DOOM/Quake-style third-person shooter (What if?)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
StrangeEnigma

DOOM/Quake-style third-person shooter (What if?)

Post by StrangeEnigma »

I've been pondering this for a bit, and I still can't see how it would go wrong.

What if there were a third-person shooter with gameplay similar to older FPS titles like DOOM, Quake or Unreal? Game mechanics would be identical to an arena shooter (with all of the good quirks like fast running speed, rocket-jumping, bunny-hopping, wall-hopping, etc), but viewed through a Gears-style over-the-shoulder perspective. Would you play it?

(Inb4 Unreal Championship 2. It's close, but it's not really what I'm talking about.)
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: DOOM/Quake-style third-person shooter (What if?)

Post by Zanieon »

Just go play Unreal Tournament 3 with the Action Cam/Gears of Unreal mutators, it does exactly what you imagine
StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

Revilution wrote:Just go play Unreal Tournament 3 with the Action Cam/Gears of Unreal mutators, it does exactly what you imagine
Are those mods? Reason I ask is because I've never even heard of those mutators before. (I stopped playing UT3 after a while, so naturally I didn't keep up with the different mods that were coming out.)

Also, I wasn't just talking about multiplayer. I was talking about single-player too.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

No, they are just mutators exactly to change the POV of the player to the shoulder, also the Titan Mutator from the Titan Pack does that too, the only problem with it is that the player grows in size, that camera activates and the player go OP killing everyone in his path.

and well, you mentioned Arena Shooters, they are meant to be multiplayer heh
StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

Revilution wrote:No, they are just mutators exactly to change the POV of the player to the shoulder, also the Titan Mutator from the Titan Pack does that too, the only problem with it is that the player grows in size, that camera activates and the player go OP killing everyone in his path.

and well, you mentioned Arena Shooters, they are meant to be multiplayer heh
Ah. Well, I don't remember seeing "Gears of Unreal" or "Action Cam" in the list of mutators back when I was still playing. Might've just overlooked them. I can't remember.

But yeah, when I mentioned arena shooters, I was just talking about the gameplay. lol
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Dude, those aren't internal mutators from the game, they was made from the community as you can see here and here

If you go check a bit the community-made mutators for UT3, it seems that this game is not even far to be a complete fail for the franchise, in fact it was just carelessness from Epic Games with the game that made it be the black sheep of the family.

and well, taking the gameplay then i just have to implement this camera in Hunter's Moon and GG
StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

Revilution wrote:Dude, those aren't internal mutators from the game, they was made from the community as you can see here and here
If they're not internal mutators, then they're MODS. :lol:
If you go check a bit the community-made mutators for UT3, it seems that this game is not even far to be a complete fail for the franchise, in fact it was just carelessness from Epic Games with the game that made it be the black sheep of the family.
Eh, it had a lot of problems tbh. Lackluster presentation (it looked like Gears in first-person), weak deathmatch maps, unbalanced vehicles, lack of game modes, lack of customization options, lackluster campaign, TERRIBLE graphics scaling on PC, and a whole lot of other problems I won't get into.
Though, I guess most of those problems DID come from carelessness and laziness, so your point still stands.
and well, taking the gameplay then i just have to implement this camera in Hunter's Moon and GG
That might actually work. Although the model animations might be a bit strange to get used to. :P
Last edited by StrangeEnigma on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big C

Post by Big C »

There's Unreal Championship 1 and 2. Also, the Jedi Knight series.
StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

Big C wrote:There's Unreal Championship 1 and 2. Also, the Jedi Knight series.
UC1 was a standard FPS like UT2003/2004 was. UC2 was the only one with any third-person elements.
And I mentioned UC2 already. It's close, but it plays much slower than most arena-style FPS games. (this was done to help tailor it to the console, since it was an Xbox exclusive.)

And Jedi Knight...actually, Jedi Knight is a fine example. Thanks for reminding me.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Serious Sam series allow you to play in 3rd person mode.

Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

StrangeEnigma wrote:If they're not internal mutators, then they're MODS. :lol:
I don't call them mods unless it really changes lots of things in the game, like Hedsteem does.
StrangeEnigma wrote:Eh, it had a lot of problems tbh. Lackluster presentation (it looked like Gears in first-person), weak deathmatch maps, unbalanced vehicles, lack of game modes, lack of customization options, lackluster campaign, TERRIBLE graphics scaling on PC, and a whole lot of other problems I won't get into.
Though, I guess most of those problems DID come from carelessness and laziness, so your point still stands.
It was carelessness from Epic, exactly because they was blind by their awesome success with Unreal Engine 3 when it released with Gears of War, so they tried make Unreal Tournament 3 in the same way, which was the fail.

The only thing i think UT3 sucks alot is on the Vehicle system (Cicada is useless, Goliath have low health for a Tank and Nightshade is ubertroll) and the fucking bots with their 360QUICKSCOPE ON TURRET, GODLY PERFECT SKYMINE COMBOS IN HELLBENDER and ROFL AIRKILL WITH GOLIATH FROM 1 MILE AWAY, also the retard netcode, this thing is even buggier than Bugfield Battlefield 3
StrangeEnigma wrote:That might actually work. Although the model animations might be a bit strange to get used to. :P
Well, models is better suitable for such camera, sprites is meant to be viewed from a single POV which is the First Person for Doom.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Maybe, but if there was a similar game which was first person, probably not.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Third person = good for jumping puzzles and swords, not so much aiming at anything.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

If I remember correctly, the way the Ratchet and Clank series deals with the whole aiming thing is by giving the weapons enough spread, area of effect damage, and / or fire rate to make aiming merely a suggestion.

Probably would be an appropriate answer in a game that takes a lot of cues from Painkiller or Serious Sam. Not so sure about one that's more Doom or Quake-like.
StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

Vaecrius wrote:Third person = good for jumping puzzles and swords, not so much aiming at anything.
Maybe it's just me, but when I play third-person shooters like Gears and Mass Effect, the aiming feels nearly the same as it does when I'm playing an FPS.

Return to “Off-Topic”