find it again year or two later :D

+ Good graphics
+ Interesting gameplay and features
+ Variety of monsters and level themes
+ Secret level

- Dopefish
- Lives have no purpose because you can always save&load
- Could have been made in 256 colors VGA

Jill of the Jungle

This was rather a minor piece, the game is really short and can be finished in 20 mins, but it is still pretty memorable for me. I remember I liked some puzzles and features like pressing buttons, using elevators, destroying walls, but most importantly, transforming into a bird, frog and fish. I also liked the variety of monsters and levels. The design sometimes seemed a bit obscure to me. The music is really interesting and makes some interesting and memorable OPL-synthesizer effects.

+ Interesting gameplay and puzzles
+ Transforming into creatures
+ Fun elements

- A bit obscure level design, graphics and sounds
- Very short levels and game at all
Last edited by Hisymak on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SyntherAugustus

Re: Classic DOS Platformer games reviews/opinions

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Should post a bit about Xargon. It was pretty much Jill 2.0.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Hisymak wrote:Commanger Keen 4
Commander :)
Hisymak

Post by Hisymak »

Fixed.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Rayman!
Don't play it unless you want to punch your monitor.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If these strike your fancy, you ought to also check out the SoftDisk Dangerous Dave games (Haunted Mansion and its sequels), Alien Rampage (was supposedly going to be a new Duke Nukem sidescroller at first), Dig It!, and perhaps for a change of pace, Flashback.
ShadowTiger

Post by ShadowTiger »

Played and thoroughly loved all of those games. Those were the days. Oh yes.

Y'know what was actually really fun? Framed. It was definitely one of those unknown gems, but it was really interesting. A little bit of a puzzle platforming game. You'd walk around avoiding guards and guard dogs, finding things that could be used on other things elsewhere. I played the shareware version (Remember that word? :P ) which didn't have a save feature, so it was thrilling to go a little bit farther and farther each time I played, knowing what I had to do from that point.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Bio Menace is the only platform game I remember playing then that I ever got into. I also had Tidus the Fox, but I don't recall how far I got into it.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

So far, I've complited only the Commander Keen-series and the Jill of the Jungle-series.

It's no doubt that the Commander Keen-saga is one of my all-time favourites, maybe because Keen 1 was one of da first platformer games I had, and even though the first 3 episodes were quite...um...inferior, especially the third, I still enjoyed'em. I know, compared to today's standards (like uh, Call of Vérpistike), Commander Keen 4-6 looks like a joke, but in reality, it's just as great as it was in the good ol' days. Compared to the first 3 episodes, the other 3 are like earth surface and sky.

What I liked:
- The much, much, MUCH better graphics, and the actual animated background, it really filled the scenery with life. Even that pseudo 3D-look was very convincing. Same goes for the world-map, I really had the feeling that I'm exploring an unknown world in another dimension, 2000 lightyears from home.
- The great variety of enemies, and friendly characters. Bounder proved to be very useful several times, just like the Giks. The funny characteristics were also excellent, for instance, the Nospike's suicide-run, the unpredictable Skypests, the Flects' ability to return fire (yea, literally).
- The ability to cling on edges and pull y'self up, a la Prince of Persia.
- The ability to shoot upwards and downwards, even while climbing a pole.
- The funny death animation. It was funny in the first 3 as well, when Keen shrinks into his shoes and flies away (why is he flying away?), but the newer ones are even funnier! Keen looks like someone stucked up a piece of hot metal in his butt :D And every time you hit an enemy or hazard, he bounces further. If you're really skillful, y'can make him bounce six times!
- The extra programming for underwater environment.
- Secret levels, which are tricky to find.
- The SGA was a great idea to hide stuff, but still make it obvious for the player.
- Not ALL levels are necessary to finish the game.
- You could save yer game any time, as opposed to Cosmo.

What I didn't like:
- Hit detection is very unpredictable, sometimes enemies or hazards kill you even if there'z an obvious gap between Keen and the enemy/hazard.
- No godmode item, like the Ankh in Episode 3.
- (fixed in later versions) Keygems disappear in Keen 4 if you save yer game while having one.
- The game cheats wit' Dopefish big time - it can swim into the walls. Nasty. Yeah, the same thing happens in Keen 7 "The Keys of Krodacia", when you need to swim thru the Shoal and the Reef, and Ogobogos chase you.
- Scoring has no real purpose whatsoever. Since every item respawns if you die, and you won't lose score at all, it is possible to grab unlimited score.
- Some areas has no exit, you have to kill y'self (Keen 4: Cave of Descendents)
- Poles, poles, poles everywhere. At least they could try to manage climbable chains or perhaps ladders here and there instead...
- Uncollectable items (the infamous Lifewater Oasis level and numerous Keen Dreams levels)
- Some of the songs are terrible, like the "You've got to eat your weggies".
- Slicestars are ridiculously hard to destroy in Episode 5.
- Keen 6 seems to be rushed. It has numerous bugs, no help file, and could certainly use a patch.

As for the Jill of the Jungle series, it wasn't that successful as the Keen-saga, but it was certainly entertaining and many times easier than, for instance, Keen 5 or Keen 9. What it lacked is a good story, which Commander Keen had. This time, we hardly get any story, and the episodes doesn't seem to revolve around anything either, except the "Jill saves the Prince". So I never could really decide what were these Jill-games are about, but all in all, they were good games.

What I liked:
- Unlimited lives
- Levels could be easily completed
- Transforming into enemies and getting their charasteristics (e.g. moving thru water or lava without dying)
- Switches and puzzles
- World map (Jill 3 only)
- Pac-man ghost easter egg
- Destructible blocks
- VGA graphics

What I didn't like:
- The overly too simplistic layout of the levels. Regardless of their name, usually they were using forest, stone and marble graphics, just in different forms. Funny thing is, one of the "forest" levels doesn't even have any trees in it.
- At least 40% of the levels are dumb, tutorial-ish "puzzles" with no real challenge whatsoever.
- Level design flaws, most notably in Jill 2 and 3, it could actually crash the game. In Jill 3, y'can actually beat the entire last level once y'transformed into a firebird and just flyin' out...
- No bossfights
- Jill 2 cheats with levels BIG time. Seriously, one of the levels consists only 1 jump,and there! You completed the WHOLE level! Same thing happens in Jill 1, where level 3 is actually level 4 and 5 as well. Not in the mood of level designing, huh?
- Some levels lack weapons (Jill 3 level 7 for instance), and of course, they have tons of enemies
- Many enemies are immune to all weapons, or won't give you any points (Pacman ghosts, Devils, Jellyfish)
- Jill 3 used to crash at level 12 if you die by spikes
- Unobtainable items, inaccessible areas
- Ridiculous hazards (you drown in a pool smaller than you, your firebird form can be killed by fire)

Jill's reboot,the Xargon series were much better, and it was actually a challenge to beat, so I enjoyed those much more.
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

Reactor wrote:Scoring has no real purpose whatsoever. Since every item respawns if you die, and you won't lose score at all, it is possible to grab unlimited score.
It's still an alternative way to get lives. Not as effective as grabbing other life items (lifewater drops in Keen 4), but collecting candy is always nice. :3:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

It's true :) technically, it was impossible to die in Keen 4-9, as you could grab unlimited score + unlimited lives. Not to mention the 100-collectibles.

I had to exploit this feature in Keen 5, Keen 7 and Keen 9, as there are tons of enemies, and you got very little ammo. So if you don't collect countless Neural Stunner charges to mince all the enemies, it's next to impossible to beat certain levels. An average Slicestar needs 20 shoots to kill.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nash

Post by Nash »

The Keen games and Bio Menace make up a HUGE portion of my PC gaming childhood. And fuck I hated Dark Ages so much. Keep the reviews coming; I feel like as a kid, I didn't really get exposed to many interesting DOS platformers.

BTW do a review on Abuse too!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

it doesn't get any better than this...
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

commander keen series good, everything else bad (just kidding, its the only dos platformer i played a lot of)

Return to “Off-Topic”