The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SouthernLion

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by SouthernLion »

Lud wrote:I've always thought your car had manual transmission.
Nope. I wish it did, most of the time. I grew up driving standard, and when I was looking for a TransAm with the LS1, one of my requirements was for it to be manual. The manual version is faster, not only because it's lighter, but it is 6-speed with more aggressive gear ratio, and the automatic is 4-speed (although I have a more aggressive rear gear ratio aftermarket.) Ironically, the beater car I was delivering in was manual. Someone told me "Your toy is automatic and your work car is manual? YOU'RE DOING IT BACKWARDS!" LOL.

When me and my wife found the car, it was custom painted with purple accents/trim with the black, and purple has always been her color, so we felt like it was meant to be. Plus, it was one owner (some little old lady) with 34,000 miles, clean CarFAX, and everything was spotless inside and out, including the fluids. It was too much to pass up just for the ability to row my own gears, it's hard to find a "race car" from 1998 that has 30k miles lol.

The only time I'm glad it's an automatic is when I'm in stop and go traffic (1st...2nd....3..JUST kidding 1st again.)
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Why are your seats like that? And how?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

RexS wrote:Installed purple LEDs under the dash to light up the floor and pedals any time the door to the car is opened. (Purple is my wife's color, so I'm continuing that theme to honor her.)
So beautiful... So Aesthetic!! Those glowing lights says something about the true romance!! :wub:
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

RexS wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:Been a while since I posted here.

I'm developing a mod for Doom, based off of DOOM. But what will set mine apart from the rest is that it'll aim to faithfully recreate the weapon behaviors, items, and upgrade systems that were used in DOOM.
I have no idea what this post means. You're making a mod for Doom 4 (2016) based off of regular Doom? Or a mod for Doom based off of Doom? (Which I guess makes no sense.) Or a Mod for regular Doom based off of Doom 4? Both spellings are acceptable for both games........

Or are you referencing the movie somewhere in there???? I don't understand. Maybe I just need sleep.
Ok, first off, Rex... DUDE, I'm glad you're back! I don't visit the forums that often anymore to see what's going on here, considering that I discovered ZDoom's Discord server.

Second, whenever I refer to Doom (2016), I refer to it as "DOOM". Whenever I refer to the original games, I refer to them as "Doom".

So, to clarify, I'm making a mod, for the old Doom Engine (to be run on GZDoom, of course...) that's based off of the new DOOM, Doom (2016). I call it Embers Of Armageddon. It will feature the three upgrade menus (Weapons, Praetor Suit, Runes), the items (Powerups, Elite Guard Corpses, Argent Cells, Field Drones, etc.), and of course the weapons. All costs and cost systems are the same as they are in DOOM, and all weapon/weapon upgrade behaviors from DOOM are in. All Praetor Suit Upgrades are in. All Rune Effects and upgraded effects are in. All the mastery challenges for the weapons and weapon mods are in.

There are quite a few aspects of Embers Of Armageddon that I'm quite proud of. For starters, I modified D4T's weapon sprites further, improving/adding animations and the like, even adding mod-switching animations to the Gauss Cannon and Chaingun. A friend of mine contributed blue muzzleflashes for the Chaingun for its Uranium-Coated rounds. On top of that, it's totally generic. That's right... I structured the mod to be able to work generically, on any monster... without said monsters needing to be specially coded to react to these effects in the first place. :D This means that the Stun Bomb will work on any monster (though I coded it to not work on bosses). Headshots can be performed on any monster (aim for the top 1/6th of an actor's hitbox to perform a headshot). You can stagger/Glory Kill any monster! And about half of this stuff is now being carried via ZScript... my very first attempt at using ZScript in my own projects.

I'm missing a lot of assets, though, and it's full of placeholders... though I really wanted to get the gameplay aspect done first. Right now, I'm trying to recreate the effects of the In-Flight Mobility rune, because DOOM handles air control differently from GZDoom (because currently, you can go faster in GZDoom with air control because the speed you accrue midair actually *adds* to your current velocity, thereby allowing you to "bunny-hop"... I'm trying to disable that behavior of bunny-hopping, but I'm failing miserably). After that, I have three other runes to program, with their secondary effects, the Rune menu to program, the Rune Selection menu to program from the Rune Trial Stones (because I currently have no way of traversing between non-hub-linked maps as though they were linked by a hub map), and then determining and fine-tuning placement of such items and weapons. After that, it should be pretty much ready for an alpha release. :)

Ok, third... saw your car interiors... holy cow, lovin' that purple. :)

Me being the DOOM fanatic that I am... it reminds me of Quad Damage. :D

Alright, that's all for now. Peace!
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

hatakethecopyninja wrote:Why are your seats like that? And how?
You mean the lights? They were purple LED strips installed under the dash, and I had them wired to the "door trigger" so they only activate when the interior lights are activated from the doors being opened, and they shut off when the doors are closed.
Captain J wrote:So beautiful... So Aesthetic!! Those glowing lights says something about the true romance!! :wub:
Thank you. It definitely means a lot to me as her color, I love it.
DoomKrakken wrote: Ok, first off, Rex... DUDE, I'm glad you're back! I don't visit the forums that often anymore to see what's going on here, considering that I discovered ZDoom's Discord server.

Second, whenever I refer to Doom (2016), I refer to it as "DOOM". Whenever I refer to the original games, I refer to them as "Doom".

So, to clarify, I'm making a mod, for the old Doom Engine (to be run on GZDoom, of course...) that's based off of the new DOOM, Doom (2016). I call it Embers Of Armageddon. It will feature the three upgrade menus (Weapons, Praetor Suit, Runes), the items (Powerups, Elite Guard Corpses, Argent Cells, Field Drones, etc.), and of course the weapons. All costs and cost systems are the same as they are in DOOM, and all weapon/weapon upgrade behaviors from DOOM are in. All Praetor Suit Upgrades are in. All Rune Effects and upgraded effects are in. All the mastery challenges for the weapons and weapon mods are in.

There are quite a few aspects of Embers Of Armageddon that I'm quite proud of. For starters, I modified D4T's weapon sprites further, improving/adding animations and the like, even adding mod-switching animations to the Gauss Cannon and Chaingun. A friend of mine contributed blue muzzleflashes for the Chaingun for its Uranium-Coated rounds. On top of that, it's totally generic. That's right... I structured the mod to be able to work generically, on any monster... without said monsters needing to be specially coded to react to these effects in the first place. :D This means that the Stun Bomb will work on any monster (though I coded it to not work on bosses). Headshots can be performed on any monster (aim for the top 1/6th of an actor's hitbox to perform a headshot). You can stagger/Glory Kill any monster! And about half of this stuff is now being carried via ZScript... my very first attempt at using ZScript in my own projects.

I'm missing a lot of assets, though, and it's full of placeholders... though I really wanted to get the gameplay aspect done first. Right now, I'm trying to recreate the effects of the In-Flight Mobility rune, because DOOM handles air control differently from GZDoom (because currently, you can go faster in GZDoom with air control because the speed you accrue midair actually *adds* to your current velocity, thereby allowing you to "bunny-hop"... I'm trying to disable that behavior of bunny-hopping, but I'm failing miserably). After that, I have three other runes to program, with their secondary effects, the Rune menu to program, the Rune Selection menu to program from the Rune Trial Stones (because I currently have no way of traversing between non-hub-linked maps as though they were linked by a hub map), and then determining and fine-tuning placement of such items and weapons. After that, it should be pretty much ready for an alpha release. :)

Ok, third... saw your car interiors... holy cow, lovin' that purple. :)

Me being the DOOM fanatic that I am... it reminds me of Quad Damage. :D

Alright, that's all for now. Peace!
Good to see you too, brother! But I think i understand now. lol I don't come here very often myself, but I've been checking in lately as part of my internet rotation (check my forums I attend real quick before Facebook etc.)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Just added some equipment to my home safe. It looks great, and I think it was money well spent.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

RexS wrote:Just added some equipment to my home safe. It looks great, and I think it was money well spent.
Image ?
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Ugh... the joys of homeownership are starting to really get to me...

The sellers of my house left behind this set of granite countertops. I'm not a small guy and I can only barely lift one side of the slabs. And it seems like nobody will take them. It's so incredibly frustrating, because I don't even want money. I just to see them gone.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well... That's rather bizarre sale strategy. I'm sure you haven't bought this countertop yet, so that's at least good thing. My solution so far is try to contact or wait for them, if they actually returns. And tell them you don't want that darn thing! However if they never arrives, just put it in the garage if you have one with help from your neighbor or maybe closest friends.

And speaking of which, I wish i had something for free for once. Something small, helpful and generous.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Just got the air filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires installed in my car. The mechanic forgot to ground the fuel level gauge, so now it reads empty, but he went out of his way to make sure I had this car working in time for my vacation next week (he stayed 8 hours late past his shop closing, I tipped him nicely.) I'll worry about that later. You need three things to run a car: Gas, Air, and Spark. Now I have all 3 running clean!
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Scripten wrote:I can only barely lift one side of the slabs.
Just pick up the one side and toss it onto a dolley or some kind of cart. Then wheel it out to your mailbox. Someone will take it, especially if you live in a lower income area.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

There may be local ordinances against doing that sort of thing though. Honestly just putting it on craigslist would be the best idea.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

We've tried to give them away on Craigslist, Freecycle, and by calling every stone/masonry and general subcontractor in the area. Nobody wants 'em. And the landfill doesn't take 'em.

Here's hoping Habitat for Humanity can take them.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

Perhaps this is the quandary the previous occupant encountered...do you like granite? Have you tried using them for a bathroom or something?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

If all else fails, maybe a kickass front walk? :P
hatakethecopyninja wrote:Perhaps this is the quandary the previous occupant encountered...
I find your vocabulary intriguingly relatable.

Return to “Off-Topic”