Page 3 of 3

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:14 pm
by edward850
Always research your chosen engines first. Research is basically step one of any development document.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:16 pm
by jazzmaster9
edward850 wrote:Always research your chosen engines first. Research is basically step one of any development document.


Well I had a lot of successes with GM 8 in the past, but I guess time has caught up to me.
"everything changed when the windows 8 attacked".

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm
by edward850
Uhm... Windows 8 is the natural progression of time. DirectX 8 is about 15 years old. The fact that people apparently use GameMaker without noticing this raises some interesting questions. Doesn't Spelunky use GM, or is that a different engine?

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 pm
by jazzmaster9
edward850 wrote:Uhm... Windows 8 is the natural progression of time. DirectX 8 is about 15 years old. The fact that people apparently use GameMaker without noticing this raises some interesting questions. Doesn't Spelunky use GM, or is that a different engine?


Spelunky, indeed uses Game Maker.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 pm
by edward850
Then how is that not using DX8? Specifically, it runs off 9.0c.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:33 pm
by wildweasel
edward850 wrote:Then how is that not using DX8? Specifically, it runs off 9.0c.

Except I seem to recall it does? The one time I tried running it on an underpowered laptop (600 MHz Pentium 3 running Windows XP on 256 MB RAM), it complained that it couldn't create a D3D 8 drawing surface.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:37 pm
by edward850
The store page says 9.0c, but from reading the community hub it looks like that was due to an update (DX8 certainly doesn't have Xinput support, after all). So I'm not actually even remotely sure what it's actually doing anymore.

One would hope it's not mixing APIs.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:05 am
by ibm5155
You could actually use Doom engine (ie gzdoom/zandronum) to make a game like that.
I already did an experimental 2D project, I first did the demo game using SDL, and it was a pain in the ass.
What I did on SDL for about 2 full days (48hours programming) I just too hmm 4 hours in Doom '-'...

Idk how about selling stuff using id tech 1 engine, but using some special version of gzdoom where you doesn't have the software render and fmod would be a good start....

Or go to unity, it's free, and there's a really good multiplatform support.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 pm
by jazzmaster9
ibm5155 wrote:Idk how about selling stuff using id tech 1 engine, but using some special version of gzdoom where you doesn't have the software render and fmod would be a good start....

Or go to unity, it's free, and there's a really good multiplatform support.


I might not really jumping into commercial games just yet. :) But I will take a look at using ZDoom.

As for unity, i need to get more experience with JavaScript. I only know basic C++ and now learning advanced stuff (and failing at it miserably) so it's gonna be a long while before I jump to other engines.