New Member Introductions

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Discord: #0561
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions (Added to OP)

Post by Devianteist »

TankenAbard wrote:Am I doing this right? Maybe, lets see.

Long time fan of doom engine games, always been interested in making stuff in it. Been trolling these forums only for the last month or so.

Last time I did anything with Zdoom/Skulltag/Zandronum, it was 2009 I think. I have my old project, and currently working on a new one. These new A_DoThing parameters are awesome, confusing, yet opens a lot of doors.

I'll likely make a post in the ideas and things thread, outlining my brainpuke.
Welcome to the forums, and I hope you see success in your endeavours.
AnonymousDwell
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by AnonymousDwell »

Hi there, all. My handle is AnonymousDwell. Because, uh... well... I guess I try to be anonymous. And I... dwell? Yeah, that works. :P

Anyhow, I'm a longtime Doom, Hexen, Quake, etc. fan, both on PC and console. Prefer the classics over the new entries, although I am actually partial to Doom 64 because I feel it has some killer level design.

My main reason for joining is because I just got Hexen to work well in ZDoom (I find it has better controller support than other ports out there ... yeah, I know, sacrilidge, but I grew up on consoles so I like controllers if I'm in a single player game. Forgive me! :P) and I have some questions about using custom music in a game. (Namely Hexen running in ZDoom.)

I'm a COMPLETE neophyte (what I believe my fellow internet denizens refer to as "n00bs") when it comes to modding and editing anything at all, so I will likely be very dense, slow to comprehend, and verbose in my lines of questioning. I sincerely hope I don't bug anyone. I will hold off on that though until my first post is rendered visible by a mod, after which I will post in the Editing forum instead of here, as I imagine that's the most appropriate place. (If it's not, please inform me! Thanks!)

Anyway... happy classic FPS-ing to all, and be gentle. I'm too young to die. >:P
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Discord: #0561
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

AnonymousDwell wrote:Hi there, all. My handle is AnonymousDwell. Because, uh... well... I guess I try to be anonymous. And I... dwell? Yeah, that works. :P

Anyhow, I'm a longtime Doom, Hexen, Quake, etc. fan, both on PC and console. Prefer the classics over the new entries, although I am actually partial to Doom 64 because I feel it has some killer level design.

My main reason for joining is because I just got Hexen to work well in ZDoom (I find it has better controller support than other ports out there ... yeah, I know, sacrilidge, but I grew up on consoles so I like controllers if I'm in a single player game. Forgive me! :P) and I have some questions about using custom music in a game. (Namely Hexen running in ZDoom.)

I'm a COMPLETE neophyte (what I believe my fellow internet denizens refer to as "n00bs") when it comes to modding and editing anything at all, so I will likely be very dense, slow to comprehend, and verbose in my lines of questioning. I sincerely hope I don't bug anyone. I will hold off on that though until my first post is rendered visible by a mod, after which I will post in the Editing forum instead of here, as I imagine that's the most appropriate place. (If it's not, please inform me! Thanks!)

Anyway... happy classic FPS-ing to all, and be gentle. I'm too young to die. >:P
Don't worry, we'll hurt you plenty. :P Don't expect any ultra-violence, though. We try to be civilized. Love your vocabulary, it's not a nightmare like some other "n00bs." Okay, that's enough DOOM difficulty puns.

Welcome to the ZDoom forums, and hopefully you learn what you came here to learn.
User avatar
phantombeta
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by phantombeta »

Devianteist wrote:Don't worry, we'll hurt you plenty. :P Don't expect any ultra-violence, though. We try to be civilized. Love your vocabulary, it's not a nightmare like some other "n00bs."
Yeah... Those rookies need some english training...
AnonymousDwell, you should check out some of the mods by our veteran and elite modders, for example, Hunter's Moon, Diaz: Last Hours Of Purity, Trailblazer and Psychic.
Oh, and please be careful when mentioning stuff like Brutal Doom, or it might turn into a bloodbath...

:P
AnonymousDwell
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by AnonymousDwell »

My sincere thanks for the warm, and plentifully hurtful (not literal,) welcome. :P

I certainly will check those mods out, thank-you. I'm off to the Editing forum now to begin my quest for knowledge lol.
-doomdude-
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:57 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by -doomdude- »

Hi,
just arrived. I'm here because I would like to do some small modification for myself, I can also release them, but you have such incredible stuff here that will be a bit... pathetic. Anyway, thanks for your web site, pretty useful.
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Discord: #0561
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

-doomdude- wrote:Hi,
just arrived. I'm here because I would like to do some small modification for myself, I can also release them, but you have such incredible stuff here that will be a bit... pathetic. Anyway, thanks for your web site, pretty useful.
Welcome to ZDoom, and don't put yourself down, there. Nothing here is pathetic (unless the community at large has agreed it is, and even then). Plus, now that you're here, you'll learn so much to improve your stuff.
Miru
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Miru »

Hello world, I'm Miru!

You may recognize me from the Freedom Planet forums or various Sonic forums, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about how miraculous it is that Doom has survived due to an open-source engine allowing for countless source ports and new modifications.
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Discord: #0561
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

Miru wrote:Hello world, I'm Miru!

You may recognize me from the Freedom Planet forums or various Sonic forums, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about how miraculous it is that Doom has survived due to an open-source engine allowing for countless source ports and new modifications.
It is amazing indeed. When I first came across DOOM, it's source ports and modifications, and everything beyond that, I was stunned that this 20 year old master-piece is still played and modded.

It's a beautiful thing.
-doomdude-
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:57 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by -doomdude- »

Devianteist wrote:
-doomdude- wrote:Hi,
cut
Welcome to ZDoom, and don't put yourself down, there. Nothing here is pathetic (unless the community at large has agreed it is, and even then). Plus, now that you're here, you'll learn so much to improve your stuff.
Thanks.
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Discord: #0561
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

You are welcome -doomdude-.
User avatar
Lord Smash
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Lord Smash »

(Well, i registered some hours ago, so i though it would be a good idea to introduce myself).

Hello everybody, my name is Lord Smash, i'm somewhat new to these forums.
I came here (somewhat accidentally) when i wanted to get a sourceport to play doom with mods.
I like to play doom,but i also like to play other games (Duke nukem 3d is my favorite one so far)
I also like to make mods and maps, even when i suck at both

If (ZdoomMemberIntroduction "Lord Smash") == 1
return iwastoolazytowritesomethingelse
User avatar
phantombeta
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by phantombeta »

Code: Select all

foreach (Member x in zDoomMembers) {
    if (x.Name.Equals ("Lord Smash", StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase))
        x.canCode = FALSE;
    else if (x.Name.Equals ("phantombeta", StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase))
        x.canCode  = TRUE;
}
(Sorry, I had to)
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Discord: #0561
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

Lord Smash wrote:(Well, i registered some hours ago, so i though it would be a good idea to introduce myself).

Hello everybody, my name is Lord Smash, i'm somewhat new to these forums.
I came here (somewhat accidentally) when i wanted to get a sourceport to play doom with mods.
I like to play doom,but i also like to play other games (Duke nukem 3d is my favorite one so far)
I also like to make mods and maps, even when i suck at both

If (ZdoomMemberIntroduction "Lord Smash") == 1
return iwastoolazytowritesomethingelse
Seems like Phantombeta beat me to welcoming you to the forums, but I'll still welcome you anyway. I hope you enjoy your time here, and keep in mind that there are more sourceports out there with their own modifications, so gather a couple together and see what you like most.
User avatar
cambertian
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:24 pm
Discord: cambertian#6245
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: New England Area, USA

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by cambertian »

Hey everyone, new person here. New to the forums, new to modding, new to Doom, etc. Wildweasel might recognize me from another forum.

What draws me to Doom in the modern day, you may ask? Well, I think it's a lot of things, but the biggest is the warm sense of community. The game's great, but the mods are even more fantastic. You guys do amazing things - I'm incredibly jealous of all of your skills.

I hope I don't cramp this place's style somehow. I feel a little... "immature" compared to you guys. Though, I have seen parts of the community shamelessly partake in Chex Quest, so maybe I'll turn out just fine.

Return to “Off-Topic”