New Member Introductions

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
csnxs
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by csnxs »

hi im sean and i did a thing in zandronum apparently

i'm also trying to post a thread but the server isn't responding - mainly just making this post to test if I can actually do anything here
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Hello Sean. Nice to see you.
SeasideStowaway

Post by SeasideStowaway »

Just here on business, regarding permissions and credits.

EDIT: Can't seem to send PMs yet, which is the whole point of me registering here really.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SeasideStowaway wrote:Just here on business, regarding permissions and credits.

EDIT: Can't seem to send PMs yet, which is the whole point of me registering here really.
It normally requires three posts, but I've manually removed the Newly Registered flag from you now, so you should be able to now.
r6d2

Post by r6d2 »

Hi! Old-school doomer here, 25+ years and counting! Mostly interested in current technologies applied to retro games, like Hi-res textures and game-play mods.

Nice meeting you all!
ValeriePalerie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ValeriePalerie »

Hello! Name's Valerie, been around in the background of Doom modding since ~2012, figured I would make an account here to share my piece every now and then.
Rapidgame7
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Rapidgame7 »

Hey there!
I've been playing Doom II for quite a while now, and even registered to the forums about two years ago but never made any replies, so I thought it was about time to make a small introduction.

Found Doom through SRB2.
Not exactly decent at making maps, music or graphics, but I took an interest on learning ACS or ZScript, so I can then yell at random people to take a look at my shitpost of a mod.
I've been modding SRB2 through Lua for a while now, so I bet it will not be easy to enter a pseudo C++ environment, but I can probably try!
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Rapidgame7 wrote:Hey there!
I've been playing Doom II for quite a while now, and even registered to the forums about two years ago but never made any replies, so I thought it was about time to make a small introduction.

Found Doom through SRB2.
Not exactly decent at making maps, music or graphics, but I took an interest on learning ACS or ZScript, so I can then yell at random people to take a look at my shitpost of a mod.
I've been modding SRB2 through Lua for a while now, so I bet it will not be easy to enter a pseudo C++ environment, but I can probably try!
From what i have seen, ACS is x1000000 times easier to learn than SRB2's Lua, so i don't think it's going to be that bad.

ZScript is maybe about level with the difficulty of learning SRB2's Lua, but i have written a bunch of code even without any previous experience with C/C++ or tutorials or anything like that, so i imagine it should be easy to get most potential out of it if you already have used some other language.
limba99

Post by limba99 »

hi guys. I'm creative guy, working on movies =)
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Right now after writing more than 200 posts on this forum it's time to introduce myself :laff:

My name is Vadim and I decided to join this forum with some sort of nick that "dark" feeling to it just to fit in the general doom mood. The first intention I had was to publish my hi-res stuff in here, so I could share something with doom modding community and this fact could comfort my ego a bit :twisted: , nope, I would be able to get this feeling of being someone who contributes something to the community.

No, Doom is a game that always been here throught my life, it's a game that helps me to cope with stuff that life drops at me, it's one of the few of worlds I can escape to for a short while.

My acquaintance with this game started with doom 2, I played doom 2 and then duke nukem 3d for 2 years until I discovered Doom Shareware on my old games disk. The first words that came to my mind back then was like wow, that's doom on base, I didn't have internet then and didn't know even a bit of English, so I didn't know anything about the plot, I was so happy to see something familiar and fresh. That was actually my dad who introduced me to doom, at first he had doom 2 and duke and told me like which one I would prefer but since I didn't play any pc games before, father said he knows cheat codes for doom not for duke so the first fps I tried was that doom 2 with only two codes: iddqd and idkfa. So I was a 6 years old guy playing such a meaty game.

Regarding modding the first thing I ever did was that I discovered build maps editor for duke nukem 3d and I was maybe like 9 years old then, but I quickly lost interest in it as everything seemed too complicated so I quit doing all these mapping things. Maybe around 2009 I saw doom remake mod that was running on jdoom port, sure I also found out what port stands for then. I played it maybe for two weeks until I totally regret the thing. I can't remember exactly what made me to open a browser and find something about editing maps for doom. Perhaps it was an idea that to make a map for counter-strike source but since I felt like that would be too hard to handle, so a word doom almost immediately came to my mind and I googled for a doom map editor, it was doom builder 2 and it pulled me in for a short while. At first I tried to imagine what I seen as a "dream" and tried to replicate this from the top view of the editor, then I realised how I sucked at that. That was 2011 for me when I mapped for about half of year and IIRC it was the time I discovered 3d floors, but anyway I abandoned the thing shortly. My next adventure into doom world began when youtube recommended me a video of brutal doom, it seemed so ridiculuos to me at first but it really hooked me for a long time. Then there was a time when I opened quake 1 world again and at the age of 16 I could enjoy the game unlike the last time I seen it at the age of 7 that sort of scared me and I forgot about it for so long. But then I thought if I could create something similar for doom as I already knew 3d floors were there but this time I had experience with photo-realistic rendering and I just wanted to know if I can do anything that might make these maps look fancier, maybe with such details like grass and trees. So the first map of my current project was born, it was also the moment I discovered line portals and then even stacked sectors and those were the engine capabilities I wanted to use because original doom maps were all good but lacked what is called room over room structures and I didn't think 3d floors are good for anything. It always felt to me that original doom and quake only had good tech levels, so bases were good hell wasn't there at all. I wanted to imagine what hell could look like if I used original doom art style, additionaly I really like slayer band, turned out I can't do anything with just linedefs and sectors, as large maps look ugly because details are practically impossible to recreate, it's getting impossible to work with such maps and most importantly it slows down a much, so an idea to use external assets as an actual part of the maps was born. I red up the internet on inserting custom actors in the game using decorate. Creating just a couple of sprites of such details like grass, trees, rocks and stones was enough for me to understand that they just don't fit doom maps well, but I had some experience with 3d modeling and visualization, so I again looked up on the internet to see how I place my 3d models in the maps and yeah I'm there. And here is where engine limits started to come out: relatively small map size, bad lighting capabilites, slow render times for all these 3d floored structures, no collssion for 3d models except for a bounding box that is defined in decorate actor dimensions, moreover this box doesn't scale accordingly to a visual scale factor of an actor. I found some workarounds regarding the limitations so these models are now the actual parts of my project's maps, you can bump into them, they block your projectiles and you can even walk on them. I found the ways to optimize the maps by utilizing portals, so my old dream comes true, the progress on my levels for doom is on, I'm not out of ideas yet and have a lot of work to do before I can release it.

I'm really interested in doom creation history, who made the maps and how, but I already know a lot about it thanks to the forums and youtube, but I can't promise anything similar to original doom in terms of level design, I want something new.

https://imgur.com/a/JVAEJla
portable fridge

Post by portable fridge »

i came here to ask for some help on why my game keeps stopping saying cannot find map 0 on the gzdoom editor. please help?
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

There is some corruption occured to your levels file, maybe it has a different format? Perhaps you could find a solution to the problem with the file attached.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

Hello, first time posting on the ZDoom forums, just registered minutes ago. Was suggested to look around here for mods from a Steam Discussion thread, but I've been messing around with DooM for... I think two years now? Maybe three, not entirely sure. Started with FreeDOOM in Zandronum, then got GZDoom and the DooM Classic Complete bundle on Steam.

Because of the fact that I never played DooM until rather recently, my personal perception of what DooM is is tinted by the lens of modern source ports: it's a fast-paced, roller-coaster thrill ride of gunfire, explosions and carnage. I'm personally not interested in Brutal DooM or other mods that focus on adding gore to the game, but rather more interested in mods that emphasize the speed and the aggression of the old classic .WADs, or find ways to increase the excitement in ways like making the enemies more aggressive, or the weapons more powerful, or stuff like that. For me, DooM is all about the power fantasy of being a lone unstoppable bad@$$ tearing through hordes of demons and saving the world.

Some of the mods I've already got include:
  • Zion, a mod that brings the enemies and weapons of the 2016 reboot to the classic games;
  • Russian Overkill, the most overpowered weapon set in DooM modding history;
  • Boom Power, which makes enemies explode on death and can lead to hilarious chain reactions;
  • Back to Saturn X, both of the first two episodes, though I've only really played Get out of My Stations much;
  • Lunatic and Vanguard, two mapsets from the legendary Skillsaw(I honestly got Lunatic just because it uses music from Tyrian, the classic vertically-scrolling shmup, but it's also a really fun mapset even without that);
  • Deus Vult II, a collection of slaughtermaps that are extremely well-made and fun to play through;
  • MechaTron, which puts you at the controls of a heavily armed war machine;
  • Xim's Star Wars DooM, bringing weapons and enemies from the Galaxy Far Far Away to DooM;
  • Diabolus Ex, an excellent cyberpunk single map;
  • Maps of Chaos, extended versions of the original DooM maps;
  • Random Deaths & Decorations, which improves all the sprites in the game and adds new death animations to most enemies;
  • Ancient Aliens, an extremely fun megawad that pokes fun at the "Ancient Astronauts" conspiracy theories;
  • and from having FreeDOOM, I have Double Impact, a rather fun episode replacement for The Ultimate DooM.
Honestly, I'm mainly looking for music mods right now, ones that replace all of the slower songs in DooM with faster paced, more exciting stuff. Some of the music for some levels just doesn't fit the fast action of the gameplay, and I don't really like having that kind of mismatch. I hope to find some good stuff around here.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

So, I'm probably going to regret it like always, but might aswell.
Hello, I'm Jarewill and I'm fairly new to doom and to the forums.
My first introduction to zdoom was megaman 8-bit deathmatch, which I played ages ago, it was one of the first versions I'm fairly certain.
Back then I didn't know that doom was a thing, so yeah, I got truly introduced to doom about.... 4 years ago, thanks to a certain twitch streamer that goes by the name of Vargskelethor Joel.
I played a bunch of doom ever since, it easily being my most played game ever. I've tried to make some maps, which ranged in quality from mediocre to terrible, and I've tried modding a bit, making some stupid ideas come true every so often. Most of those are just weapons, though I've also made some huds out of boredom.
I've played many doom mods/maps in my little time of being here, mods like hideous destructor and guncaster remain as my favorites still. I've been on the doom discord for a bit, before I left, and I've made an account on the forums recently, I only made 2 posts asking about stuff, so I've thought that maybe I should talk a bit more here and well.... It's taking a lot of effort to not just delete this entire message and go back to not existing.
Either way, that's just me, a little nobody on the internet that likes to play doom.
Last edited by Jarewill on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

hi ive been to this forum a bunch since 2012 but now I have a gaming pc and I come here a lot to check new stuff people make.

Return to “Off-Topic”