Fan-Written Doom Screenplay

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NiteOwl

Fan-Written Doom Screenplay

Post by NiteOwl »

I guess this all started a couple months ago. I was writing a sequel to a script I had finished sometime last year, completely original stuff, but my collaborator wasn't feeling the story, and I was losing steam on it, creatively speaking. So I took a break and... out of the blue started playing Doom again. Toying around with mods. Discovering all this stuff for the first time really. Somehow I thought it'd be an 'interesting' idea to watch the movie again.
I was pretty angry with it to be honest (despite the fact I still have a man-crush on John Grim/Karl Urban) and I started having ideas on what a good Doom movie would be like. Which led to a few concept posters I made...

Image Image

And then... the idea hit me to write my own script.
A what-if project to just keep writing while I took a hiatus from my other script. Complete with concept art...
But, in order for this to be worth a damn, I had to give myself a few guiding principles for this script...

One, within the bounds of reason and good storytelling, stick to the game's story.
Two, Doomguy has no name. It's not that uncommon to have a protagonist without a name in movies these days.
Three, incorporate First Person P.O.V. into the action scenes, rather than having an isolated FPS scene somewhere in there.

Under those concepts, I produced about 20+ pages in a few weeks, and ended up talking to a buddy of mine about it. Showing him some of the work I did.
Of course, it helped that we were actually playing Doom while we talked, but he got so jazzed about it we started talking in hypotheticals about the costuming and prop work we would have to do if we were making a short film out of it. After a good two hours of talking, I set everything down and asked him if we could do this for real; film a short scene from the script, as a sort of standalone proof of concept, highlighting the tone, the action, and a few things I put. He's built costumes for professional cosplayers and was immediately confident that he could at least do the costuming and props for a five to ten minute film.
On the spot we (re)designed Doomguy's armor/uniform...
Image Image

and then took our little budding project to another friend of ours, and then another, and another, and before we knew it we had actors, a crew, shooting locations, equipment, the works. Despite the fact we're only filming about... 6 or 7 pages, I've been adamant about fleshing it out as a full length screenplay. Which I'm still working on, but I thought it'd be cool to get feedback from other Doom fans.
I'm totally down for letting people read what I have so far, PM me for details. Otherwise, questions... suggestions... fire away. :)
Last edited by NiteOwl on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Fan-Written Doom Screenplay

Post by phantombeta »

YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.
This. Is. Awesome.
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

lol! Thanks! I'm glad you like it!
If you ever wanna take a peek at the script, lemme know.
Shooting the actual short film probably won't start til next month. And including post, probably won't wrap til May, so there's a bit of time between now and then.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

NiteOwl wrote:Image
I just have to say, that. is. BADASS.

This better be Doom (4)'s armor style or close to it. If it's not, it better be a mod down the line. The Doom movie to me was alright, but it went too far outside the Doom storyline. This sounds amazing though. It would be nice to have an actual real Doom movie, even if it's not top-budget or a blockbuster film. I'd watch it, I'd buy it! Best of luck to you! :D
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

Thanks so much! We're aiming to make the final costume as close to that design as humanly possible.
We're going to custom mold the helmet, and make custom pieces for the chest armor. Both will have LED strips inside, but the LEDs on the chest armor will show his armor/health level. It'll be neat.
Big C

Post by Big C »

That drawing with the armor is terrific! Although if you're looking to make it look more 'realistic' than the game's artwork I think the front plate should go down to at least the bellybutton or so, if possible.
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

Thanks! I should point out that there's also going to be plated armor under the jumpsuit as well.
Athel

Post by Athel »

You mean...you're making an ACTUALLY DECENT DOOM MOVIE?! Awesome! Now you have me waiting for a teaser! ;-)
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

Well it's not gonna be that long. It's a couple scenes from a full length story. But I don't have the budget to do anything feature length.
The short film will start when the marines arrive on Phobos, and end after Doomguy's intial skirmish with some of the possessed guards.
But the story I'm writing goes far beyond that in both directions. I've taken a few liberties plot-wise, but I haven't changed the concept or the story from the game.
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

For anyone interested, this link will be valid for a while. That's the first 40 (approximately) pages of the script.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Gave it a careful read, imagining each scene and i must say i'd love to see this.

Was that a Baron or a Cybie? :P

I would love it if you could implement a few of the "alternate reality" monsters as well, such as the Chainstosity, but that would be too much to ask.
Best of lucks to you and yerr team :P
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

Actually, it's a pinky demon! Considering that he's only seen imps and possessed guards so far, Doomguy's concept of "big" is well... small. At least in comparison to what he'll be facing later on!
But yeah, I'm drawing very little inspiration from Doom 3, because essentially I believe that was the downfall of the 2005 movie, but-
I love the pinky demons from Doom 3, so I definitely wanted to use them. And also, that jump scare with the Imp popping out of the stairs. Definitely Doom 3.

Don't worry though, the Cyberdemon does show up. And I'm sure you might have an idea or two about how I'm approaching the whole... demons + cybernetics thing.
What'd you think of that?

Anyways, I plan to cram lots of monsters and such in there, it'll get crazier as it goes on. And I even have some neat plans for "Female Voice".
Thanks for reading by the way! Much appreciated.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I suppose that is the Human Flesh+Mechanical Parts observed by the doctors, that was kinda freaky but suits the UAC very well, i'd expect them to break every human right to make their "Products".
NiteOwl

Post by NiteOwl »

Yeah! They used nanobots to make sure the cyber limbs can bind effortlessly to virtually anyone. or in this case... anything.

I've also been toying with the idea that bigger demons can possess people and use their 'meat' to end up looking like their true form. Which is how you get ones like the barons and the cyber demons. Which would also explain how some of them end up with cyber parts. But I felt that might be too complex for what I'm trying to do.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Does it start with the marines on their way to phobos, or are they already there when it starts.

Return to “Off-Topic”