I love Doom but I'm also bored of Doom

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

I love Doom but I'm also bored of Doom

Post by Nash »

When I want a near-vanilla experience I play Chocolate Doom but sometimes that's boring. So sometimes I'll use ZDoom to play vanilla/Boom-compatible WADs. But as awesome as ZDoom is at stock settings, it doesn't "feel right". So I'll try to introduce mods. But (G)ZDoom weapon and gameplay mods are normally waaay over the top and too drastic in their changes and there's no middle ground.

HOW DO I MAKE DOOM A FRESH EXPERIENCE AGAIN?!?!?
Spoiler:
Shit I might splurge the 1000+ Malaysian Ringgits for an Oculus Rift dev kit just to see what the fuss is all about :S
SamVision

Re: I love Doom but I'm also bored of Doom

Post by SamVision »

You have no idea how much I've been through this. When I first ran into this dilemma, I played Doom 64 and PSX Doom TC. Now I've ran into it again just like you.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

See, this is something that I think about too! Especially when the community is regularly putting out triple AAA quality mods (mods have voice acting now...voice acting) for $0! At the same time, some of these mods are polished, but not what I'm looking for in terms of gameplay, and I have no idea where I'd want to start with any hypothetical dream mod I might make.

It's a very humbling, confusing time to be a part of this community, I must say. :p

Edit:
Realized you were saying the same thing I was! :X
Last edited by Snarboo on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trance

Post by Trance »

Nash wrote:HOW DO I MAKE DOOM A FRESH EXPERIENCE AGAIN?!?!?
Funny that you should word it that way, because of the modders whose work I've seen in this community, as far as I'm concerned, you are on a very short list of modders I would consider the true innovators of ZDoom, who tend to bring the freshest perspectives on what can be done in the Doom engine. You constantly impress me with the test mods showing what this old pixelly shooter engine can accomplish.

I think what might be a fresh experience is a mod and associated mapset that focuses on a new bestiary with an emphasis on not providing difficulty through sheer numbers but through exciting and challenging individual/small-group encounters. One of the biggest things that bores me about Doom's traditional type of gameplay is that monsters don't feel like a threat and a focus of a player's attention so much as an impediment to their momentum through the level.

For such a mod to be successful I believe it would necessarily have to involve extensive hacks to modify those monsters' AI behaviors, which would be a lot of really fiddly work. But the dumb basicness of the default Doom monster AI precludes most individual monsters being a real challenge to your average ZDoomer. I think if serious thought and work was put into innovating the AI of monsters in order to craft some brilliant new baddies, it could freshen one's Doom experience quite a lot.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Trance wrote:
Funny that you should word it that way, because of the modders whose work I've seen in this community, as far as I'm concerned, you are on a very short list of modders I would consider the true innovators of ZDoom, who tend to bring the freshest perspectives on what can be done in the Doom engine.
Really? I'm noticing quite the opposite. Most of the projects lately have been Original The Game Mod and nobody's actually making Doom maps anymore. You know, in ZDoom.
Nash

Post by Nash »

edward850 wrote:
Trance wrote:
Funny that you should word it that way, because of the modders whose work I've seen in this community, as far as I'm concerned, you are on a very short list of modders I would consider the true innovators of ZDoom, who tend to bring the freshest perspectives on what can be done in the Doom engine.
Really? I'm noticing quite the opposite. Most of the projects lately have been Original The Game Mod and nobody's actually making Doom maps anymore. You know, in ZDoom.

(Obligatory :P emoticon)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Play Heretic.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Play Hideous Destructor and git gud. Shameless plug!
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Ixnatifual wrote:Play Heretic.
To be brutally honest, a big part of Heretic is a reskin of Doom. Hexen actually has true gameplay innovations, and Strife just takes the cake. I've never finished any of these games, but that's how I sum them up.
Big C

Post by Big C »

SPEEDRUN CHEX QUEST. SPOON ONLY. FINAL DESTINATION. NO ITEMS.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

undead003 wrote:
Ixnatifual wrote:Play Heretic.
To be brutally honest, a big part of Heretic is a reskin of Doom. Hexen actually has true gameplay innovations, and Strife just takes the cake. I've never finished any of these games, but that's how I sum them up.
I agree. Heretic plays very much like Doom, but with a different look and "new" levels that generally play very well. I was thinking that might be what Nash needs, though he is a little vague on what exactly he's looking for.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Funnily enough, what Nash is saying might basically be the thing that underlies this post that I just made independently of this thread before I even knew it existed:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 26#p816526
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

If anything, I think Ling's Instagram mod would indicate not taking it so seriously and just having fun within the confines of Doom would be a decent idea for trying to freshen things up for yourself.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, haven't you been working on some ridiculously ambitious open-world thing Nash? It might be worth stepping back from that for a moment and either taking a break from the Doom engine to recharge your batteries, or building something smaller and more agile.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

One way I tried to fight boredom with UT2004 was to install MapMixer for a more 'shuffled' experience, since browsing the options of maps available take a lot of damn time and can be paralyzing if there's so much of them. Same goes for Q3a by using the UIEnhanced mod.

Maybe Doom needs something similar, like a frontend with an instant grabbag feature, loading random wads from folders (like a maps folder, a weapons folder and a monster folder, perhaps maybe even a music folder)

Return to “Off-Topic”