The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Postby Nash » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:08 pm

leileilol wrote:I wanted to try tackling fogballs/"VolumetricLighting", but the way Unreal did it was by a lot of texture generation for software rendering, so that part's literally software rendered in glidedrv/d3ddrv/etc.. I tried a theory with a fan sphere and failed because it clipped a lot and ate a bunch of CPU for all the tracing I did..

I was always curious about that "fogball" effect in UE1. It's quite charming. It hasn't seen much use between UE1 games and actual 2020 volumetric lighting...
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby leileilol » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:33 pm

I would've imagined a 'big decal/dynamiclight but alpha blended" would work for a start, but the hard part would be closing a sphere around the extents of those polys and doing some vertexcolor calcs on that to make it dense AND not clip through the viewpoint (i'm thinking in fixed function here)
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby dpJudas » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Oh it is just an actor emitting fog like a point light does light? Thought it was more advanced than that. Been postponing adding the volumetric light fogmap textures because I figured they did something more advanced.

When the volumetric fog reaches the render device in UT it is essentially a lightmap with fog color instead that it applies.
dpJudas

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:50 am

Amused that there's talk of UE1 around here. It's too bad I've started to lose interest in it now.

I doubt a proper source code release would change that either, other than me having some better material to work with for replicating PHYS_Walking in zscript.

In regards to that sneaky mention of oldunreal, I doubt their changes could be made public, considering some are flagrantly NDA-breaking.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:44 am

I'd love to see a source release of UE1. The other old game where that's the case is Half Life - but I guess with both of these games and the companies behind them that's not going to happen.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby kodi » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:32 am

I think it's a shame that releasing source code only caught on a bit in certain genres. Certain RPG games could have massively benefited from it for example.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Postby InsanityBringer » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:43 am

tbh I'm kinda surprised that among at least 3 source engine source code leaks, the original half life code has never leaked (or maybe it has and it didn't get as much publicity...) Would be pretty cool to see how much they did with the engine compared to Quake. Unreal would also be really cool.
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby Vostyok » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:59 am

Feeling bad right now for the devs that would love to release their source, but don't want actual people to see what horrors they unleashed during crunch season.
Vostyok
I'm living in a cardboard box

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Vostyok wrote:Feeling bad right now for the devs that would love to release their source, but don't want actual people to see what horrors they unleashed during crunch season.

Especially any comments they may have left in the process. :laff:
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Vostyok » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Haha

Especially such (possibly inflammatory) comments.
Vostyok
I'm living in a cardboard box

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Gez » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Especially any comments they may have left in the process. :laff:

There have been some source releases where all the comments were stripped out first...
Gez

Postby leileilol » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:33 pm

InsanityBringer wrote:tbh I'm kinda surprised that among at least 3 source engine source code leaks, the original half life code has never leaked (or maybe it has and it didn't get as much publicity...)

A certain alleged "GPL" recreation from russia that gets ignorantly pushed around like a fan patch for granted, is derived from a leak, and there's been failed attempts to get that pardoned (instead of...well, calling it out and making an effort to bury the toxicity as other scenes have done for similar leak-based "recreations")... Other than that, the only actual honest attempt at a GoldSrc implementation was FTEQW at some point. There was never much motivation for it because of the very restrictive usage rights regarding HL SDK materials, and closed-rooming that is already a huge undertaking especially given the changes HL went through from all the patches and rereleases. (the HL BSP and wad system is the only easy part!!)
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby InsanityBringer » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:54 pm

ah, a HL reimplementation would be fun, but the mentioned licensing problems with the HL SDK would be a big thorn in the side and presumably kill any serious project. I really do find myself curious what Valve did under the hood with the engine.
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby irontusk341 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:09 am

watching a science documentary on Netflix called Alien Worlds... Its not too bad... would be better if narrated by Josh Brolin..
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:54 am

hnnnngmnnge 2020 is almost ending
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic