New Member Introductions

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
KJV

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by KJV »

Ping forum.zdoom.org,

Just registered to say a very big thank you to Randi for the many years of thrill and sheer enjoyment that I got out of ZDoom. Currently hoping for a seasoned programmer to show up and reclaim the 8-bit renderer that the legacy may continue on.

I don't like talking about myself, but I do like talking about ZDoom.
May the Lord bless Randi's soul and help him through whatever path he's decided to take.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

(Randi is "she," by the way.)

You can actually get the 8-bit look by changing the Tonemap Shader to "Palette" under the graphics options. I don't see ZDoom going back anytime soon, because 8-bit was always a limitation and there's really no reason to support it these days. Other than that, there's Chocolate Doom or Crispy Doom for legacy gameplay and looks.

8-)
KJV

Post by KJV »

Thanks for the hint. I'm still rocking the WinXP+P4+GF6 boat though, so let's see how that works out (read something about shaders somehow being involved even for the 32-Bit software renderer sometime ago, but don't quote me on that). Unfortunately I had to give up on GZDoom for that very reason (backwards compatibility with retro software which I would not sacrifice) and if it comes down to it, I expect it to be a while before I actually move on.

These legacy engines are fine and serve their purpose well, but I like the way things are done in ZDoom and in a strange way it's like seeing a close relative depart.

I'll be a monkey's uncle! Randi a woman? I had absolutely no idea, at all. Sorry about that.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

+vid_renderer 0 would be your friend for GZDoom, then. It's ZDoom's software renderer, but with enhancements from the QZDoom branch.
KJV

Post by KJV »

Thank you. Totally looking like it at this point.
Alice Jameson

Post by Alice Jameson »

Not actually a new member but my old account has been deactivated for some reason. Anyone know how I can go about restoring my old account? I had some threads, posts and mods from that account and I'd like to preserve the continuity if at all possible.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

AliceJameson wrote:Not actually a new member but my old account has been deactivated for some reason. Anyone know how I can go about restoring my old account? I had some threads, posts and mods from that account and I'd like to preserve the continuity if at all possible.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=55791
Alice Jameson

Post by Alice Jameson »

Thank you! I don't seem to have access to the page that they linked to send a detail message. I messaged the person who made that thread though, as well as wildweasel. Hopefully that works, I'd really like to continue using my original account.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You cannot access that link if you are logged in.
Alice Jameson

Post by Alice Jameson »

Oh sorry, I hadn't realised that. I see my account is active again. Thank you all so much! I'll try to be sure to continue to login regularly in the future to hopefully avoid this happening again.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I would hope that regular log-ins should not be a requirement to keep your account marked as active - however, we have had issues with an alleged group of users abusing the member list and finding old, inactive accounts with weak passwords and using them to troll our members. It is for this reason that we have, twice now, had to lock down accounts that have not been logged in for a long time and verify the credentials of those trying to use them.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Well, hello there. Introduced to Doom through Brutal Doom, and still wholly enjoy it. Yeah. Bite me. :)

Am currently dabbling into mapping, and generally doesn't know a lot about Zdoom under the hood. I think I still have a lot of things to learn here.

I'm also Asian, and a big fan of Serious Sam. In case that's interesting.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Hello! This is me:
Profession: programmer (C#)
Hobbies: drawing and creating games & Doom levels.

Doom II was introduced to me back in 1994 by one of my brothers (“you gotta see this”) and for me there has never been a greater game; more than 20 years later it’s still the only game I played and finished more than once.

My first attempt creating my own Doom levels was in the 90’s with the WinDEU editor; I remember it was a little bit buggy and sometimes a level crashed and I had to rearrange some linedefs to get it working again.

However, because of a lack of time and many reasons more I did not create levels for a long time, but in 2011 I started to give it a try again. So I looked for modern source ports and was very pleased with ZDoom. This time I used Doom Builder and Slade and they felt so much better than the old tools. In 2014 I switched to GZDoom (and from Doom Builder to GZDoom Builder) because it offered 3D slopes and dynamic lighting.

Up to now I haven’t published stuff yet because it was mainly just for the fun of creating itself, but also because I think I am my greatest critic. At this moment I am working on a complete game with the GZDoom engine that will run under the software renderer\QZDoom too. So yes, that means no 3D slopes, but the main reason I started this project is that I decided to go back to the basics: I like being challenged with the possibilities as well as the limitations that are offered by an environment. Also I am very impressed by the true color software renderer, so I implied myself with the task that it should run in the software renderer as well.

I joined this forum because I have benefited so much from the info on the forum and wiki throughout the years that I thought it’s time to pay the community back with my own contributions. Last but not least : my deepest appreciation for the work of the creators of all those magnificent tools (Zdoom\GZDoom\QZDoom\SLADE\(GZ)Doom Builder and more..)

gw
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

Hi everyone! Hi everyone! I'm newbie here :D. I'm quite a gamer myself and currently I'm still playing games, especially RPGs (like Dragon Age Origins & Inquisitions, Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Persona 4 & 5).
My first Doom game was actually Doom 3 and I remembered that I've played it several years ago and I was really scared by the game at that time (probably too young for the game XD). Until recently, I've seen Doom and it was like a huge pushback for me. It reminded me of the old game, especially the easter egg of classic doom level.
I hope to learn and share experience with you guys. Thanks!
badcaradvice

Post by badcaradvice »

Hello folks.

I've played Doom since the beginning, and browsed these forums on and off. Figured I might as well start providing feedback when able and at least thanking the modders for their hard work.

Might even try my hand at map making one of these days...

Return to “Off-Topic”