The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Postby Darkcrafter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:14 pm

You seem very passionate about doing these! Did you try to monetize it somehow?
Darkcrafter

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:49 pm

I monetized all my videos, actually! My channel had some up and downs because of algorithm being a jerk, but i'm doing fine. Thanks for asking!

Also i'm not really sure if it's okay to keep uploading my animations here. I know that i did something productive, but seems spammy. :P

EDIT:
wildweasel wrote:That's not spam at all.
Glad to hear that. I probably might make more doom-related animated shorts!
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby wildweasel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 pm

Captain J wrote:I'm actually monetized all my videos, actually! My channel had some up and downs because algorithm being a jerk, but i'm doing fine. Thanks for asking!

Also i'm not really sure if it's okay to keep uploading my animations here. I know that i did something productive, but seems spammy. :P

That's not spam at all.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby irontusk341 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Captain J wrote:I monetized all my videos, actually! My channel had some up and downs because of algorithm being a jerk, but i'm doing fine. Thanks for asking!

EDIT:
wildweasel wrote:That's not spam at all.
Glad to hear that. I probably might make more doom-related animated shorts!

YouTube's Algorithm is merciless.. I wish things would go back to what they were in 2014.
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Rachael » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:58 am

irontusk341 wrote:YouTube's Algorithm is merciless.. I wish things would go back to what they were in 2014.

Long story short CNN hates competition, and Youtube is extremely competitive against what CNN offers - so they wrote a couple extremely bad-faith articles about Youtube and did a smear job against them, causing advertisers to flee the platform, which put Google in a panic.

That is why Youtube's algorithm is merciless.

A little warning this article is a little political, but little if any is actually true. None the less it was enough to cause a massive amount of hysteria which obviously caused the problems we are facing, today, and CNN has never bothered retracting it. Another warning: Take it with a grain of salt. The attacks being launched here are done extremely in bad faith, and are not genuine concerns of the authors. It's a hatchet job to try and sink Youtube, and to some extent, it worked, but not totally. It was still enough to irreparably damage the platform, however, and the creators who are on it especially. Link here

From what I understand there is more than one instance of it, but that's the only one I could easily find. And yes - that article is a direct cause for Youtube's algorithm becoming way worse than it already was before. Upon publication it caused a massive amount of videos to become demonetized. There was another article before this one that really takes credit for causing the problems to start with, though.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Captain J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 pm

Well that's... Really a shame. We just can't get along when it comes to doubting each other, huh? Right now, it's indeed hard get some positive news even though you have like near 4000 subscribers.

I guess i should upload more videos. This situation might take a while.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby SanyaWaffles » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:31 pm

This is why I don't trust alot of mainstream media. Fox or CNN. Everything they write just seems to undermine small time creator's genuine efforts.

However, people immediately put me into some sort of conspiracy camp for that. However CNN has everything to gain by smearing competitors - no matter their political leaning or intent.

Upload more videos, and do it for fun. That's the only way you can fight against these draconian policies Captain J.

BTW on a lighter note, I love your videos. Very funny stuff. I hope you do more.
SanyaWaffles
Wouldn't be an epic gamer if I didn't commit a few war crimes.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles

Postby InsanityBringer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 pm

today i learned that i've misunderstood the opengl spec for about a decade and have been consistently treating textures as having data that's top-down, when the actual specification specifies bottom-up.

I think even after learning this I might continue just uploading top-down texture data and fudging the UVs like I have apparently been doing for this past decade, since it's so much convenient. I wonder if this is still the way things are specified in Vulkan...
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby phantombeta » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 am

InsanityBringer wrote:today i learned that i've misunderstood the opengl spec for about a decade and have been consistently treating textures as having data that's top-down, when the actual specification specifies bottom-up.

I think even after learning this I might continue just uploading top-down texture data and fudging the UVs like I have apparently been doing for this past decade, since it's so much convenient. I wonder if this is still the way things are specified in Vulkan...

As far as I know, Vulkan treats it as top-down, left-to-right. Presumably, they changed it to match, well... Everything else in the world that deals with images and textures.
Which is good, because OpenGL's coordinate systems suck.
phantombeta
In the meadow of sinful thoughts, every flower's a perfect one

Location: Brazil, South America, Earth, Orion-Cygnus Arm, Milky Way
Discord: phantombeta#2461
Twitch ID: phantombeta_
Github ID: Doom2fan

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:01 am

Textures have no orientation. Only framebuffers do. For a texture it doesn't mean anything if 0 is top or 1, because you got to specify the coordinates explicitly.

BTW, GZDoom has a coordinate flip in its vertex buffer to handle both systems with one set of code.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby dpJudas » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:00 am

In later versions of OpenGL you can tell it to use the top-down convention. And I think they added to vulkan 1.2 the opposite where you can tell vulkan to use bottom-up (it defaults to top-down, like Direct3D).
dpJudas

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:06 am

hi, i'm not dead. i just got signed out automatically by the forums sometime ago and only just recently bothered to sign in again lol

i've finally gotten the motivation back to fix the masters on my upcoming album. i'm planning to launch it under a brand new name and alias, and i'll probably change my name here and on other places on the internet, just as a heads-up. i feel that i've grown out of my current username that i came up with nearly a decade ago, and want a fresh start as a result. so this is just in case anyone asks where Viscra went in the near future: he hasn't gone anywhere, just (eventually) goes under a different name.

i have roughly half a dozen unfinished albums lying around as well, that i'm gonna work on releasing after i'm done working on this one. i've been thinking about this name change for a long time, and that's why i've been largely dormant from releasing any new music under my Bandcamp; i want everything to be done and ready, so that i can spring back from my dormancy and release music at a more consistent rate. i've actually been incredibly productive since August, which has helped motivate me to make this change sometime before the end of this year.

2020's been kind a really weird year and not the best one overall, but i'm happy that it seems to be slanting towards a high note for me.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:06 am

dpJudas wrote:In later versions of OpenGL you can tell it to use the top-down convention.

As we are stuck with GL 3.3 as baseline support it's not really helpful to have such a feature...
Same with the stateless API. Can't use it if we still need to support ancient hardware and crApple computers.
Graf Zahl

Postby InsanityBringer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:30 pm

I suppose yeah, it doesn't really matter that much given that you can fudge UVs easily enough to make it work anyways. Like I've been doing all this time. I definitely know this whole thing came about because I saw many examples years ago that would just load a top-down image and shove it into an OpenGL texture and make it work anyways. No real problem there.

I'm glad Vulkan formalized top-down behavior though. Really need to stop dragging my feet on learning how to use vulkan...
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby Captain J » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 am

So yeah, about the animation, here's the recent one! It seems Among Us is still famous. My my.

EDIT:

I think i really should finish TAOS Episode 1.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic