The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Postby irontusk341 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:36 pm

picked up pneumonia at work over the weekend, so my projects are not gonna be priority at the moment, and with my mom in the ER with Covid, Novel writing seems to help keep my mind off things. ill get back into working on my mod and stuff later. Hope everyone is well. Take Care and happy holidays.
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby NeuralStunner » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Seems pneumonia's been hitting a lot of people lately... Take it easy, I hope you have a good one too.
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby RedoLane » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:09 pm

I took my music experience to the next level and started composing some MIDI tunes. I first tried to compose something DOOM Eternal-related, then worked on my own original melodies.

You can find the other MIDI music in my channel. I might share them to people who want to use them in their projects.

I also went to a few road trips by myself, synthwave in the background all the time. It's fun to get some alone time every now and then.
RedoLane

Discord: #7295

Postby Captain J » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:41 am

OH Now that's badass! And yes, i still think midi cover of any kind of music deserve a lot of love.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby NeuralStunner » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:48 pm

It's that time again! Again!

NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Captain J » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:04 pm

Sinterklas mas is all over here :(

But hope everyone is having the great holidays and all!

EDIT: Aaaaand Happy New Year!

EDIT:

Not really proud of this one
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby InsanityBringer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:13 pm

So in the interest of finally trying to push through my aging OpenGL knowledge, I finally sat down and started to learn Vulkan. One day later, I have an instance, I have devices, I have a swapchain, and I'm starting to try to attach images to it. This is slow progress, but I'm trying to ensure I understand what's going on, build a good interface for these things, and I'm also a horrifically distracted individual... (this bodes well for my future working career, I hope I can improe it...) So I'm still off from like, actually drawing a pixel, but I think I know what's going on, at least.

I'm also doing this completely pure for the learning experience, since I do want to be able to understand how this works before any helper libraries enter the picture, the only third party thing I'm using is the Volk loader, because I looked at LunarG and almost gave up right there because I wasn't sure how to use it cleanly. (in addition most of the projects were trying to use libraries like SDL, which as mentioned I'd rather avoid) The ability to just have a project like GZDoom that you can cmake, load in VS or whatever, and hit f5 and it just. fuckin. works. is so nice that I'd rather replicate that. This pure experience does mean I have to do pure Win32 programming and I'm going to have to write a heap allocator, even though I imagine any practical project I do I'd just pull in something like VkMemAlloc or whateer.

update: I've been reading Dustin Land's I am Graphics and So Can You blogposts about implementing Vulkan in Doom 3 as a sort of "map" for working this out, but I think it's damaged my understanding of pipeline barriers. This post in particular. It goes into detail of the potential hazards that pipeline barriers are supposed to handle, but it goes into no detail whatsoever about why such a heavyhanded approach is being taken, and for the life of me I simply cannot understand the hazard here. The part on pipeline barriers being used for image layout transitions makes perfect sense, but not the more general barrier.

Khronos's own samples as well as this blog post, as well as peeking at some frame captures in RenderDoc (which appears to not like vkQuake very much) have shown some practical examples, but I still for the life of me cannot explain the barrier being used in vkDoom3

update 2: yeah uh that was fucking bullshit and didn't even make it into the first public release of vkDoom3. I suppose I need to look around for educational materials that actually understand the API it's trying to describe.
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby NotAPortalKit » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Oh my......... I haven't gotten back into Doom since last October. I have been doing a lot of stuff lately I suppose :)

When I moved communities, my disk has been filling, and for a reason, I had to delete my entire Doom folder filled with goodies from the last few months I've been in the community. Which led me to completely going into a leave for this community. I've been less occupied with Doom stuff, and marked my way into 3d platformer games. But making one is hard, and even after 2 months of work, its still not finished, making me leave the prototype. After I left the doom community, I've been marking my way into SMOD related stuff. I was actually doing both Doom and HL2 stuff at the same time, and even made a doom mod based on a hl1 mod (btw dont ask for link because it kinda offensive tbh). But so far, I have been doing nothing the last few months.

Well except until the last 2 weeks, I've discovered the mystery of indie games. I've always wanted to make a game, and this looks like the best way to start.

Now, for what I've been doing, I've been busy coding in haxe for FNF modding stuff, and may not have less time with Doom.

But still, hope ya'll have a good day, and stay Funky! :D
NotAPortalKit
touhou is fun

Discord: qwertsgpt#1924

Postby Captain J » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:29 am

But hey, i'm so glad you're back and told us the status and whatnot. Good luck with the making of your own game!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Enjay » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:23 am

I know it seems obvious, and I should already have known this, but I realised that enemies can end a map.

I was testing a small set of maps that connect as a hub and had no-clipped to the boss battle. Half way though, I suddenly got zapped to the start spot of one of the other maps in the hub. It had never happened before so I pulled the map and boss decorate apart looking for some error that could have caused this to happen. Nothing!

Then I noticed that one of the exit lines waaay across the other side of the map was set up incorrectly. The line had originally been a door but I reconfigured it to be a walk-over exit line and forgot to clear the "monsters can activate" flag. My best guess is that I woke up a monster as I noclipped through the map and it just happened to wander over the line and trigger the script that is meant to send the player to the other map. I took the "monsters can activate" flag off the line and also set it to monster block and tried to replicate the conditions that get the unexpected map transition and it all seems good, so that must have been what happened. Of course, the monster didn't transport to the other map, but I did! I'm not sure how, but I'm sure this could be used as a mod idea in some way. :)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby irontusk341 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:07 pm

So, Bear with me here, im using my phone to type this.

I have an e button problem... i cant use the e button on my MSI GS65 Stealth 9SD, here's what i tried.

Removed E key and clean key and keyboard dock
Uninstalled/reinstalled SteelSeries keyboard driver
Antivirus full and boot scans
Running it in safe mode DOS
Roll back to previous version of windows 10.
oh and reformatted the entire system

since its under Warranty, i may send it back next friday for repair or replacement. i do have a Usb rollable keyboard coming in maybe that'll work for now.
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Mav3rick » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:49 am

maybe im good maybe im wrong ;)
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkQbElV
Mav3rick
Need some light??

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Princess Viscra Maelstrom

Postby Captain J » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:48 am

It's nice to finish the animation-
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby 42_the_Gamer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 pm

Currently making my own version of Brutal Doom.
42_the_Gamer
Lord of Inactiveness.

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic