The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kaal979

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Kaal979 »

One can also do it without any protections only afterwards theres a white glowing ball in sight even with eyes closed for not less than one half hour!
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Kaal979 wrote:One can also do it without any protections only afterwards theres a white glowing ball in sight even with eyes closed for not less than one half hour!
You'll also get photokeratitis.
Oh, and of course, you could also go blind. Probably permanently, too.
(Depends on how long you stare at the sun, obviously)
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

Kaal979 wrote:One can also do it without any protections only afterwards theres a white glowing ball in sight even with eyes closed for not less than one half hour!
Even if you close your eyes for an half hour you can still get your eyes damaged looking at the sun for too long. But that's your call you do what ever you want.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Installed new hard drive. Couldn't clone the old drive, so I had to go use repair disks to make a new install. Over one gigabyte of updates to download just for Windows alone; lots of stuff to reinstall.

Fortunately, only the "system" partition had corrupt files; the "data" partition was intact, so I can get back pretty much everything important.
SwiftFunk
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SwiftFunk »

Am currently trying to beat The Big Black on Osu!. In other news, going out west in a few days.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Decided to replay Half Life 2 after seeing the recent run of it during SGDQ.

Thought I'd do achievement hunting while I'm at it. Just beat the beach level where you have to avoid stepping on the sand at all for an achievement.
Spent more time than I'd like to admit doing it, got to a generator that could turn on a thumper (preventing the bugs from approaching by whacking the ground).

I thought "what if this disqualified the achievement", then "nah that would be [censored word], the description does not infer that at all, besides all the objects hitting the ground or grenades blowing up don't trigger anything either", so i turned it on because why not.
You can probably guess where this is going. Shamelessly reloaded my save before the area and floated my sweet way through on 0 gravity. Cheers, Gaben
At least my lambda cache hunt has been 100% so far without a guide
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I didn't find the floor is now lava achievement to be that bad, mostly just tedious. its a bit nicer if you avoid getting the supply crates, since i mean you don't even need that ammo in the first place since you're not fighting anything in that area if you're not spawning anything. I didn't think turning on the thumper would disqualify the achievement, but I never tested that (kind of can't since I already have it achieved heh). I've never gotten the ravenholm achievement, I get halfway through and realize I'm just not having fun.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

<programmer rant incoming>
- Java's swing library has no real concept of DPI scaling. Time to move onto JavaFX I guess
- What's this, a convoluted install-only way to get a scene builder, no IDE integration either
- Okay who thought it would be a good idea to make the basic implementation assume an entire application per-window
- And why does the logger re-enable itself when I try to shut it off in advance

It's pretty usual for me to swear a bit when trying to learn a new framework but something tells me I'll be going out of my way in the future to use Swing instead wherever I can get away with it..
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

The sad truth is that a lot of free software is designed around how the creator wants to work with it. (Though the worst part is when a developer responds to complaints about their hardcoded crap with a caustic "do it yourself", as if 100% of users are there because they want to make tools for themselves.)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

^
Story of my life. My brother had such an experience with some game on Steam called... I can't remember at the moment... Evolution RTS? Anyway, the dev kept claiming that it was something so open and easy to mod and just about anyone could do it. My brother was the most prominent of the people who kept asking questions about where to begin. The dev didn't provide any kind of user manual or guide. Frustrated, the dev started posting these not-so-very-helpful videos that were meant more to vent his frustration against my brother than to help anyone learn anything about the game. Not much was even said... his tone was just were just very... VERY... patronizing, condescending, and sarcastic.

Unfortunately, at times, I feel like I'm beginning to go down that path myself. Becoming the "snobbish dev" who looks down upon scrubs for not being familiar with the code. I do understand some of the frustration... there are a bunch of people who suggest a lot of stuff, expecting mod devs to conform to their demands and don't do anything to code it themselves.

points to self

However, that's exactly the way I started. All developers, in order to best succeed, must remember their origin. They must all realize that they too were once at that point... where they had no idea what to do. That's probably the reason why I lurk on the "How Do I...?" thread so much... because whenever I ask a question there, I also admit that I don't know everything each and every time. Furthermore, whenever I'm able to help people with their questions, I know that I'm helping people along with their projects, and I'm one step further from becoming the "jerk dev". It keeps one humble, lemme tell ya. :D

Not to mention, I always remember the actions of the jerk dev that treated my brother like crap. So that helps because I'm reminded that this level of jerky (kek) exists. I knew that I didn't want to "be that guy" the moment I saw him.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

DoomKrakken wrote:However, that's exactly the way I started. All developers, in order to best succeed, must remember their origin. They must all realize that they too were once at that point... where they had no idea what to do. That's probably the reason why I lurk on the "How Do I...?" thread so much... because whenever I ask a question there, I also admit that I don't know everything each and every time. Furthermore, whenever I'm able to help people with their questions, I know that I'm helping people along with their projects, and I'm one step further from becoming the "jerk dev". It keeps one humble, lemme tell ya. :D

Not to mention, I always remember the actions of the jerk dev that treated my brother like crap. So that helps because I'm reminded that this level of jerky (kek) exists. I knew that I didn't want to "be that guy" the moment I saw him.
This *is* a double edged sword, though, when said developer does not get anything in return for their work. Encountering a snobbish dev sucks, but remember that they were the ones who took the time to make those tools in the first place. It really comes down to - if you can't resolve your problems, cut your losses and move on. I know that's easy for me to say, being a dev myself, but trust and believe I am coming from a sympathetic place with this - just sympathetic to both sides.

Remember that a free dev is not, and never will be, your slave. They are not obligated to do anything for you. The moment you forget that, is the very moment they take their work and disappear forever.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

^
Also true. I forgot to mention that.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I don't disagree - I've been programming since I first got my own computer - but open source should never be a crutch to avoid improving anything that "works fine". (For example: No text editor should ever feature auto-indent without the option to turn it off.)

This got me wondering again... Why did the German release of Doom not simply include alternative textures & sounds for the bad stuff? Was it considered too risky at the time to include the layouts of the Wolfenstein levels at all?

After a few hours hacking away at RPGMaker, I've gotten the rudimentary built-in dual-wielding system to play nice with other features. It'll now properly lock out the second weapon slot for two-handers, plus it'll properly create averaged damage between the two weapons' formulas. A nice change from "I guess I just won't use dual wielding", to be sure. :D
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NeuralStunner wrote:This got me wondering again... Why did the German release of Doom not simply include alternative textures & sounds for the bad stuff? Was it considered too risky at the time to include the layouts of the Wolfenstein levels at all?
Easier to remove it than to allocate time for the texture/sprite artists to do new stuff. Then again, there are some pretty fitting alternatives to those resources in both the GBA game and in Wolfenstein: The New Order's version of the level.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

if you're curious this is what they did for the gba doom 2 version of those levels, with the original doom palette. I believe the unsightly chap in the photos is Deathshead from RTCW. SNES Wolf since they removed the nazi references in the first place kept the portraits but removed the red band. These aren't really usable as is though since they're 32x32.

also what the hell did they replace the eagle with in the german version of TNO? is that a mouse? I honestly can't tell.

Return to “Off-Topic”