Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Kostov » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am

darkhaven3 wrote:True story. My Radeon 6670 consistently maintained at least 80FPS in dynalight heavy scenes, but my 980 barely ekes out 20FPS on a good day in doom2.wad.

My god, either your GZDoom needs patching up or your hardware needs patching up. Start fixing it.
User avatar
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Location: Sweden
Github ID: K0stov

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby darkhaven3 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

i5-3450 at 4 GHZ with 32 gigs of DDR3-1333, GTX 980 at 1450MHz core. Dunno what you're implying I need to fix hardware wise. I also always run the latest SVN builds of GZDoom.
User avatar
darkhaven3
"You scared? Yeah... Me too."
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Location: East Germany, 2023

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Kostov » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 am

Meh, talk to Graf about this. You can also try the console command vid_renderer 0 to see if it isn't your 980 having problems with GZDoom.
User avatar
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Location: Sweden
Github ID: K0stov

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby darkhaven3 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:29 am

I have. It doesn't appear to be something that will be fixed any time In the next decade. That said, my 980 blows away all other games without question. But this also isn't my personal tech support thread.
User avatar
darkhaven3
"You scared? Yeah... Me too."
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Location: East Germany, 2023

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Nash » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:37 am

I just ran GZDoom from my old data hard disk (had to change the user INI to match my new one since I recently installed Windows 8.1 on a new SSD drive) and I didn't experience any problems. My usual autoloads (dynamic lights, nashgore etc) were loaded, ran around in doom2.wad but didn't get any slowdowns. I don't know why GZDoom runs like dog poo for you, darkhaven. :(
User avatar
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Kostov » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 am

And Nash, I now think about when you say screws weren't in because you had moved around your PCI Express items. That must mean it has bent over the years even while being properly secured. Good luck with your 960, Maxwell should be a good architecture. I myself am rocking Kepler here, because I didn't know that the 960 was knocking on the door when I had my system built which contains a 760.
User avatar
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Location: Sweden
Github ID: K0stov

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Nash » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:30 am

The screw was only off yesterday, after five years. My old GTX 460 used to be at the bottom PCIe slot. I can't remember why I chose the bottom slot back then, and the first thing I did when I wanted to install the 960 was put it at the bottom slot too. Was about to screw the new card in place then I went... oh wait, why is this at the bottom again? Perhaps I should put it at the top. So I moved it to the top. Snapped the picture, posted in the forum.

I don't even know why this even needs an explanation or even warrants a discussion, it's a non issue.
User avatar
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby darkhaven3 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:40 am

Nash wrote:I just ran GZDoom from my old data hard disk (had to change the user INI to match my new one since I recently installed Windows 8.1 on a new SSD drive) and I didn't experience any problems. My usual autoloads (dynamic lights, nashgore etc) were loaded, ran around in doom2.wad but didn't get any slowdowns. I don't know why GZDoom runs like dog poo for you, darkhaven. :(
Ah well. I've heard it may have something to do with the excessive clock rate on my 980 or with my PCIE bus, but I'll probably never figure it out without writing my own port. It appears to be specific to me, and yet no other game exhibits the same behavior. Strange.
User avatar
darkhaven3
"You scared? Yeah... Me too."
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Location: East Germany, 2023

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:38 pm

darkhaven3 wrote:True story. My Radeon 6670 consistently maintained at least 80FPS in dynalight heavy scenes, but my 980 barely ekes out 20FPS on a good day in doom2.wad.



The first thing you should do is get some geometry heavy map (Frozen Time is great with its wide open areas) and run a benchmark with the 'bench' CCMD, to see what part of the code causes the delay. This is certainly not normal - or do you by any chance use some OEM driver that has OpenGL crippled?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Kappes Buur » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:07 pm

darkhaven3 wrote:.... Dunno what you're implying I need to fix hardware wise.....


Might be a driver issue.
You could run the tests in GPU Caps Viewer to see if there is an issue.

Image
User avatar
Kappes Buur
 
 
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Nash » Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Le bump. So I'm getting really shitty frame rates in GTA 5 and Dying Light (the reason I upgraded in the first place). In GTA 5's case, even the autodetected and recommended settings doesn't give me constant 60 FPS, and in DL's case, the autodetected settings actually give me unplayable 10 - 20 FPS. :O :O :O

Could my CPU be really that crappy that it's just hurting my graphics card's full potential? Stats below.

Spoiler:
User avatar
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby edward850 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Nothing wrong there. Check your operating temperatures, and make sure the system is cooling properly.
User avatar
edward850
[netcode intensifies]
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Nash » Sat May 02, 2015 3:55 am

I don't understand how temperature problems would lead to low video game frame rates... ? :S If the numbers look right in the picture, then that means there's no evidence of overheating and therefore underclocking... right? Which I find it hard to believe anyway (that my hardware is somehow being slowed down and not operating in full capacity).
User avatar
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby edward850 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:57 am

Thermal throttling does not change the physical properties of a CPU. ;)
User avatar
edward850
[netcode intensifies]
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand

Re: Computer upgrades - good deal or nah

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat May 02, 2015 4:26 am

Nash wrote:I don't understand how temperature problems would lead to low video game frame rates... ? :S If the numbers look right in the picture, then that means there's no evidence of overheating and therefore underclocking... right? Which I find it hard to believe anyway (that my hardware is somehow being slowed down and not operating in full capacity).



Better check once to make sure rather than chasing ghosts.
I once had a problem with the graphics card throttling down to piss-poor performance and it all was because some dust had been caught up in the fan preventing proper cooling.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests