If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: EA just killed Maxis!

Post by Hellser »

Xtyfe wrote:I had no idea EA was a thing anymore, I figured most gamers worth their salt wrote them off.
Those with brains did. There are still drooling idiots who swear Battlefield 3 and 4 being the best games EA has ever made. When it's obviously Battlefield: Bad Company 2 being the best. :lol:
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Hellser wrote:Those with brains did. There are still drooling idiots who swear Battlefield 3 and 4 being the best games EA has ever made. When it's obviously Battlefield: Bad Company 2 being the best. :lol:
Mass Effect, Crysis.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Xtyfe wrote:I had no idea EA was a thing anymore, I figured most gamers worth their salt wrote them off.
EA accounted for 14% of all videogames sold worldwide in 2013, and reported a net revenue of $4.337 billion across 2014. They've taken a couple of blows, but they're definitely not something that "most gamers" have written off.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Am I the only one here who doesn't understand what the big deal over EA is? Reading through this thread has shown a couple things to me, but seriously. What makes EA so "evil?" I hear it everywhere on the Internet.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Hellser wrote:
Those with brains did. There are still drooling idiots who swear Battlefield 3 and 4 being the best games EA has ever made. When it's obviously Battlefield: Bad Company 2 being the best. :lol:
Actually, that would be Road Rash
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Kinsie wrote:
EA accounted for 14% of all videogames sold worldwide in 2013, and reported a net revenue of $4.337 billion across 2014. They've taken a couple of blows, but they're definitely not something that "most gamers" have written off.
I wouldn't call 12 year old console kiddies who use mommy and daddy's credit cards to buy games "gamers"
Last edited by Xtyfe on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Devianteist wrote:What makes EA so "evil?" I hear it everywhere on the Internet.
Dungeon Keeper, a classic DOS game was released on the mobile platform with Pay-To-Win features (along with roadblocks that you have to pay for or wait so and so hours or days). Every game that EA has released lately has On-Disc DLC that other companies are starting to follow. They buy out companies such as Westwood Studios - who made Command and Conquer.. and pretty much disband the company so and so years later because they aren't getting their multi-billion dollar profit.

They FUBAR SimCity (I don't think this was Maxis' fault. More along the lines of EA telling Maxis to rush their unfinished product out), everything they touch turns to shit in due time.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Mass Effect, Crysis.
Only Mass Effect from BioWare then, Crysis is distributed by EA, but don't forget that Crytek is private (and has own subsidiareis) and not a subsidiary of EA as everyone thinks, so the game didn't had any influence of being shit from EA, if the game had mistakes, then Crytek did by themselves.
Devianteist wrote:Am I the only one here who doesn't understand what the big deal over EA is? Reading through this thread has shown a couple things to me, but seriously. What makes EA so "evil?" I hear it everywhere on the Internet.
Just watch this

For me, the nice EA died when they removed the slogan "Challenge Everything" from their intro in the games.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:It's pretty much the same as when Activision gutted Raven. Though a good developer (heard nothing but good things about X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Quake 4, Singularity and Wolf '09 were legitimately good games), it wasn't the same people who made Heretic.
Actually, four of the eleven Heretic employees who worked on Heretic were still at the company during the development of the games you mentioned: the Raffel brothers, Eric C. Biessman, and Kevin Schilder. In fact, the Raffels and Biessman are still there to this day (Schilder seems to have left back in 2011).

The Raffel brothers' in particular do have much more admin-focused roles these days, but IIRC they were directly involved in the development of Singularity and Wolf '09, as well as the multi-player elements of the CoD series.
Hellser wrote:They FUBAR SimCity (I don't think this was Maxis' fault. More along the lines of EA telling Maxis to rush their unfinished product out), everything they touch turns to shit in due time.
Playing devil's advocate here, but it's highly unlikely EA just picked some random date out of the air and told Maxis they must release the game on that date. There would have been meetings between EA management and the Maxis development leads, and they would have agreed a time frame between them. Maxis (or at least members of their staff) are certainly to blame if they couldn't keep to what was agreed.

In any other industry, if a deadline for a project is agreed and the employee(s) responsible doesn't meet that deadline, it's usually not the fault of the management (I know who'll get in trouble if I don't have all my accounts reconciled by the end of the financial year, and it's not my managers). Why should video games be an exception?
Xtyfe wrote:I wouldn't call 12 year old console kiddies who use mommy and daddy's credit cards to buy games "gamers"
So kids who spend 40+ hours a week playing games aren't gamers, whereas working adults who perhaps manage to cram in a couple of hours per week between their job, house work, looking after the kids, grocery shopping, etc are? Did logic die with Mr. Spock? (Sorry 'Trek fans - too soon!)
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

They don't appreciate games like we do, it's just big splosions and things and stuff. This is the the only reason EA is still around
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xtyfe wrote:They don't appreciate games like we do
How condescending and arrogant...
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Everybody's got their tastes. I even own a couple EA games myself. I choose not to attack other people just because they prefer a game that I don't like. That gets us nowhere. I will suggest other games they might like (especially if their preference is anything by Zynga or King.com), but I won't go "augh not that one" and I will certainly not accuse people of not appreciating the medium.

Because sometimes, all I really WANT out of a game is "big splosions and things and stuff."
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

wildweasel wrote:... "big splosions and things and stuff."
Which, to be fair, have been around since the Atari 2600 ;)
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

...and Michael Bay is what we got to represent those, with a little addition of Linkin Park/Imagine Dragons and Dubstep on sound effects
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

scalliano wrote:Which, to be fair, have been around since the Atari 2600 ;)
Everything in Atari game is an event.

Return to “Off-Topic”