Your Computer(S) Specs

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Your Computer(S) Specs

Postby XanderK9 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Caligari_87 wrote:Look for some kind of program that gives you "workspaces" or multiple desktops on one monitor. I use Linux, and I have four workspaces arranged 2x2. You can probably find something for Windows that does the same. I'll usually put a browser in one, and depending on what I'm working on, GIMP in another, reading/schoolwork on a third, fourth contains my Pandora app, Pidgin chat and misc other stuff. It's seriously incredible and really makes life easier.

8-)

I'm aware of such software, but when I said I have a couple of windows side by side it's because I'm actively using them for my current work. Fortunately, I usually don't need multiple windows when I'm working on digital art, but as I have started learning on modding for ZDoom, I usually have one instance of Slade3 and the web browser showing the wiki, but I sometimes have another window of code that I use as reference to understand the typical structure of code I'm currently working on. I just need to adjust my workspace to make it more comfortable on my laptop.

However, I'll keep that in mind whenever I will have a more complex workspace. :)
XanderK9
The Elusive One

Postby xenoxols » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Caligari_87 wrote:Look for some kind of program that gives you "workspaces" or multiple desktops on one monitor. I use Linux, and I have four workspaces arranged 2x2. You can probably find something for Windows that does the same. I'll usually put a browser in one, and depending on what I'm working on, GIMP in another, reading/schoolwork on a third, fourth contains my Pandora app, Pidgin chat and misc other stuff. It's seriously incredible and really makes life easier.

8-)

This is not a good reason to install it, but windows 10's window snapping provides similar functionality. It was incredibly useful when I was using windows 10, but steam didn't always work properly. And fullscreen youtube blue screened the computer. So yeah if you don't have anything that needs window in said workspace, try using some linux distro. I have actually never used software like that for linux but I have heard of it.
xenoxols

Postby Siggi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Siggi

Postby Undead » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Dual monitor setup?
Undead

Postby Siggi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Yeahip. A 27" monitor and a 32" TV.
Siggi

Postby Undead » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:31 pm

Right! I have a new PC. Here're the specs.

Operating system: Windows 8.1
Motherboard: MSI H97 PC Mate
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 760
Undead

Postby loismustdie555 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:35 am

Ehhh why not. I'll post mine. Here's mine.

Spoiler:
loismustdie555
Pro at getting ahead of myself
Banned User

Postby xenoxols » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 am

Forgot to mention that I have a CRT monitor that only accepts 16:9 resolutions. It cuts off a lot of the image. Also you have a very high-end graphics card but a 1600x900 display? Why would you even bother with a 780ti!?
xenoxols

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:19 am

xenoxols wrote:It cuts off a lot of the image. Also you have a very high-end graphics card but a 1600x900 display? Why would you even bother with a 780ti!?
Maybe because he doesn't have a monitor any larger than that? :|
NeuralStunner
An Exercise in Self-Indulgence

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby xenoxols » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:46 am

My point was that buying a 780ti is spending extra for no benefit if your playing at that resolution. Even for 1920x1080 some cheaper cards are almost as good.
xenoxols

Postby Blue Shadow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:44 am

Maybe he has a lot of money, but likes smaller resolutions. :p
Blue Shadow

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby DoomRater » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:56 am

Maybe something requires an insane graphics buffer.
DoomRater
Hi, I'm bob.

Discord: DoomRater#6308

Postby wildweasel » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Or perhaps paying a little extra for the privilege of not having to buy another damn $300 video card for the next five years.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby MetroidJunkie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:58 pm

wildweasel wrote:Or perhaps paying a little extra for the privilege of not having to buy another damn $300 video card for the next five years.

That's what I was thinking of, a stronger GPU will be retain its viability longer so he won't have to keep replacing it if he wants to continue playing new games.
MetroidJunkie

Postby loismustdie555 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:09 pm

MetroidJunkie wrote:a stronger GPU will be retain its viability longer so he won't have to keep replacing it if he wants to continue playing new games.

This is why I chose a 780Ti.

Also, sorry about not replying guys. Shit got in the way. Oh well. Now, back to doom! :D
loismustdie555
Pro at getting ahead of myself
Banned User

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic