Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Postby Captain J » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Fantabulous to see ya again, Scal!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby scalliano » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:53 am

I've been around, just haven't had anything worth posting in ages :P Working from home has physically taken up my creative space so the output is limited. Had a couple of weeks off work so I decided to clear out and do something fun.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby 42_the_Gamer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm

I am close to finishing my first mod!
42_the_Gamer
The KingDoomguy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 32-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Jarewill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 am

42_the_Gamer wrote:I am close to finishing my first mod!

Congratulations!
Wondering what it will be about. :D

While I'm here, I wanted to ask professionals here about a little situation I'm having while working on my own mod.
What is the best thing to do about lack of motivation?
I keep on getting ideas for it, and for other mods that I want to do after this one, but the moment I sit down and turn on my laptop, my motivation to work on it disappears.
I'd hate to see it not completed, so I wanted to ask what's the best thing to do in such a situation?
I'm still doing progress on it, but definitely not at the same rate as I was before.
Jarewill

Postby Rachael » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 am

Jarewill wrote:While I'm here, I wanted to ask professionals here about a little situation I'm having while working on my own mod.
What is the best thing to do about lack of motivation?
I keep on getting ideas for it, and for other mods that I want to do after this one, but the moment I sit down and turn on my laptop, my motivation to work on it disappears.
I'd hate to see it not completed, so I wanted to ask what's the best thing to do in such a situation?
I'm still doing progress on it, but definitely not at the same rate as I was before.

Motivate yourself with the reward of getting it done. Think of how great it would be if you finished it. Focus on that. If you thrive on others' appreciation, think of how happy they would be if you shared your finished work with them.

Also consider maybe you're just struggling with certain bits. You can ask for help. Or even post what you have in-progress to try and generate interest.

If none of that works, it might, unfortunately, be a dead project, which can be hard to come to terms with. But if that happens it won't be the first that anyone's had, it most definitely won't be the last.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Vostyok » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:59 am

^This. But if I may interject with my own thoughts:

Every project starts with an idea or a vision. Once upon a time you had this vision and decided to make it reality. Interestingly, that's further than most ideas get, which usually die dormant in a sketchbook or notepad somewhere. So well done on that at least. But I digress.

That vision or idea is what started you on your project. Maybe it started small, and got bigger as you had more ideas and made it more complex. Or maybe you had a grand, ambitious idea which would shake the world were it ever to leave the confines of your imagination. This is where the majority of the rest of the ideas die.

You obviously care about this project, or it would already be dead. Maybe, once you enjoyed working on it. But what you have now is a rut. Whatever you are doing right now isn't working. The well has dried up, the nitty gritty and the slog work is exhausting. The idea now starts to seem impossible.

To get around a wall, you either walk around it, or knock it down. Show it to someone you trust and get some feedback. Try and mockup or even finish one of the coolest scenes you can imagine. Even if it's just one scene. Then you can work backwards from there.

But most of all, try and remember why you started this in the first place. Is this another idea that will die? Or have you just forgotten the vision amidst the hard work? If you can't finish this wall, knock it down and use the work you've done to build a better one.
Vostyok
WARNING - SPOOPY MODE ACTIVE

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Captain J » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:10 am

Huh... Quite frankly, i'm SO GLAD i'm not the only one who lost all the motivation to work on more, time to time. It really sucks, you know? I already have the confidence and responsibility that creators often have. So i won't disappoint my fans for delaying it. But all kinds of overwhelming obstacles like Anxiety, Harsh Environment, and Personal Situations are definitely slowing me down. Being productive or not, the pressure is keep coming once i start working. I had enough really.

But after reading all the advice both Rachael and Voys, i think it's going to be alright.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Jarewill » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:23 am

Thank you both!
Vostyok, that was probably the best motivational speech I've heard up to date.
In the end, this ended up being the thing I needed the most:
Rachael wrote:If none of that works, it might, unfortunately, be a dead project

The fear of having everything I made so far go to waste was the best motivation fuel to get back to work.
Thank you greatly Vostyok and Rachael, that was tons of help. :D
Jarewill

Postby Rachael » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:47 am

Glad I helped, but scaring you wasn't the way I intended to. ():)
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Cyanide » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Caught a mean Path of Exile bug lately. Started solo self found on standard league, and time just kinda vanished on me... Going on a month long stay pretty far from home at the end of the month. Hoping to get some actual work done on Shades then.

Also ordered a new 8-string guitar, which will most likely be deelivered in January. Feeling like a kid on christmas eve!
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Postby irontusk341 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:20 am

Recovering at home, with a lingering cough and still sore all over, this virus was like someone threw a match in your nose and it landed in your lungs.
irontusk341
Main Author & Director of Diablo 3D: A Heretic mod based on the Diablo Games

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 am

The way you described the symptom sounds very disturbing... Please get well soon.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby xenoxols » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am

I made a tie out of some spare fabric.
xenoxols

Postby Darkcrafter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Motivated enough or not, I'm so done working on this pack and it's still only half done, wanna hear a joke? I though I could finish it before this year begins :laff:

https://youtu.be/zCUHUznFxAE
Darkcrafter

Postby Captain J » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 pm

The recent animation i made. My channel is going really fine!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic