DOOM/Quake-style third-person shooter (What if?)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SamVision

Re: DOOM/Quake-style third-person shooter (What if?)

Post by SamVision »

I remember that the reason for justifying Metroid Prime being in first person was to make it smoother and easier to shoot enemies and explore environments.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

Jaxxoon R wrote:
When did this get released? I've never seen it before.
Either way, it looks legit.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

StrangeEnigma wrote:
Vaecrius wrote:Third person = good for jumping puzzles and swords, not so much aiming at anything.
Maybe it's just me, but when I play third-person shooters like Gears and Mass Effect, the aiming feels nearly the same as it does when I'm playing an FPS.
Can you really circlestrafe (or other maneuver-strafe) in those quite the same as in Q/D/UT? I recall Mass Effect having a lot of stopping to aim, though I've never played the third one.

EDIT: Also, here's the thread for Doom: the Mercenaries.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Vaecrius wrote:I recall Mass Effect having a lot of stopping to aim, though I've never played the third one.
Shepard just can roll from one cover to another, nothing with high impact on the gameplay from ME2, circlestrafe isn't possible in any of 3 games.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

From a personal project/experiment, over the shoulder chase cam (uses Gooberman's moving camera idea) with third person crosshair (earlier version was used in Cammy):
ImageImageImageImageImage
Camera position is dependent on space, but it always faces the crosshair specifically, which is dependent on the player's LOS. So when you fire, you hit what's under the crosshair (weapon inaccuracy aside).
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I've been trying to hack in a 'modern' third person camera in OA3 for awhile, didn't do the 3d crosshair part yet. but when I do i'll have to make hte view turn towards it so it stays center on the screen. Which could get awkward when you run up to a wall and the crosshair is constricted

I do raise the FOV depending on the player's horizontal speed. It gives the sense of speed a bit better
Attachments
ijgse.gif
ijgse.gif (86.78 KiB) Viewed 773 times

Return to “Off-Topic”