Original Doom

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Original Doom

Postby Galaxy_Stranger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:18 am

When doom and doom ii were released, what did you wish the game could do that it couldn't back then? What did you wish the game could have done/featured when it was originally released?
Galaxy_Stranger
Shropshire Slasher

Re: Original Doom

Postby doomjedi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:41 am

Well...mix "Brutal Doom" (maybe with less blood - more realistic blood, those pools look over the top) with "Skulltag" - you've got Doomers dream methinks...
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Discord: DoomJedi

Postby Hellser » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:21 am

doomjedi wrote:Well...mix "Brutal Doom" (maybe with less blood - more realistic blood, those pools look over the top) with "Skulltag" - you've got Doomers dream methinks...

Spoiler:

I don't think so.. I think Doom is fine as it is. Don't need no voice actor yelling "GO FUCK YOURSELF". As Doom was designed with the idea of YOU, the PLAYER being the Marine. Why do you think it says at the end of Doom II, the Marine is simply called "Our Hero" instead of "DoomGuy", "Flynn Taggart", "FuckYourSelf"?

An opinion is an opinion, regardless. I however wish Doom had more levels. Probably DooM II running with 64 maps instead of 32. Two episodes of pure bliss. :D
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Remmirath » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 am

Slopes and room over room
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:25 am

tbh 32 maps in one go are way too many. first Doom had the right idea with 3 selectable episodes with incremental difficulty level, but playing 32 levels in one go? it gets tiring, and it's why i never really bother playing through all of Doom 2.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby TheBadHustlex » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:28 am

Personally, I'd liked more different monsters. Exclusive monsters for the base-, city- and hell-maps would've been nice.

Hellser wrote: "DoomGuy", "Flynn Taggart", "FuckYourSelf"?

I always imagined him being called George for some reason.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

Postby GooberMan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 am

I always wanted the locations to link up in a more "realistic" manner. Doom was the most realistic game I'd played at that point, and the various buildings on Phobos/Deimos just seemed far too disconnected to me. I remember planning my own episode (before I had an editor) where it all linked up properly.

(This, of course, informed my mapping output where everything did try to link up in a realistic manner.)
GooberMan
Best taken in small quantities

Postby Peter Bark » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:47 am

not when it was released, but awhile later i always wanted to be able to load duke 3D maps onto doom.. i tried it many times when i was young.
later i found at a flea market a duke to doom map converter, cant remember if it even worked but it is not exactly what i imagined

I even drew a monster on the bottom of the PSX doom CD with a felt tip pen, then put the game into the playstation and hoped the monster would be in the game..
I would even put crash bandicoot in the playstation with the doom on top to see if I could mix both games, i even put crash in first, took the game out without turning it off so the game was still on the screen, and then put doom in..

I was a little 90s kid. we didnt get taught much about technology in school back then. what did i kno
Peter Bark

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 pm

run smoothly on a 386 without both rebooting with a bunch of drivers unloaded and reducing the screen size to near-minimum

split-screen multiplayer (I didn't even have a modem then, and computers were rare, expensive and large enough that they were quasi-fixtures in the house like a piano or fridge)

ability to modify actor behaviour without cannibalizing frames from something else

monsters actually spawning in the spawning vats (ED: not like an endless gauntlet mode but like critters visibly growing in the goo)
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby leileilol » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Brightness control. Fortunately was quickly done by v1.1

Ladders or stairs in E1M3's stupid slime pit. First time I played that level I just dived right into it no thanks to choppy framerates.

A graphical manual for the shareware as elaborate as the other shareware titles of the time (mainly Apogee games). At that point Baron of Hell was just known as 'big badasses' to me.

Paddle War

Chaingun having its own firing sound and being more useful to use in low framerates. I didn't use it much because it took more time to kill an imp than a shotgun can in low framerates (low as in ~3-7fps, Tseng ET3000 is no help)

hard to rethink what I thought Doom needed 21 years ago in the best of context so this is quite a brain pry. I thought then Doom was already great, enough to disregard Wolf3d as old hat, even then in a world before the three digit megahertz.
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby MetroidJunkie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Remmirath wrote:Slopes and room over room

I think slopes were originally going to be in there, guess they couldn't get it working the way they wanted it to.
MetroidJunkie

Postby Athel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Remmirath wrote:Slopes and room over room

I think slopes were originally going to be in there, guess they couldn't get it working the way they wanted it to.

It did, but Carmack got rid of it because in that day and age, their hacks to make Doom even boot up made the framerate to drop.

...but im sure that shovelware CD that had rats09.wad on it had a slope in it in vanilla doom......
Athel
Oh god what do I do here

Discord: Athel#2406

Postby MetroidJunkie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 pm

fellowzdoomer wrote:
It did, but Carmack got rid of it because in that day and age, their hacks to make Doom even boot up made the framerate to drop.

...but im sure that shovelware CD that had rats09.wad on it had a slope in it in vanilla doom......

So slopes were too much for computers at the time to handle?
MetroidJunkie

Postby Athel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:14 pm

I guess so. The computers werent exactly Windows Vista back then.
Athel
Oh god what do I do here

Discord: Athel#2406

Postby leileilol » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm

fellowzdoomer wrote:It did, but Carmack got rid of it because in that day and age, their hacks to make Doom even boot up made the framerate to drop.

No

Tiny stairs are not slopes
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Next

Return to Off-Topic