Postby camper » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:28 am

Captain J wrote:Yo it's been a while... The game is still kicking? :O

yeah, after 7 years
suddenly
camper

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Postby leileilol » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:17 am

something something lots of testing something PCem v17's out something

I did code a 2x2 box filter (the "High image quality" setting in Banshee/V3's control panel, or the 'high' filter setting in 3dfx tools) for the new Banshee / Voodoo3 emulation, but it's kind of regressed (it works, but the emulated CLUT happens before it and not after, so it's not very effective. You'd have to gamma down in the guest then gamma up in a shader to appreciate it)

Here's a gamma'd up example with PSO, which probably disabled dithering so the filter's just making bleeding artifacts off edges at this point. 2x2's at the right, ol' 4x1's at the left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Captain J » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:41 pm

Good looking design as always.

I sure do love cacos!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Siggi » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:09 am

Apparently the last time I logged in here was 2020-06-24. :shucks:

Last thing I did? Procrastinate working on my dissertation. :roll:

This year has been awful and I hope everyone here is doing well. :cheers:
Siggi

Postby dpJudas » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 pm

Toying with running Unreal Tournament without using the Unreal Engine.

dpJudas

Postby irontusk341 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:25 pm

dpJudas wrote:Toying with running Unreal Tournament without using the Unreal Engine.

Speaking of UT, Someone tried bringing PBR into Unreal Tournament but i cant find it now.
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby dpJudas » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:59 pm

I've seen some do displacement maps (probably using the unofficial 469 patch OpenGL renderer), but I don't think it was PBR. One of the really interesting things about UT99 is that all the lights are part of the map, so unlike Doom it is actually possible to render it all as true PBR assuming you have the textures and a new renderer.
dpJudas

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Hmmmm, running UT without the engine, huh? I wonder how...
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby dpJudas » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:36 pm

One of the really nice things about UT is that the actual game code is there hiding in the .u files. Thus open source already. In theory, if you reimplement what the engine does (the bytecode interpreter, the native functions declared by the game code, the renderer and audio playback) then the game should run.

That's what I'm doing in my current pet project. There is just enough info out there describing the unreal package file format to load it all. The game itself is using a pretty standard BSP rendering of that age. And by writing an actual VulkanDrv renderer for UT first I know exactly what the unreal engine decomposes the file assets into. Anyhow, long story short I'm at the stage where I can load the packages and render the assets. Next step is running the bytecode and see what happens. :)
dpJudas

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Good!
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby leileilol » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:11 pm

Would be wild to see a .UNR loader for Q3. End the debate for good :D
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby JPL » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:19 pm

dpJudas wrote:One of the really nice things about UT is that the actual game code is there hiding in the .u files. Thus open source already. In theory, if you reimplement what the engine does (the bytecode interpreter, the native functions declared by the game code, the renderer and audio playback) then the game should run.

That's what I'm doing in my current pet project. There is just enough info out there describing the unreal package file format to load it all. The game itself is using a pretty standard BSP rendering of that age. And by writing an actual VulkanDrv renderer for UT first I know exactly what the unreal engine decomposes the file assets into. Anyhow, long story short I'm at the stage where I can load the packages and render the assets. Next step is running the bytecode and see what happens. :)

This is very cool! I'm still holding out hope that Epic will do a proper open source release of UE1 at some point. I've bugged them about it on twitter a couple times, and the answer has been the expected "it will take some time to make sure the licensing is okay, and clean up the code" (who cares if the code is skunky, Doom source was released with no sound!). FOSS UE1 would open the door for FOSS Rune, Deus Ex, and others, and it's just a damn nifty engine. But it's cool to see a reimplementation project out there! Most old game reimplementation projects hit a wall and die shortly after they get the world rendering, because recreating the gameplay code well enough to feel anything like the original would be an enormous amount of work. With UE1 games written mostly in UnrealScript you've got something analogous to QuakeC. Still a ton of work to get eg player movement right, but it's something.
JPL

Postby leileilol » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 pm

I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's never been a chain-reaction of Epic source releases (not beyond headers and conveniently-provided uc code), plus there's the Galaxy problem and probably some EAX/A3D techno baggage so it'll end up being modified up anyway. Also loads and loads of code on specific assets would make OA-style recreation projects impossible for compatibility goals (kind of similar to how Build treats collisions from image sizes) and there's the additional libraries/pipelines from the licensees like Deus Ex (MP3) and Rune (whatever new model format they had for blended skeletal characters).). Also content projects require a big creative undertaking that doesn't mean painting-by-the-numbers looking like a blatant "we have x at home" product with a Free/Open prefix around it, which are rarely done (if ever) to be truly unencumbered. and then there's always the graphics entitlement coming from bad actors who just don't get it, feeling their linux mesagl 3.x is wasted on low poly non-PBR/VR/RTX stuff, so maintaining motivation with an ungrateful audience is also another battle

Spoiler:
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby dpJudas » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:50 pm

JPL wrote:But it's cool to see a reimplementation project out there! Most old game reimplementation projects hit a wall and die shortly after they get the world rendering, because recreating the gameplay code well enough to feel anything like the original would be an enormous amount of work.

It is certainly a possibility that will be the fate of my project as well. The by far most tricky part is actually 'booting' an UObject and not so much the native functions called by the gameplay code. The bytecode VM on its own seems fairly simple, but loading enough of UClass to run it is not.

@leileilol - agree on them never releasing the sources. If they really wanted to they'd have done it by now.
dpJudas

Postby leileilol » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:02 pm

The least I can do is make OA3's engine/client have some "Unrealisms", and so far:
- Side-to-side view bob and figure 8 weapon bob
- Detail textures that modify their mipmaps to fade as grey so there's less pattern, and a D3DDrv-like feature to add even more layers of them automatically
- Fixed-size coronas that are tracelines that have a gradual late fade when occluded
- using libXMP which could load UMX and having client engine functionality to fade-out then play another pattern, which is a very Unreal/Deus Ex thing to do

I wanted to try tackling fogballs/"VolumetricLighting", but the way Unreal did it was by a lot of texture generation for software rendering, so that part's literally software rendered in glidedrv/d3ddrv/etc.. I tried a theory with a fan sphere and failed because it clipped a lot and ate a bunch of CPU for all the tracing I did..
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic