Opinions on Quake

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Average

Re: Opinions on Quake

Post by Average »

I've always really liked the original. The 2 official missions packs are pretty fun too. There are tons of old commercial 3rd party expansions and TC's too. Also plenty of user-made mods and maps.

A decent and fairly active (if small) community exists over at Quakeone among other places. It runs on a toaster these days and has the best soundtrack out of the series (if you like ambient, spooky stuff).

I had fun with Q2 upon release and I've gone back to it a few times but it just feels like there's something missing from it though I couldn't tell you what... The other games, I can take or leave, to be honest.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Q1: Too much brown. Although the gameplay is ok, the dull visuals bring it down for me.
Q2: Should have been named Doom - The Next Generation. IMO the only game ever made that successfully managed to replicate Doom's gameplay with improved visuals. But it's not without its share of problems that today bring its enjoyment level down to a level far below the best of Doom mods out there.
Q3: Great tech demo for its engine but a pitiful excuse for a full price game
Q4: A typical modern game with an excess of scripted plot, hyper-linear gameplay and all the other things that made me stop buying new games 10-12 years ago. Its only saving grace was the 'Stroggification' cutscene, that one was just hilarious.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Too much brown.
I disagree. Good contrast of bright and dark colors means the game looks fantastic even today.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yaaaawwwwnnnn!

I've yet to see interesting visuals in a Q1 screenshot. Even Q2 is mediocre at best but at least it got some style.

My favorites are the Build engine games, for best level design I'd still vote Redneck Rampage to this day.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

SamVision wrote:I disagree. Good contrast of bright and dark colors means the game looks fantastic even today.
The game is brown. Your screenshot doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming impression of the game, an almost universal impression, is of brownness. Of course it has other colours, it's not a "brownscale" game, but it's brown and, IMO, visually dull as a result.

The palette has lots of brown and brownish ranges or colours that tend towards brown at the darker end of their ranges.
Spoiler:
and the brown ranges dominate in the textures and general appearance of the game.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

never actually played them, but would watch my friends play them. I always thought (even back then) that the models looked a bit ugly and blocky, I use to always say that Doom was better. I didn't feel the excitement I did for Quake as I did for the late 90s build games.
Infirnex

Post by Infirnex »

SamVision wrote:
Too much brown.
I disagree. Good contrast of bright and dark colors means the game looks fantastic even today.
Gotta go with the others. Quake 1 is still my favorite, mainly due to the atmosphere and darkness, but that does come with a lot of brown. Azure Agony is an exception that doesn't really change anything. :P
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

And now that i have some time, i can actually explain my previous post:
Q1: It's ok for me, the gameplay feels ok, i'm not a person that digs too deep into stuff unless i really, really love something, never finished any of the mission packs put they start ok and one friend tells me the battle with Armagon is cool, one thing i don't like it's the brown, too much brown, 50 shades of brown.

Q2: This is what i usually play if it's not Q3/QL, it has good maps and the enemies were scary the first time i fought the damn stroggs (at around 8 years old), if there's one thing i don't like, it's getting rekt by a grenade mofo from behind.

Q3/QL: It's pretty good, solid arena shooter, most of the time i'm playing Q3Revolution on my ps2, i consider it the best port, one thing i don't like, none really, i played some UT games and they were pretty damn boring to me.

Q4: IMO the best, even if i don't play it as much, the only thing i don't like is the kinda cheesy soldiers sometimes.

ETQW: It's good, overlooked, and fun, could have done with some more polishing, i do play modern shooter games that usually get bashed here for no real reason.

So, as i already said, all of them have good and bad things and have things that may attract some people and put off others, or completely piss them off.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Q1: Great single player, but unbalanced multiplayer

Q2: Decent Single player, Best Multiplayer there is

Q3: Shit

Q4: Ok Single player. Multiplayer is copied from Q3 but worse. So Shit :p

QLIVE: Shit x2

I'd grab both Q1 and Q2, Avoid Q3 and QLIVE. Q4 is a toss up
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Xtyfe wrote:Q3: Shit
But... but... jump-pads!
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

A lot of mixed opinions about the entirety of Quake I see here. Though most of the posts are about the games themselves, with barely any mention of my other question;

What about Quake's community? Are there any forums similar to ZDoom or Doomworld that I could check out or anything like that?

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that a great community can make an experience with any game all the better. *stares disdainfully at certain other forums*
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

http://www.quakeone.com Plenty of mods and stuff on here.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Devianteist wrote:What about Quake's community? Are there any forums similar to ZDoom or Doomworld that I could check out or anything like that?
no

The closest it gets is func_messageboard, it's where all the skilled/veteran mappers hang out. probably one of the last bastions that recognize Quake for what it is.

Everywhere else that's active is essentially retrokidcloningcurrentgamesforthepspfest. or eurowinnerprofest
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Q1: Never touched the multiplayer so I have no opinions on it. Enjoyed the single player. Sure, it might have been rushed out the door and it's clear that there's a clashing of themes but I think that plays in its favor and certainly compliments the Lovecraftian vibe.

Q2: Again, never touched the multiplayer so I have no opinions on it. Didn't really care for the single player aspect of it. I dunno, I guess shooting organic Borg robot thingys doesn't appeal to me. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Q3/QL: My first exposure to Q3 was the PS2 version. I enjoyed it, so I thought "Oh hey must be fun on the PC right?" Nope. Like leilei pointed out, the ProMode, psudeo-MLG, "stophavingfunguys" crowd easily killed it for me. I switched over to Unreal Tournament and never looked back since then (UT3 was a disappointment but that's another rant/topic for another time).

Q4: Again, never touched multiplayer so I have no opinions on it. Single player was more of the same for me as it was for Q2: didn't care for it.

ETQW: Seemed like a great idea on paper. Execution left much to be desired, in my opinion. Didn't like it and this was just against bots. Never got a chance to play it online.
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

Q1: Probably the first videogame that looked "realistic" to me. It scared me for almost 10 years. Even rottweilers looked menacing for me, but Fiends were my worst nightmare. The weapons look kind of "medieval" to me so I think they fit in its castle-like maps, though base maps are cool as well. The Elder World is the scariest episode.
Multiplayer is funny BECAUSE of its unbalance and it's rocket jumps. Funny in a hilarious way, of course.
Sometimes fighting coop teamkillers was funny, too. =P

Q2: Not as memorable. I never tried its multiplayer. Nice map design, but somewhat confusing.

Q3A: Really nice botfights. I never was active in actual multiplayer.

Q4: Cool but it doesn't feel like a Quake game.

I haven't played other games. Quake Wars sounds like a funny concept. Quake live looks like a Q3A downgrade.

PS: I love brown.

Return to “Off-Topic”