Re: Opinions on Quake

Post by SamVision »

Quake I: Never played it,
You see, that there is your problem.
FireFish

Post by FireFish »

Quake 1 ;
Great game with a wet, dark, old wood, and ancient castles atmosphere which gets alternated with some rusty technlogy based worlds. You will be shooting brown mumy like zombies, knights with bloody swords, ogres with chainsaws and grenade launchers, converted soldiers, slime balls, wizards, dogs, and so on. But it all hangs together because everything just fits in place. The gameplay is fast but not to fast, the action is entertaining, and the levels are clear in their design. This game also made a standard out of the client / server multiplayer system in the old days.

Quake 2 ;
It leaves behind all which you encountered in quake 1 to send the player into this weird science fiction setting. The software renderer looks nice but the opengl renderer looks great for its time. You cant realy compare those two. It is a fun, clean, and brutal first person shooter with nice and detailed levels. The gameplay feels right, which is all it needs to do. Your enemies, cyborgs, weird dog like cyborgs, yet again more cyborgs, flying machines, and they all have this retro feeling to them by means of design.

Quake 3 ;
A multiplayer / bot match only game which once had revolutionairy graphics. It is just a fast multiplayer deathmatch game. The way you move, shoot, and control the action realy makes it feel like a quake game. The default levels have this atmospheric crossbreed between technological and dark, nearly demonic.

Quake 4 ;
While using the id-tech 4 engine it looks great, but its gameplay feels a bit off in my opinion. You fight the strog in a continuation of the quake 2 universe.
The weapons feel a lot heavier by sound and visuals, the enemies harder, and the gameplay more modern but straight to the point. I could not complain
for what i have played.

Enemy territory - Quake wars ;
A great multiplayer, team and objective based shooter. You chose a side, have vehicles, a base, engineers can place extra structures, its just fun. And
on top of that it used the id-tech 4 its mega texture technology, which was not used in doom 3. The enviroments actualy look great on high resolutions
and everything maxed out. In my opinion you need to be a fool to complain about the game its visuals even for its age. I had a blast playing this whenever
i could. This game has a lot of sounds, and funny or detailed / small extra's to it when playing.

The problem with the mention of graphics... many of ID software its old games from the 90's and early 2000 where pushing it in that area...
Well, at least i hope you enjoyed reading this because i wrote it while watching television and not paying attention.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I believe I've forgotten to mention: the N64 port of Quake 2 goes way above and beyond, since it possesses an entirely new set of levels (has anybody tried recreating them in the PC version?), AND another new Aubrey Hodges soundtrack that I think works better than the CD music from the PC version.

I also nabbed a copy of the Playstation port (and a mouse); this is a weirdly stand-out game in that it's the only FPS game on the console that supports mouse aiming (your other hand remains on the D-pad). Its level set is a bit weird; it starts on a cut-down version of the N64 port's first level, but then lapses into cut-down versions of the PC version levels instead, and also completely skips over the Train unit and goes straight into the Prison, I think.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Neither the N64 or the PS1 versions of Quake 2 can really be called "Quake 2 on console" due to the amount of content they are missing. Thought I like the N64 versions soundtrack and the fact tat the weapons have muzzle flash and the lighting on the PS1 version was neat.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

It should be noted that even Quake on N64 had some levels missing. The music though was the shit and should have been in the original
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Another thing that stand out on quake 2 was the fact that after drop the enemy health below 50% they skin change into another damage and that was very cool, giving a air of "they suffer"
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Mav3rick wrote:Another thing that stand out on quake 2 was the fact that after drop the enemy health below 50% they skin change into another damage and that was very cool, giving a air of "they suffer"
Some of them being able to still shoot after being fatally wounded, like the chaingun guy still firing after being beheaded, was also a nice touch.
Nash

Post by Nash »

While we're on the subject...

Can someone tell me what exactly is the "curved surfaces" feature that Quake 3 marketed back when it was released? It can even be toggled in the options menu and I don't remember seeing any difference with it off or on...
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Q3's map format has a new brush type called 'beziers', and adjusting 'model detail' in the options also adjusts their subdivision (r_subdivision). It's definitely not marketing bs, look how it affects the upper platforms in Q3DM17 :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I don't have Quake 3 so I can't really compare but I'm pretty sure I've seen curved geometry like tunnels and arches and stuff even in Quake 1? Also if you decreased the subdivision of the geometry, wouldn't that also affect collision?
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

The collision is based on the higest LOD of the curve, all others is just to do the same thing as any other game that works with LOD do.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Nash wrote:I don't have Quake 3 so I can't really compare but I'm pretty sure I've seen curved geometry like tunnels and arches and stuff even in Quake 1? Also if you decreased the subdivision of the geometry, wouldn't that also affect collision?
The difference here is there's no ugly lightmap edges for each segment of the curve, and it can get very round. Also there is a LOD system regarding its subdivision, it'll collapse dynamically as you move farther away.

IIRC the collision is based on subdivision 64 and cannot be changed by the player. q3map2 probably added an option to change this

and finally
Spoiler: shamelessplug

Return to “Off-Topic”