The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
DoomKrakken

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by DoomKrakken »

Holy cow, I didn't realize that.

Never heard of the guy either. Also, didn't know that Dancso was being sarcastic...

Now it makes even more sense. :)
Ultrayoba wrote:Hey, guys, I do my first map on ZDoom builder... it in vanilla doom format and hope I done all good
I also add custom music http://dropmefiles.com/b67KE

http://imgur.com/a/8HRZX - some screenshots :)
Ooh... that looks fun! :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

He's encouraging me to speed along the phpBB integration I had been planning.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Found some old television. Video games are cool.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Way cool and Retrospective! Is there any more games to play with?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Rachael wrote:He's encouraging me to speed along the phpBB integration I had been planning.
PhpBB integration to what? The Mantis bug reporting site?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Just getting out of the subject for a while.

I was listening to the SNES OST of Killer Instinct and felt i could remix Chief Thunder's theme song.

https://soundcloud.com/gabriel_almeida9 ... ders-theme

See what you guys think.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Well, damn... I tried to see if the newer version of GZDoom would not crash or lock up my computer while playing Guncaster, due to some issues with garbage collection that I saw were fixed. However, it's coming up with all sorts of error messages I've never seen before... and now I can't play Guncaster except on the version that crashes occasionally. :(

Yes, I posted a report in Mantis BT.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I'm pretty certain the guy is a troll and is responsible for hacking most of the abandoned accounts here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

4thcharacter wrote:I'm pretty certain the guy is a troll and is responsible for hacking most of the abandoned accounts here.
I am pretty certain I do not want to entertain such thoughts here.

This is at best accusatory and at worst hysterical, and while neither of these people are desirable to have, to imply they are the same person with absolutely no proof is really quite bad.

If you can support this statement with well thought out reasoning before throwing such remarks out like that, it would be a lot better.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

4thcharacter wrote:I'm pretty certain the guy is a troll and is responsible for hacking most of the abandoned accounts here.
The guy responsible for the account hackings outed himself on Doomworld a while back and got perma'd from there for his troubles. I forget his username, but he's not Rising Fenix.

Fenix is just some dude who wants to be praised for something he doesn't know how to do based on some buzzwords he heard somewhere. He's a big ol' dunce, and he's bizarrely persistent in his efforts, but he's not actively antagonistic.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

leileilol wrote:Some think multithreading can magically apply to everything and some want to be so entitled for games to use 100% of their processor no matter what, like believing the hype around that TDM MinGW package to automatically parallelize all functions, tacking on -march=native and all the sse/avx flags will make everything super fast (spoiler: it won't). Given that he can't even compile gzdoom on his own I doubt it.
Yes, it's really odd. Some people, even otherwise knowledgeable ones, sometime think that using a specific feature will bring some magic speedup. The two biggest ones I had serious clashes over with some hard to convince people:

OpenGL immediate mode is slow, moving everything to buffers will dramatically speed up your code:
Sorry, no. This works when you have stuff that contains a lot of vertices that can be output as a single large mesh. In that particular use case it indeed can being a 10-100x speedup - but not for Doom map geometry. A normal wall has 4-10 vertices, and the time saved by having the vertices ready in a buffer is minimal. It adds up when you got 10000 walls but even on a map like Frozen time it's like 44 fps vs. 48 fps roughly, i.e. 10% performance gain on NVidia and none at all on AMD because it all gets negated by their driver overhead.

Using SSE2 for floating point math is significantly better than the old x87 instruction set
I have seen benchmarks for some older systems, when SSE2 was new that it could be up to 40% faster. The problem is, these systems are long gone and in modern CPUs, say everything from the last 10 years the differences are utterly marginal, some even slightly favoring x87 speed-wise. And still, you get some people who suggest to write multiple code paths to get the most juice out of every imaginable CPU out there and of course those who accuse you of improper research. Now, what more can you do is than running some math stuff in a loop and timing it all? And it always comes back the same: Aside from minor fluctuations there's no timing differences on modern systems. Not enough for a true believer (which normally means: belief in the marketing, not belief in the facts.)
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

About the SSE2 thing, this really depends a lot on the memory access patterns. The physical ALUs in the CPU are the same, so whether it is asked to use a x87 or a SSE register seems to make little difference. On the other hand, if the out of order memory loads gets too complex you could have a situation where not all the ALUs get data in time. The SSE registers pretty much guarantee that you'll have 4 floats lined up, but the catch is that if the SSE load is delayed you end up in an even worse situation than if you use plain x87.

I've also noticed that older compilers, and MSVC in particular, seem to be very poor at vectorizing things. I've often got a considerable speed boost by throwing in some SSE at right spot with MSVC, but with LLVM I haven't gained any speed whatsoever by trying to vectorize the LLVM IR instructions. I think as time move forward you'll see a situation where the compilers get good enough at throwing in SSE instructions when analysis shows it is worth it, and for the remaining cases there will be very few situations where you'll gain anything by doing SSE by hand.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

But Doom has little code where vectorization would be doable. I guess it could do it for a handful of vector additions etc. somewhere but that'd hardly make any difference overall.
What I mean is people who spread boilerplate advice without ever verifying the specific situation where such code may be used.

It needs to make a real difference when changing isolated spots, and not spreading special handling everywhere and not getting anything in return. About MSVC, it doesn't vectorize anything at all. That much I could already see in the disassembly.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

abbuw wrote:Found some old television. Video games are cool.
Nice Genesis you got here.

Return to “Off-Topic”