The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
zrrion the insect

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by zrrion the insect »

Basically everything is comparable with jrpgs. Just cram the mechanics into the battle system and away you go.

6DOF + pinball would be difficult to pull off.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Fuuuuuuuck holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I am never touching caffeine again because it's clear I can't moderate myself on the stuff and when I inevitably have too much I'm like thiiiiiiiiis.
Trance

Post by Trance »

^ If you want an illustration of 6DOF pinball, just watch this guy on caffeine.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Can confirm, am moving so fast my afterimages turned into multiballs.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

As a Caffeine person that cannot be stopped from drinking coffee, it is REAL pain when you have to sleep in middle of the night, after drinking coffee or other caffeine goodies. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Dancso wrote:"mix 2 genres that are incompatible"
Roguelike + rhythm game! Oh wait. :P

I think it's hard to call most combinations strictly incompatible. Even two seemingly contradictory genres, such as real-time strategy and turn-based strategy, can be mixed well.

The only thing I can think of that would actually not work is just about anything + casual clicker. I also thought of "6DOF shooter + golf" which actually sounds freakin' amazing.
Forklift driving simulator + real time strategy.

It's probably compatible, I just want to see the justification used.

Inversely, you can take two genres that are seemingly compatible, and make an unwieldy game out of them. I remember a game magazine made an April's Fool about "Sim Civ" which was basically Sid Meier's Civilization where each city was micromanaged through Sim City 2000. Sounds cool, until you realize how tedious it'd be to make an empire with more than one city in it.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Some of my genre mash-ups:

SURVIVAL HORROR + SPORTS: compete in multiple events, train up your atheletes, gain access to new events and finally play in the big season. However, money is extremely scarce, some events are clearly rigged, and there is some... thing... following you in every event. The 100m dash becomes a very, very different race.

FIRST PERSON PARTY BASED DRIVING SIMULATOR: take your truck across over 100km of cross-country terrain. Work together to fix problems, dig your motor out of bogs, and fight over which station to play on the radio. Level up stats such as "staying awake for hours" and "not relying on the sat-nav" while avoiding debuffs such as "awkward silence" and "chronic flatulence".

ROGUELIKE LIFE SIMULATION: Like The Sims, but you can die. At any time. And it probably isn't even your fault.

RACING SIMULATOR TOWER DEFENCE: online versus gameplay, with 1-15 drivers versus either another player or the AI. Collect authentic licenced cars, drive through accurately modeled cities, test your skills on amazingly detailed real-life test-tracks. Or set up a load of catapults, archers, wizards and cannons and blow those smug Masarati drivers off the road.

MUSIC/RHYTHM BASED STEALTH GAME: This..... probably wouldn't work out.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Vostyok wrote: SURVIVAL HORROR + SPORTS: compete in multiple events, train up your atheletes, gain access to new events and finally play in the big season. However, money is extremely scarce, some events are clearly rigged, and there is some... thing... following you in every event. The 100m dash becomes a very, very different race.
WELCOME TO THE ZOMBOLYMPICS.

IF YOU DON'T WIN

YOU'LL JUST BE DEAD TIRED.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Vostyok wrote:FIRST PERSON PARTY BASED DRIVING SIMULATOR
"Slow & Furious" :P
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Vostyok wrote:MUSIC/RHYTHM BASED STEALTH GAME: This..... probably wouldn't work out.
It could actually work, something like crypt of the necromancer-esque and that one payday level that everyone hated in execution and mash it up.

Time gunshots to beats to cover them up! all guards patrol (move and turn) to a beat! change the music for interesting openings! Could possibly make for an interesting combination.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Today's Delivery: Nightfall in Middle-Earth and A Night at the Opera. Slowly working my way back to 1988. :D (Or not so slowly, I guess.)
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

Vostyok wrote: SURVIVAL HORROR + SPORTS: compete in multiple events, train up your atheletes, gain access to new events and finally play in the big season. However, money is extremely scarce, some events are clearly rigged, and there is some... thing... following you in every event. The 100m dash becomes a very, very different race.
so, graduation day, the game?
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

NeuralStunner wrote:Today's Delivery: Nightfall in Middle-Earth and A Night at the Opera. Slowly working my way back to 1988. :D (Or not so slowly, I guess.)
I didn't know you were a Blind Guardian fan, too.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Vostyok wrote:MUSIC/RHYTHM BASED STEALTH GAME: This..... probably wouldn't work out.
Well Rhythm Heaven styled gameplay would do the trick. :P
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Lol. Guys.

If you can make these ideas work, you can have them.

Return to “Off-Topic”