I'm actually done with BD

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: I'm actually done with BD

Postby Big C » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:27 am

I was BARELY willing to forgive Mark for his awful personality until I found out he wasn't properly crediting so many of the authors he cribbed code from.

If he was going to be a racist psychopath, he could have at least been a PROFESSIONAL racist psychopath. Asshole.
Big C

Postby Kostov » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 am

I played through TNT Evilution with Sperglord Edition.

It was boring.

I'm now going to use other mods when I play megawads.
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator

Github ID: K0stov

Postby Zanieon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 am

Big C wrote:I was BARELY willing to forgive Mark for his awful personality until I found out he wasn't properly crediting so many of the authors he cribbed code from.

Brutal Doom in for first instance never would have existed if Mark's first project didn't existed with my code of Gore which i actually use for Hunter's Moon (kinda i'm the grandfather of BD which i don't care the shit of how it ended now) and Mark never credited me for the his initial idea of making Doom more violent as Brutal Doom is now by taking my code of gore and using it every way possible in BD.

Well i really never cared about it because a bit before the end of Orkut (yeah i met him on this prehistoric social network) his behavior was changing to the toxic thing that is now and due to it i thought that someday would end with a hate (including myself on this because the hysterical fanbase).

I gave many tries on Brutal Doom and i think the effects is still too much for so less (looks like a wad made by Michael Bay) with every small explosion covering all your screen for trivial seconds where you or the monster die due to low health, another point is the sounds which most of them isn't harmonic with each other (especially the juice sound used for gore which i used back on Doom Reinforced where he took the gore completely).
Zanieon
A Tamer of The Dark

Discord: Zanieon#3177
Twitch ID: Zanieon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 am

Is it just me or was there anyone else who never cared about BD because it totally destroys what Doom stands for?
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Gez » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:10 am

I'm just gonna say that I didn't enjoy BD's gameplay when I tried it, and I tried it only because it won a Cacoward at the time, and I'm not playing BD not because of Mark's character flaws but because I don't find it enjoyable.
Gez

Postby Arthropleura » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 am

I gave up on BD a while ago, its not that I don't like the mod, It just that ther are so many others that are so more enjoyable. Mods that completely change how you play the game, whereas brutal doom just plays like doom with fancy guns, lots of gore, and a the ability to break lamps by swearing at them.
Arthropleura

Postby jdredalert » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:32 am

Revilution wrote:
Brutal Doom in for first instance never would have existed if Mark's first project didn't existed with my code of Gore which i actually use for Hunter's Moon (kinda i'm the grandfather of BD which i don't care the shit of how it ended now) and Mark never credited me for the his initial idea of making Doom more violent as Brutal Doom is now by taking my code of gore and using it every way possible in BD.

Well i really never cared about it because a bit before the end of Orkut (yeah i met him on this prehistoric social network) his behavior was changing to the toxic thing that is now and due to it i thought that someday would end with a hate (including myself on this because the hysterical fanbase).

I gave many tries on Brutal Doom and i think the effects is still too much for so less (looks like a wad made by Michael Bay) with every small explosion covering all your screen for trivial seconds where you or the monster die due to low health, another point is the sounds which most of them isn't harmonic with each other (especially the juice sound used for gore which i used back on Doom Reinforced where he took the gore completely).

I've used some of the blood/gore effects and codes in the past, most from the "ketchup mod" released by Mark (which was supposed to be only the blood and gore used in BD, without any gameplay changes). I guess i should give you the credit now.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Clownman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 am

In all honestly, I found BD mostly... mediocre at best. The zombies whining has to be my most hated part though, seriously I would expect them to try and eat my shins not cry and make annoying wailing sounds.

Personally, Super Skulltag is a better "Enhancement" for Doom. It keeps the core gameplay while adding some new elements, plus a lot more additional content.
Clownman
I'm not gonna fight you... I'm gonna kick your ass.

Postby NeuralStunner » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:46 am

Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:Brutal Doom by itself isn't bad. it's Mark's attitude that was the problem. if Mark didn't act the way he did, i don't think there'd be all this controversy revolving around the mod, and the only real annoyance would be everyone asking for BD compatibility with everything ever in the everness of everity.
As Gez pointed out, to a lot of people it just isn't anything special. It's a feat to remain in the "not interested" camp when the worshippers are constantly in your face. Though the inverse is also sadly true... I got tired of this mod more quickly from haters constantly ripping it than anyone who likes it.

Even before things blew up entirely, there were those naysayers going the "fight fire with fire" route. Why, if you believe that a mod is terrible and doesn't deserve all the attention it gets, would you continue to give it so much of your attention? Of course, this attitude never changes, just the "worst mod ever" of the week does. It take someone with some really positive charisma (E.G. TerminusEst) to get much of the spotlight.
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:Is it just me or was there anyone else who never cared about BD because it totally destroys what Doom stands for?

I'm not sure it did that exactly, but I do know it kind of takes everything Doom was to the absolutely nth degree. Then dragging it through the oth, pth, and qth degrees before kicking it straight in the rst.

If you don't think BD is grossly overdone in pretty much every respect, you might have problems.
Jimmy

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Big C » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Clearly the lesson we all should be taking away from this is that more people need to play Hideous Destructor. :P

SUFFER WITH ME. :twisted:
Big C

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:
TheBadHustlex wrote:
Glaice wrote:...The infamous DECORATE N-word code comment...

What's that, exactly...?

Mark left a comment in the code of the Plasma Rifle, i believe, about "burning niggers", which, when it got found out about, he apparently decided not to remove it at first or something? i don't remember exactly what transpired, but it was about the comment in the code.
My own recollection was something more like ~this weapon can turn a man normal person into a nigger faster than rap music~, in reference of course to the blackened appearance of the plasma-burned victims. It's racist, but not necessarily an explicit incitement to racist violence.

Big C wrote:I think as time went on Sarge started changing Brutal DooM from an amusing parody of heavy metal excess to a...Well, not-parody. With an obsession with gore and antisocial behavior.
I really don't think the desire to create parody could account for the amount of work and dedication to even the original release of BD.

Seconding your comment re: professional racist psychopath. :V

As I've mentioned a here and there, BD started to get boring once he SM4 nerfing everything and it just became an overwrought (seconding Cybronik re: too much for so less) cosmetic mod with a few gameplay quirks, and got boring for sure after he got rid of the one-liners.

That said...

Tormentor667 wrote:Is it just me or was there anyone else who never cared about BD because it totally destroys what Doom stands for?
The silent Doomer majority, I would surmise. What little we know about the canon doomguy (beat the shit out of his CO for ordering his troops to fire on civilians, considers the status of "restricted flicks" an issue enough to be worth mentioning) is that he's actually a pretty classy, decent guy, something that is completely edited out in the Doomcomic roid-raging asshole in BD - which is amusing on its own terms, but is problematic when it starts to replace the canon mythos.

(also, do not be surprised if "SUFFER WITH ME" is going to be a boss brain line next update. :V)

EDIT: I believe it was "normal person" not "man" which kinda makes it worse
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby wildweasel » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Vaecrius wrote:EDIT: I believe it was "normal person" not "man" which kinda makes it worse

Actually, it's even worse than that: I recall the line was "white people." Which comes into a whole other level of not-good.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby TheBadHustlex » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 pm

"White people" sounds better when you talk about people of different skin-colors, if you ask me. I mean, if there are "black" people, why shouldn't there be "white" ones, too?

And I guess I found that line in BDv16.
Well, yes, it's racist. It's not the best the best joke I've ever heard, either, but I really think it was ment as a joke, and not as a serious insult against black people.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:22 pm

@WW: Not sure if I can agree that that makes it worse - if anything it seems to ameliorate it by making it a contrast between two specifics which slightly mitigates the identification of blackness as a defect. But this does get to the level of discussing whether or not a shit shat by someone who'd eaten slightly spicier food than another shitter stinks more than that second person's shit. :|

@Hustle: The racist stereotyping can add up and other studies IIRC have shown that these "harmless" racial stereotypes can actually prime a person subconsciously for worse things.

Now, of course, I've heard worse from better people in my everyday life than this particular line and I'm sure that goes for most people here, but if it can be censured without creating needless drama at your dinner table it should be.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic