New Member Introductions

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Xerenogan
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Xerenogan »

Good day folks,
I'm a Computer Science student from the US. I'm a big fan of FOSS projects, games, and their respective moding comunities, though I myself havn't contributed much yet. I first got into doom some time in the early '00s through the shareware version, and a couple years later with a full version compilation disk which came with a doom 3 preview. Life then happened for the next decade, but I got back my enthusiasm for the game when a certain mod was introduced to me. (I think you know which one) Since then, I have moved on to everything else that the community has to offer.
And what an offering it is to behold! More than twenty years of maps, art, ingenuity and creativity. I finaly decided today was the day to make an account here (and on Doomworld) so that I can partake in the discussion. The other reason was so I can contribute to content that I like. It occured to me that over time, in various mods and such, I would encounter some small niggling thing that turned out to be easy to fix (like a simple syntax error or a misspelling) and I would fix it. Then, some time later, when I had forgotten about it and redownloaded the mod, the same error/s would be there, because I hadn't shared. Shame on me.

But enough about me. Have a great day folks.
Hambourgeois

Post by Hambourgeois »

howdy all. i mostly do vanilla/limit removing stuff and my main interest in terms of engines is eternity but i recently played through hellforged and faithless which piqued my interest in gzdoom and related ports. i barely have time to do anything these days but i figure i might as well have an account here and not just at doomworld.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Welcome. Well, Doomworld is just a shell of what it once was. I rarely even visit it anymore, mostly it is to just check out the /idgames archives.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

CeeJay wrote:Welcome. Well, Doomworld is just a shell of what it once was. I rarely even visit it anymore, mostly it is to just check out the /idgames archives.
Interesting to see this opinion :) I visit both equally, but its mostly for the older discussions and historical backtraces, and its good for announcing any non-ZDoom projects, including EDGE.

I have to agree with you that, certainly the last few months there has been a steady increase in what i call empty threads - Threads that contain questions that are so common it pains me that the search function is not advised more, aswell as threads that do not some to foster and constructive discussion but just yes/no/sarcasm answers. Stuff like ''Do you know about this super well-known game?'' or ''If you could choose a Doom monster, which would you think is the most annoying'' and variations on that theme.

It must be the age, but i simply do not find such threads worthwhile anymore. They don't promote any point of discussion, they are the same question repackaged over and over, so i do not interact there. I only make a thread if i have something worthwhile to say, like recently The Linguica Archive of crazy vanilla portal works and DeHackEd stuff.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Maybe it is a age thing like you said (probably is) but once upon a time Doomworld was THE best place for everything DOOM. It had forums, hosted project sites, /idgames archives upload, chat forums, events plus a slew of other cool stuff. Now it is just bare-bones forums and the /idgames archives which I am pretty sure isn't 100% complete. Perhaps I am just getting old, I dunno.

EDIT: And yes, being one of the old farts still around, I have certainly seen a change in the attitude of the community over the years but that is a can of worms I really don't fancy opening at this point.
Phate6660
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Phate6660 »

Hi all, new member here. I'm phate, and I'm a *nix enthusiast who programs for fun. I don't really play games anymore, but I still find the classic DOOM games to be extremely awesome.
If I seem like I'm inactive, that's not the case. I have a really bad habit of lurking, because anxiety makes it super hard to talk. Even online.
Anyways, I hope to contribute to this community as much as I can. Whether it's making mods or whatever. In fact, I have a project post that I want to make right after typing this up.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

CeeJay wrote:Maybe it is a age thing like you said (probably is) but once upon a time Doomworld was THE best place for everything DOOM. It had forums, hosted project sites, /idgames archives upload, chat forums, events plus a slew of other cool stuff. Now it is just bare-bones forums and the /idgames archives which I am pretty sure isn't 100% complete. Perhaps I am just getting old, I dunno.

EDIT: And yes, being one of the old farts still around, I have certainly seen a change in the attitude of the community over the years but that is a can of worms I really don't fancy opening at this point.
The hosted project sites are (thankfully!) still there, just not updated anymore. It still has quite a lot besides /newstuff.

I think the issue is more that people grow older but also retroactively start prioritizing things a bit more. ''Is this thread worth the drama? Nah, probably not''. But that will never fully go away, i realize.

Perhaps there will always be a divide. I don't know.
Phate6660 wrote:Hi all, new member here. I'm phate, and I'm a *nix enthusiast who programs for fun. I don't really play games anymore, but I still find the classic DOOM games to be extremely awesome.
If I seem like I'm inactive, that's not the case. I have a really bad habit of lurking, because anxiety makes it super hard to talk. Even online.
Anyways, I hope to contribute to this community as much as I can. Whether it's making mods or whatever. In fact, I have a project post that I want to make right after typing this up.
Welcome, Phate! Looking forward to your project thread :) What kind of program's are the ones you like to program? Any examples of your work? :)
Phate6660

Post by Phate6660 »

Redneckerz wrote:Looking forward to your project thread
Here it is! It's a WIP Discord Rich Presence for GZDoom.
Redneckerz wrote:What kind of program's are the ones you like to program?
There's nothing in particular really, anything that interests me. It's kinda hard for me to get in the zone, but when I do I can program non-stop until the project is done.
Redneckerz wrote:Any examples of your work?
Yep! I'm on Github (less active, but more stuff), Codeberg (more active, but less stuff), and sourcehut (most active, but least stuff).
To explain: I started on Github, migrated to Codeberg, then migrated to sourcehut. And I now maintain repos in all 3, though sourcehut and codeberg tend to be more updated.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Phate6660 wrote: Here it is! It's a WIP Discord Rich Presence for GZDoom.
Interesting. A few months ago there was a user who requested this exact thing to be included in GZDoom. It was [No]'d obviously, but this is still very very neat.
Phate6660 wrote: Yep! I'm on Github (less active, but more stuff), Codeberg (more active, but less stuff), and sourcehut (most active, but least stuff).
To explain: I started on Github, migrated to Codeberg, then migrated to sourcehut. And I now maintain repos in all 3, though sourcehut and codeberg tend to be more updated.
I took a peek and there's definitely some nice utilties in here. Good to have you onboard, Phate, well done and i am looking forward to your activities here. :)
TriTT

Post by TriTT »

Hi I'm new to the forums but not new to Doom. I've been playing since the 90s. I joined the community because I want to become active in the level design and graphic design scene. I play Doom online under the same alias I'm using here and on Doomworld.
frozenfoxx

Post by frozenfoxx »

Hi there, I've been a Doom fan since '93 and worked with various ports over the years. I built a Hacker Capture the Flag with Rails + Zandronum https://github.com/frozenfoxx/arganium, and recently built several projects for deploying multiplayer Doom servers in Docker containers. I also built a client port for it that could pretty easily be ported over to gzdoom if desired, https://github.com/frozenfoxx/docker-zandronum, that runs in a Docker container with noVNC.
sambabus

Post by sambabus »

i am sambabus,
lurker, gamer, tamer

very cool frozenfoxx
Tetzlaff

Post by Tetzlaff »

Hi, I'm Tetzlaff, Doomworld forum member since 20 years. Now also registered here, been visiting the site since many years to find awsome Zdoom mods.
Mehrbod_MK

Post by Mehrbod_MK »

Hi everyone!

My name is Mehrbod and I'm 18 years old. Happy that eventually, I managed to join this community.
I used to work with Doom Builder and ZDoom and ACS Language about a long time ago, but never found these forums.

Thanks and I wish you a very nice day. :D
DoubleA2015

Post by DoubleA2015 »

After about a few years of playing the Doom games plus a year of browsing the forums downloading mods (or has it been less than that? I haven't kept track, honestly), I decided to make an account myself. Anyway, I'm DoubleA2015, and I'm honored to be with this community.

Return to “Off-Topic”