OK, What Other Doom Maps Have References In Them?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Athel

OK, What Other Doom Maps Have References In Them?

Post by Athel »

(Hopefully) We've all played through classic Doom, at least up till the Chasm :-D and also TNT, till Level 7

Well, one day, I was just sitting around, thinking about why the levels are named what they are. I targeted my first favorite map, Wormhole. I was thinking about the context of it when I realized: "Wormhole is the first level with time travel!" Think about it. You start off in an abandoned base. As you keep going, you discover a tunnel system. As you go along a hallway, the floor beneath you gives way, and you find yourself in a secret cave, with an imp and a few fireblu bars. Step through it and...everything is dark. Layout is the same. You've just discovered a "Wormhole" through time, the future where humanity is extinct.

So now I ask you guys a few questions:

1 - Are there any other maps with time travel?
2 - Your thoughts on what I said above and,
3 - What, if any, other references are there in the Doom series?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: OK, What Other Doom Maps Have References In Them?

Post by Matt »

The Unholy Cathedral has no real direction. There is no altar, just a big circular hall in the middle, with doors covered by teleporters that lead to frustratingly arbitrary destinations.

Any place for the Absolute has been removed as much as possible. Only the fear and domination of the towering architecture remains.

EDIT: There was a mod earlier that was an attempt to convey the Gospel to the reader. Its final boss was fighting against the weak and sinful flesh.

Now take a look at E3M1.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

there is an room in e4m1 in the orginal DooM where it make a reference to Quake in the Future with the Logo on its Nail Box's
Athel

Post by Athel »

Vaecrius wrote:The Unholy Cathedral has no real direction. There is no altar, just a big circular hall in the middle, with doors covered by teleporters that lead to frustratingly arbitrary destinations.
So very much agree. This map is just horrible. I DREAD playing this. Last time I played it took me 35-40 minutes, just to realize --- I walked past the freaking blue skull!!
Now take a look at E3M1.
Only thing I see is that E3M9 is basically an edited E3M1.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

Doom 2 map 31 is still canon, it's part of Hell where all the fallen nazis from WW2 are.

Return to “Off-Topic”